Kick things off - Page 4
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Kick things off - Page 4 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Kick things off

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kick things off - Page 4 Empty Re: Kick things off

Post by Darren Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:37 am

Danny Thompson wrote:Seems like we got enough people in classes now Very Happy

No we don't, actually. They are just active. That does not mean we have enough students. The reason that the classes are going well is because we merged all years into one class.
Darren
Darren

Number of posts : 22273
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Leglimens,

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:52 am

Anyway, double post but I'll comment on the rest of the things now. I'm sure I'll offend some of you in some way, but I guess it's better than no answer.
By the way, there is some hostility against the admins here, and I'm not liking that much. Trust me, we're all ready to give up our positions and etc. for you guys if there is a good reason.

I just think the members are waiting for something to do.

The reason members aren't stepping up to ask for challenging jobs is they're afraid of the admins. I would be intimidated if an admin held a powerful job and I wanted to take it away from them. If we advertised them better as well it could work better. But as soon as that position is filled people assume it's off limits. And when an admin holds it, it seems twice as off limits.

We need to ask the members! Get a tally, don't go off their word or anything, honestly don't be like "Hey, we need this position filled, who wants it!" Present them the idea, tell people to look at it daily, get their input on it, and see what THEY think about it. It really sucks being a member sometimes, because you just don't know what's going on with the plot.

It sucks being an admin even more. Your like a worker at Disneyland.

Anyway, I don't think you guys should speak for all the members. You guys represent the very small few who participate in our plots. Most of the other members don't really care about the plot. Perhaps that's our fault, but in my 5 year experience the main problems have been:
a) Low member base. We've usually had .. 15-30 members on PA. No more than that. That's usually not enough for big plots if..
b) Some members don't participate, no matter how good the plot is. Yeah we can't do anything to fix this.
c) Closed plotting. This happens quite often. Take the last plot, people in power positions controlled the plot and roleplayed with each other, ignoring everyone else. That makes it difficult for the newer members to get involved. However, I think we've opened up a bit now, so this is no longer a major problem.

Still, I know that there are some members who want to participate. In the dramatis personae thread Aaron, Haley, Louis, Madd, Jas and Shacklebolt all posted their characters history (something that, by the way, none of you besides Khaat and Jack did.) Clearly they want to be part of a good plot and we owe them (and you lot) something good. For that reason we are considering Jack's plot. I quite like it actually, I agree that the dystopian setting is awesome, but we're going to wait for Jess to come back before starting anything new.

So what I was thinking we do is have a thread like this at PA discussion. Wait and see what plot ideas other members have. Then perhaps present our ideas and see how members like them.

Oh, and positions. My personal rule is that admins should hold as few positions as possible. However, sometimes it is necessary to hold them as members have done a pretty bad job in the past. They hold the positions, but only roleplay and plot with their friends. But as I said, I think that things have changed lately. So we may make some changes with the positions, but not until the next update.
Darren
Darren

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny Thompson Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:04 am

Darren wrote:Still, I know that there are some members who want to participate. In the dramatis personae thread Aaron, Haley, Louis, Madd, Jas and Shacklebolt all posted their characters history (something that, by the way, none of you besides Khaat and Jack did.)

*cough**cough*

But yeah, I can see what you mean. I just like to think of the overall people that want to add something productive as a part of the majority, even if that's the wrong thing to do. I personally believe now that we should let the PA members, the majority I mean this time, offer us some ideas. Really get some other input in.
Danny Thompson
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 317
Special Abilities : Animagus

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:09 am

Rofl, sorry Junior Razz
Darren
Darren

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:23 am

I meant no hostility. Both Matt and I have been admins- we know how hard it is. I appreciate the HELL out of you guys. If it ever sounds like I am downplaying you or accusing you of anything, please understand it is not my view but what I fear members MIGHT be thinking. I think you guys are great!

In response to Darren

a) Molly is helping with that. The important thing is helping guests. I had to help a guest today after they had been relatively ignored awhile.
b) Some people will never change there, but I think some really are just nervous about 'messing things up.'
c) Closed plotting does need to happen sometimes, but that's why our new plot needs to have less build up and planning, and should just... happen.

I know that last point probably sounded ridiculous. I'm too tired to phrase it the way I mean. Hopefully you can decipher XD
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10287
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

https://jackles-feels-feelings.polyvore.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:16 am

Jack? Really? Ignored? Do you really think that we admins are just sitting online like hawks waiting for someone to pop into the cbox with an issue so we can drop in and take care of it the instant it hits? Just because we're logged in doesn't mean we're not busy. Eli saw it sooner than I did, and I thought she was on it relatively quickly. By the time codes, she was there on cbox within 10 minutes.

