Kick things off - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Kick things off - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Kick things off

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kick things off - Page 2 Empty Re: Kick things off

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:13 pm

No. I don't like restrictions. Are you saying kick out the people who don't want to be in the plot? That's just not right. The plot is supposed to facilitate fun. Rules and plots and whatnot are just to keep the site going, but the whole purpose is for people to come and RP. Telling them they can't because they can't get on or they have never been interested in the plot is not right.

Bans don't work anyway. It just gets people to post less. I think we need to motivate, not punish.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10287
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

https://jackles-feels-feelings.polyvore.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny Thompson Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:18 pm

I'm not talking about banning anyone who is inactive, I'm not that cruel. I'm just talking about subtle things that could help improve one's performance for the site. We all here have a dedication towards this site, and we need to know who else on this site is dedicated as well. But I wouldn't be the one to decide these, it was just a suggestion.
Danny Thompson
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 317
Special Abilities : Animagus

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:24 pm

We've done that before, that's why we added "Purpose of Character." Everyone has that odd character not used for the plot. I do. I know the admins would admit to it. And I think we even tried a ban on neutral characters.

Not every person needs to be dedicated to the site. So long as they are not preventing us from doing anything there is no problem.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny Thompson Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:27 pm

I'm not just talking about the plot really, I just mean general affairs. Sure, we have some members that like to RP but they aren't really interested in the plot, that's cool and I'm okay with that. But right now, we all need to really put our heads together here and yet most of the site is separated in their state of mind. If we show that we are serious about being this kind of 'large PA family', then maybe they'll change their mind or something. Idk, I'm probably just babbling at this point.
Danny Thompson
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:30 pm

We have been trying. That was the main reason I did the PA telecast and why Molly tries to get the team speak going and why we have the facebook page. Maybe we just need one page advertising all of that. However, some people just don't really want to take part in there. Or don't have the time, etc.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew Lestrange Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:29 pm

Jesus, I had to read all of that. Thanks guys, lol. I don't do stuff like this too terribly well but I'm going to take a crack at it.

I am behind Jackles 100% with the totalitarian government. I think it's honestly easy enough to get into works. I don't see many obstacles getting in the way that we can't overcome. But if there are any you have please tell me them. Same goes for the spies. It's simple and easy to work even though it's overdone it really does work. Some of the most popular plots on various sites I've been on have been basic.

The reason members aren't stepping up to ask for challenging jobs is they're afraid of the admins. I would be intimidated if an admin held a powerful job and I wanted to take it away from them. If we advertised them better as well it could work better. But as soon as that position is filled people assume it's off limits. And when an admin holds it, it seems twice as off limits.

Elijah Krum wrote:I'm going to comment on the last sentence because I'm bitter.
I love you so much sometimes.

Perhaps before we go speaking for the members we should talk to them? Ask them what they would like. If we give them a bit more freedom with a plot perhaps that'd help. Just a suggestion I've been holding. Plus I have to say it at some point because I ALWAYS do.

My main suggestion is getting more members involved in the actual plotting. Not just plopping a plot in front of them. And not just important members like us, members like Jas or Hayley. Maybe even Ne'Os Aaron.

Seventh Year Slytherin
Seventh Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 6872

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny Thompson Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:38 pm

Well, I do like the plot idea of a totalitarian government, only if we changed it around a little bit to fit more towards the Harry Potter universe, but I do agree with Khaat when it comes to coordination. With the amount of people that aren't willing to participate, we need to make sure we have a decent amount of people fully invested in this. I suggest we go with something a little more mellow, just something to snag someone in and then we go through with this plot.

And again, not the grand poobah of all RP plots, but I still think we should stay true to some of the elements that made HP great. You know, that one evil dude that always pissed everyone off and we all cheered when he died. If we do roll with this totalitarian government idea, I think we need a more commanding force of it all, sorta like V for Vendetta.
Danny Thompson
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Chastity Moor Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:45 pm

I guess my biggest issue with everything said above, which I had to read all at one time cause my activity tends to... fluctuate, is that you all make it sound like EVERYONE needs to be on at the same time.. you make it sound like it needs to happen FAST. Things don't have to happen fast, and they really won't now that school has started back up for some people.

I agreed with whoever said it before, I think it was Matt? We need to ask the members! Get a tally, don't go off their word or anything, honestly don't be like "Hey, we need this position filled, who wants it!" Present them the idea, tell people to look at it daily, get their input on it, and see what THEY think about it. It really sucks being a member sometimes, because you just don't know what's going on with the plot.

I LOVE the idea of the totalitarian government. I think it will work, the concerns about activity are minor in my eyes. Sure you need people to post to keep it going, like always, but the plot gives people a chance to get involved if they WANT to, and there are quite a few people who want involved.

I agree with Matt on another issue as well. Get admins out of head positions. People ARE afraid of it, believe it or not. When an admin has a head role, no one wants to even pretend to look at the role, it's a "Oh.. they are there, nevermind." Not a "Oh.. they are there.. I'm going to make this character anyway and get them kicked out!"

I think the people behind the figure head should be quiet though Danny. When I say quiet, I'm referring back to Jack's main post on the whole plot idea. The people in the back doing the enforcing, but not really seen as much as the figurehead.

I don't know if what I said literally just repeated and agreed with stuff, but it's true, I love the idea of this site plot, and I think it will work if we concentrate LESS on the member activity issue (Because we all know there are people who will fill the roles, sometimes you just have to ask). We need to make head positions more available, and open up some avenues.. Give people the availability to try something new, and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work..
Chastity Moor
Chastity Moor

Number of posts : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:42 pm

^^ I concur with all.

I think the thing is, the point of the site is not to complete this site plot. It's to have it as a background for all of our posting. The hardest part of that, I know, is communicating to members the importance of the plot, but perhaps we should embrace that it is just background to them. If they don't want to be involved, there's no point forcing them. The site is here so they can do what they want with their characters, not so we can complete site plots.

I know members don't always communicate when we ask them too, so it needs to be more direct. Not "send in your ideas and concerns" but "Who would be interested in a main job" "Who would be interested in this plot" and "What do you think we should do- ideas for the plot, events, etc."

On a positive note, classes seem to be going well! Although, DADA is still not up, and the only sub professor is already doing Charms.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Chastity Moor Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:35 pm

Good point Jackles, we don't HAVE to make the site plot the BIGGEST thing in history, like she said, it doesn't need to be foremost on everyone's mind.. if we let this one take longer.. work it's way into the back of everyone's mind almost, and then hit them with something exciting? Or even target certain members.. have them say they are interested, and have something in the plot target them, stir things up...

I'm actually enjoying classes too! I've put my characters in some classes, and I'm going to continue posting I think Razz
Chastity Moor
Chastity Moor

Number of posts : 2008

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top