Open topics, and ways to RP - Page 4
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Open topics, and ways to RP - Page 4 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Open topics, and ways to RP

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Open topics, and ways to RP - Page 4 Empty Re: Open topics, and ways to RP

Post by HafizDeen Diggory Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:11 am

totally agree with u mighty Jess.. lol
HafizDeen Diggory
HafizDeen Diggory

Number of posts : 864
Special Abilities : Parseltongue

Back to top Go down

Post by Elijah Krum Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:58 pm

It's an unspoken RP rule that you match what the other person is posting. No one should have to be told that. It's manners. It's polite. It also makes the other person believe that you actually want to roleplay with them.

Large posts are better than short ones in so many ways. You explore your character, the other person begins to understand your character, and your character really reacts in the situation. A thread isn't all about speech. Threads tend to be a lot deeper when there's barely anything said. Words paint a picture and a picture is worth a thousand words.

Plus, if all you write is a tiny bit of reaction and some speech then after a while all of your characters are going to sound the same and no one will know whether it's Sadie, John or Maggie that their character is with.
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 4833
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Parseltongue, Animagus
Occupation : Owner of Eli's Fine Dining, Artist, Deputy Minister of Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:44 am

I can understand what you're saying Eli, but if I've started a topic, and said that I'm just going to be posting a paragraph, then I will do that, whether you like it or not. You choose to write a short story, not me, and in order for me to continue enjoying myself, I will continue posting at my comfort level.

If you think it's rude to have people not match your big long post, I think it's doubly as rude to make people post at lengths they don't want to.
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Post by Zara Ellis Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:52 am

if it's an open post they are posting to.. then how is it rude to ask that the person posts at the same length as you? it was open, they CHOSE to go into that post.. it's not rude if it's their own choice to go into a post that is longer...

But the whole point of this discussion, was saying that people need to post shorter posts, not trying to convince people to post HUGE posts... I'm confused at your comment saying 'You choose to write a short story, not me, and in order for me to continue enjoying myself, I will continue posting at my comfort level. '

that's fine and dandy good for you! We aren't asking people to change their ways of rping... but you seem to be.. because yes, us longer posters, we tend to get annoyed with short posts, just because we see the potential in these posts, and the person only speaks and then does a single action.. when inside.. there is such more going on.. sometimes things such as one tiny movement changes an entire post.. puts more depth behind a person, makes a character not just a flat thing, but gives them a dimension that real people have... You see BEHIND the eyes, you see a sparkle, a light, and a soul developing from your fingertips... longer posts help to make that.. instead of a ton of short little posts, of just speaking... sure people speak, but sometimes, where the person is looking changes the entire post.

If you've ever read Memoirs of a Geisha.. you'd have learned the importance of little details... things like where the eyes go.. when you are looking away from someone... say at the gutters along a roof... it can go from just looking at something with mild interest, to being to afraid to look at someone.. but if you look at the ground, and when you pass, flick the eyes upwards, all of a sudden it's like you want to speak to someone and don't know what to do or say. Details make a person real, and put a certain demension behind them, that words just can't do... This is why people like me and Elijah post such long posts, we enjoy making this soul in our minds.. we enjoy the reaction... and if someone doesn't want to post.. they don't have to.. it's all I'm saying.
Zara Ellis
Zara Ellis

Number of posts : 228

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Majere Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:02 pm

Long posts are annoying. I find that very few of them are filled with meaningful sentences which someone can reply to. Most people just throw in a lot of random stuff just for the sake of making their post long, and in the end, their post just becomes very hard to read through. In my opinion, you can say everything you want to in a post in 2-4 paragraphs, max 5, or 500-600 words. If you have a lot to say and its not all just random words, then go ahead and do more then that. The problem is that most long posts are just not interesting. Putting a maximum word count is just stupid though, so I'm not sure how to solve this problem.

