Swine Flu
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Swine Flu Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Swine Flu

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Swine Flu Empty Swine Flu

Post by Guest Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:00 pm

Swine influenza (also swine flu, hog flu,[1] and pig flu[1]) refers to influenza caused by any strain of the influenza virus endemic in pigs (swine). Strains endemic in swine are called swine influenza virus (SIV).[1]

Of the three genera of human flu, two are endemic also in swine: Influenzavirus A is common and Influenzavirus C is rare.[2] Influenzavirus B has not been reported in swine. Within Influenzavirus A and Influenzavirus C, the strains endemic to swine and humans are largely distinct.

Swine flu is common in swine in the midwestern United States (and occasionally in other states), Mexico, Canada, South America, Europe (including the United Kingdom, Sweden, and Italy), Kenya, China, Japan, Taiwan, and other parts of eastern Asia.[1]

Swine flu is rare in humans. People who work with swine, especially people with intense exposures, are at risk of catching swine influenza if the swine carry a strain able to infect humans. However, these strains infrequently circulate between humans as SIV rarely mutates into a form able to pass easily from human to human. In humans, the symptoms of swine flu are similar to those of influenza and of influenza-like illness in general, namely chills, fever, sore throat, muscle pains, severe headache, coughing, weakness and general discomfort.

The new strain of swine influenza A (H1N1) involved in the 2009 flu outbreak in humans is a reassortment of several strains of influenza A virus subtype H1N1 that are, separately, endemic in humans, endemic in birds, and endemic in swine. Preliminary genetic characterization found that the hemagglutinin (HA) gene was similar to that of swine flu viruses present in United States pigs since 1999, but the neuraminidase (NA) and matrix protein (M) genes resembled versions present in European swine flu isolates. Viruses with this genetic makeup had not previously been found to be circulating in humans or pigs, but there is no formal national surveillance system to determine what viruses are circulating in pigs in the United States.[55] The origins of this new strain remain unknown.

2009 flu outbreak:

The earliest confirmed case in Mexico occurred in La Gloria, Veracruz.[56]. Residents of La Gloria have long complained about the clouds of flies that are drawn to the so-called 'manure lagoons' created by such mega-farms.[57] While a large percentage of residents fell ill before the test was developed for the novel flu virus, only one of the available samples when rechecked proved to be positive.

The current strain of swine flu can spread more efficiently human-to-human than previously known swine H1N1 strains. After its initial detection in the U.S. and Mexico, it was soon detected in a number of patients in several countries who had travelled to Mexico. By April 30, except in the southern U.S., transmission to individuals who had not travelled to Mexico had occurred in only a small number of individuals in close contact with someone who had. The new strain of swine influenza A (H1N1) is currently listed by the United States and World Health Organization as a Phase 5 pandemic virus

What are you thoughts and concerns with this? Are you worried about it?

Last edited by Zoe Weasley on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:05 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swine_influenza]Swine Flu Info[/url])
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Swine Flu Empty Re: Swine Flu

Post by Jess Potter Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:29 pm

Yeah, i guess so. However, Australia is holding out with no confirmed reports. We have security measures, and we're basically surviving. However there are unconfimed illnesses
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:32 pm

I think last count there were 2 confirmed dead in the US. But that was this morning. I just recieved a txt on my phone saying there have been 2 confirmed cases of it in my state. One of which is about 15 mins away from me.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ne'Os Emof Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:07 pm

only one person is dead in the u.s. so far and that was a 8 month year old in texas it has just reached 100 cases and thats it i not realy seeing why the CDC rasied the threat level to one udner pandemic the normal flu claims more victems than this one has...but there still is time i guess. luckly Colorado has not got any reports of the flu yet.
Ne'Os Emof
Ne'Os Emof
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Number of posts : 5547
Special Abilities : Wandless magic, Invisibility

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:20 pm

There was one in California also.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ne'Os Emof Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:24 pm

oh..i just looked at the news i cant find anything on the scond person but there two cases of the flu in my state now...hmm no school links though so thats ok i dont want to have to go to school during my summer break lol. just have to make it until the 22 of this month.
Ne'Os Emof
Ne'Os Emof
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:33 pm

Of next month you mean. May hasn't come just yet. I don't really know much about the deaths. I just go by the txts I get from the local news stations.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ne'Os Emof Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:37 pm

oh lol well 8 deaths in Mexico two in the u.s. and i think 2 in New Zealand so Australia is not safe lol its getting closer to you guys.
Ne'Os Emof
Ne'Os Emof
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikki Lestrange Sat May 02, 2009 10:35 am

*screams like a girl and runs away*

*Comes back to this thread after 2 minutes*

Anyhoo..Yeah, well, I am both concerned and not really.
My mum keeps asking me to wash my hands after we go
shopping and stuff.
I am not allowed to get sick or get a cold anymore or else
it will most likely cause pain in my back, which last year
I got a bar put in. I had scoliocis and the doctors made it
straight with a rod, heck it even hurts to sneeze!
Anyhoo, I will be getting flu shots soon.
Nikki Lestrange
Nikki Lestrange

Number of posts : 6103
Special Abilities : Legilimency, Apparation

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 03, 2009 10:11 pm

I think this whole thing will pass soon, or they will find a cure, blah, blah, blah. I dont have it so i really dont care about it Neutral
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top