Here's a huge part of the problem as I see it. We are members too. When did that get lost? The hostility here in this forum is ridiculous. The "We" versus 'them' business I've been seeing has truly driven me away from having much to do with this forum this week. It is impossible to read this forum's posts and not see that some members have been free to say anything they want and have. No matter how their words might hurt anyone else. And they haven't seemed to me like they've given a dang about that. I thought I knew each one of you better than that, but apparently I don't. And apparently those of you who were admins have not needed that style of thinking for some time now because I dont see much evidence of it in the writings you've done this week.

I am sick of the apparent underlying belief that we can't be members too. That we can't be perhaps off posting or doing something else insteand of just being poised to drop in. Eli's response time was faster than mine, and she was completely appropriate. Its wonderful that you could apply within seconds, but a nonresponse from an admin within 10 minutes is not a sign anyone was ignored. Its a sign that perhaps there is a live person there who is multitasking. As you said, you were an admin and you should know that.

Personally, I am grateful you were there to help Jack, but don't you dare imply we ignored anyone because thats just not true.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 23623
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:10 pm

Well I think you guys should have a read of Khaat's post, but let's stick to the topic. I don't want this argument to go any further.

a) Molly is helping with that. The important thing is helping guests. I had to help a guest today after they had been relatively ignored awhile.

They have numerous guides and an FAQ at their disposal if they have questions. Guests don't need us to be there to welcome them 24/7, although it is good if we do. The important thing is to present to them an image of a site they would like to join. Friendly members, many posts, talking on the cbox, plotting going on and a good plot. I think we have most of those bases covered actually. We may have to work on editing the main plot a little bit. The voldemort plot and etc. are mostly irrelevant now.

b) Some people will never change there, but I think some really are just nervous about 'messing things up.'

That's what Amelia once told me so I believe it. Though I'm not sure where they get this impression from.

c) Closed plotting does need to happen sometimes, but that's why our new plot needs to have less build up and planning, and should just... happen.

It would be nice for the plot to be spontaneous, but it won't. A revolution is very complex and would require a lot of planning. We just have to make sure the members get involved in any planning we do. Which makes me wonder where the Plot Discussion forum went :/
Darren
Darren

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny Thompson Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:51 pm

If I have meant any disrespect to admins, I apologize, was never trying to come off like that. Just trying to offer some new ideas for the site to go by is all I am proposing. All in all, I just want to see everyone have some fun on this site and not let everything become a huge problem. But in terms of plotting, I just think we need a lot more input from the members themselves and see how that does. I would suggest making a Sonorus in PA discussion and have people offer ideas through PM or something, see who would really be interested in getting a plot set up and possibly even stick with it, yet I'm not sure if someone said this before, but I feel as if we need more people on this site to make anything work.
Danny Thompson
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Um... whoa. I wasn't even referring to admins, just in general. There were quite a few members online as well, and I didn't mean just admins. Guests are not just an admin problem. I also said in my post I was tired and therefore not phrasing it the way I meant. I know you want us to talk about the plot, but I feel I need to clear this up. I honestly have NO HOSTILITY towards any of you guys. We might disagree at times, but I like you all, IC and OOC. Please don't ever assume I am attacking you guys. I only separate you from members because members do. I know you guys can be RPing- have I not RPed or plotted with, well, pretty much all of you in the past week. If I have offended you personally please point out where specifically so I can clarify. Or shoot me a PM.

I know a plot doesn't happen spontaneously, but the more we cut down on buildup, the better I think. I think when the major players are working on build up, the others might feel out of the loop when it starts.

We've done the Plot Ideas thread and it didn't work last time, so it'd have to be done differently somehow. However, we also had less members interested in the major goings on so who knows.

And yeah Andrew. Darren cited low member base as one of our problems. However, we always site that but the only person I know that advertises is Chase. That might be how she prefers it, but we should at least increase her salary or something. xD
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10287
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

https://jackles-feels-feelings.polyvore.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny Thompson Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:52 pm

We'll pay her a compliment a day in exchange for heavy advertising xD

But I just think that if we're gonna try to go with a plot idea, it should be short and sweet, little brackets of here and there stuff to keep the site interested and going. Harry didn't (technically) fight Voldemort during his first year, he was just trying to adjust being in a completely new world, and he still had some interesting stuff happen to him in that time. Maybe we take it slow like that, make up a tidbit or two and see where that will lead. It'll take some time to boost our numbers up anyway, may as well go for something short in the meanwhile.
Danny Thompson
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top