One good point that was made in this topic is the amount of characters. I have just one character, but he is well developed and has plenty of contacts with other RPers. Many members are now creating characters just because their friends wants them too. Usually these characters fill in an important part of the other characters plot then just dissapear. I think these characters are lifeless. Instead of asking your friends to make new characters, why not just roleplay with a different member? IMO, this makes PA into a much more closed site. Closed meaning that most members only roleplay with a few others. To stop this, we should have a cap on how many characters one member can have. say 6-7 max. Some members here have around 14-15. Thats just not realistically manageable.
Vincent Majere
Vincent Majere

Number of posts : 836

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter "Xem" Charcovix Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:11 pm

Heh vincent your first paragraph is basically what I said. That's why I can't read Chase's,Eli's,Darren's,Ginerva's posts.It's because they are just too long and some of them have no meaning.

I agree with your second paragraph as well.What's the point of having 14-15 characters,that's nuts.I only have 2, one good, one bad but they need to have,sad,happy,mischevious,nice,mean,angry. It's just annoying.
Walter
Walter "Xem" Charcovix
Fifth Year Gryffindor
Fifth Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 823

http://theroleplayzone.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:01 pm

Whoa! Xem, I can understand if you don't like reading long posts, and you have the right to not like long posts. But its not okay to diss someone else's writing. I rarely see someone post with no meaning behind them. And in the list you gave, none of those folks have ever, to the best of my knowledge done meaningless posts.

If you arent' involved in a thread w/ them, then, while I appreciate your input on the overall writing of PA, perhaps the longer posts aren't as meaningful to you because you're not actively involved in some of those threads.

I rp with some of those folks regularly, and I find the information they contain to be very useful and some of that "extra stuff" as you seem to think it is, is very useful to help me understand whats going on with their characters and it often cues me on what I need to be doing with mine.

Its okay for you all to express your opinions, but its not okay to diss someone else or their writing in your expression of your opinion.

As far as multiple characters, the rule is, and has always been, that the maximum number of characters without admin permission is 5. That isn't likely to change. Those people who have more than that have had administration approval because we feel that either they can handle it or that the new character to be added is necessary for one reason or another. We don't just add them without thought.

k.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 23615
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter "Xem" Charcovix Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:09 pm

well I'm not really dissing anyone,just stating my opinion Smile .I also said some,hardly,but some.And if you believe none well all that is still opinion. If anything I think they'd consider it as a compliment, writing so much that a person can't read it, I know I would.I just can't stand meaningless posts

Aurora told me they had about 15, but maybe she lied whatever
Walter
Walter "Xem" Charcovix
Fifth Year Gryffindor
Fifth Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 823

http://theroleplayzone.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Elijah Krum Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:17 pm

Xem you don't even attempt to read the posts. You have no right to pass judgement on the posts if you don't read them; especially if you're just basing your assumptions and opinion on size alone. From the point of view of the person reading the post that who isn't in the thread then perhaps the content has no real significance for their own character but that doesn't make the posts meaningless as you so put it.

I don't think you'd like it at all if I turned around and said that you're posts were meaningless so please refrain from commenting about mine, Chase's, Darren's and Ginerva's in the same manner.
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 4833
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Parseltongue, Animagus
Occupation : Owner of Eli's Fine Dining, Artist, Deputy Minister of Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Can I just attempt, without causing another riot here, to explain our thoughts about shorter posts?

Its not to criticize anyone for their desire to write long posts. Nor to criticise those who want to write shorter ones. Largely, thats personal preference.

Here's our point. We need more people to post more often. Longer posts by and large take more time. There are people who will come onto PA and write one long post a day and then bugger back off. And if that's what they want to do, there's nothing we're going to do to change that.

However, what we're trying to ask is simply, wouldja consider, if those long posts take so much out of you--if it applies to you--to do some shorter ones too so that you post more often. The site needs more activity, and by that I mean more IC activity. Not just playing games. I mean actually doing IC rp.

I love long posts, and I love doing them. But when I do shorter posts, I can post more often and sometimes that is a lot more fun when I can keep that exchange going for awhile with another player. It also reduces my frustration when I can do that sometimes as opposed to waiting for days for someone to respond to one of my replies because they have difficulty getting up the time or energy to write a mega-post.

I'm just saying--Consider some variety here, all, for the sake of the site and for the sake of other players that would enjoy rp'ing with you!

Does that make sense?

K.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 23615
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top