Open topics, and ways to RP - Page 3
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Open topics, and ways to RP - Page 3 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Open topics, and ways to RP

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Open topics, and ways to RP - Page 3 Empty Re: Open topics, and ways to RP

Post by Jess Potter Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:49 am

That's true, and I have seen that sort of a thing happen before, believe me, it's completely unintentional.

Honestly, I just can't tell why people seem so attracted to RPing with me, must be my dry Aussie charm Wink

But yes, I think it comes from a lack of community sense. This is sort of like High school, with all its little cliques, we just need to scrap all of them and RP with everyone, like a warm fuzzy ending to some dramatic High School aged movie.
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucas Montez Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:22 pm

I liked it a long time ago when people just made lots of random interesting topics like everyday, and it didn't matter what happened (no plots intended) and it was always very fun and easy to reply with.

For example, my character becoming a vampire and someone's long lost sister wasn't planned, that's what really made posting on PA exciting, because I didn't know what was going to happen next.

Perhaps now that some people save their certain characters for certain people, that's why the won't RP randomly? Or maybe the incidents that will happen, they don't want to happen to their character.

Maybe this is why I've been slacking off and not coming on to PA as much, because everyone wants a plot....I try to have "plots" but I don't like them as you say, they're overly planned like a novel.
Lucas Montez
Lucas Montez

Number of posts : 412

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Nicholas Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:48 pm

We should ban "private" topics for a certain amount of time and see what happens. Might be interesting, especially if two threads...I dunno, merge? Think of it this way...

Thread A James, Jack, Keith are in the library, arguing over something.

Thread B Brienne and Xemnas are having a tutoring session.

So maybe Brienne and Xemnas are having their topic, and me Jack and James are having our topic, but Brienne notices that we're in the library too and decides to take her tutoring session to our thread and then we all start arguing with each other.

I dunno, kinda the way stuff works in real life. Meh.
Keith Nicholas

Number of posts : 986

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:57 pm

That's exactly how I'm seeing it Nikki, as more and more people make characters, not to have a fulfilling character, but to fulfill someone else's wants, or to fill a hole in a plot, that character is lifeless, and it's leeching the energy of the creator from more meaningful characters, so as a whole the site begins to suffer.

My prime example would be me going out with Mari, for reasons unknown to myself, my house was robbed, and I had to move in with her while I was dealing with it, which sparked our relationship.

Not one PM, and not one cbox or MSN conversation was used for organisation, it came solely from our characters, and from us, the most there might have been was an OOC comment or two in the RP. Because of that simple, random occurrence in a completely unstructured RP, we ended up in an IC relationship, which branched to a great OOC friendship, which then lasted for a good year, before I became a touch inactive (Whoops)

And that's what I think too, if it's not the sole reason, it's definitely a big part of it, isn't it?

Keith, I'm not sure "Banning" would be the best motive, some things are best done without interruptions, but I think that a very strong discouragement would be best, allow it for strong circumstances, but for the most part leave it like that.

And that idea you had, was how it used to happen, but again, the open topics disappeared, and that ceased to exist. I would love it if that started to happen Smile
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter "Xem" Charcovix Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:03 pm

I don't know about anyone else but I'd love to be forced to RP with someone else.It'll totally shake up the way I RP Very Happy
Walter
Walter "Xem" Charcovix
Fifth Year Gryffindor
Fifth Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 823

http://theroleplayzone.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Barker Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:17 pm

hmmm... I agree on a few parts of this... I agree that people need to post in open topics.. I tend to make open topics, but you just.. stop when no one will post in them, even after an rp request, if no one posts, why make them? You end up just staring at the post for days on end, wishing someone would post in it, cause you see all of the potential for it, and no one posts at all..

Now, I believe in Quality over Quantity.. but there are times... well lets just say I get REALLY annoyed reading short posts.. I say you have to MATCH the person you are posting with.. if a person posts a couple of paragraphs, cool! post a few back and have an awesome rp.... but say that person just had a TON of muse.. and put it ALL into one gigantic post! (I once had sooo much muse, I wrote an over 1000 word post, and a friend of mine, who also had a lot of muse replied back with more words in hers then I had in mine.. and we kept it that way for a few posts, it was quite awesome, and a lot of fun) Now, I don't mean to say EVERYONE needs to be posting 1000 word long posts.. but a few paragraphs can really make you upset when you spent a lot of time writing a really good post...

I dunno... I love open posts, it's how you make friends, it's how you have a really random adventure... open posts, mass threads, and the cbox... those are my fav things to look at when I want to make new friends.. but first you have to be willing to participate in an open thread in order to have fun with it.

-Chase
Felix Barker
Felix Barker
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter "Xem" Charcovix Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:25 pm

I have to disagree on that Chase.I think some people just post way to long,they post every,single,little detail that they are doing.If it's like a conversation I'd say 1-2 paragraphs,and if it's an important scene about 3-6.
For example,I'd NEVER be able to read Ginerva or Darren's post because they like take up half the whole page.A roleplayer that I think is fine is Soph.Some posts just really don't need to be soooo long.
Walter
Walter "Xem" Charcovix
Fifth Year Gryffindor
Fifth Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 823

http://theroleplayzone.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikki Lestrange Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:32 pm

I have to agree with Xem, that some people post too much of their mind and what they see and do...I mean, yeah, sure post a little but don't over-analyze it as well, y'know?
Nikki Lestrange
Nikki Lestrange

Number of posts : 6103
Special Abilities : Legilimency, Apparation

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Mmm, I can get that Chase, but not everyone holds that belief, do they? I would rather have my character involved in 15 topics, with shorter posts, which keep me actively posting for hours on end, than one that has a reply a day, as each person write a thousand words.

I believe, and this is a grand scheme thing for me, not just for RP, that if you choose to do something, that's your choice, but it shouldn't be forced upon others. If you're in a group RP, and one person chooses to write 1000 words in response to your 150 word post, that's good for them, but they chose to post that, did they not? Why should that mean that you have to reply with it. If that turns you off RPing in that topic, then that's a great shame, but people will RP as they choose to RP, whether that's long or short, as will you. As is said, you make the choice to write 1000 words in that post, and beautifully craft it, but that doesn't instantly mean that the person you're RPing with needs to match that post for things to work out, considering most of the post probably isn't repliable content anyway.

And yes, in order for open topics to work, people need to be willing to reply in them, but I think that that goes for all RP topics, you just need the right motivation for it.

Again, that's just my opinion on the length of posts, not an admin law or anything, I don't like hearing that people think that what we say must be acted upon. If I want that to happen, I'll tell you what to do, or I'll write a rule, this is just me sharing my personal opinion.

Xem: Then look forward to it happening Smile
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Barker Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:38 pm

I don't think I made myself clear when I posted that.. I didn't mean it the way I think I made it sound...

When I join a topic, I look and see how long that post is.. I won't write a 1000 word post to a 150 word topic... I'll write it around that range... but all I'm saying, is if you see a post that has a larger amount of words in it.. not 1000 per say, but a few more then a few paragraphs... then you have a choice, post to it and try and match it... or just don't post to it... sometimes I feel it's better to have fewer posts a day then 15 posts, because if you have no much going on for one character, then a timeline issue comes in, and it just isn't believable anymore... 15 posts a day is a bit to much for me, when I can be planning out and working with what I've got... Timeline has to be taken into account here, because I've hard LARGE problems with timeline issues, like when the demons came in... it made a part of my charries timeline... totally worthless, because in fact, Chase would never have gone back to certain place.. but an old post was posted in... that changed it all up... after I had had a fair few number of posts that was Chase going back and forth to that place she would never go back to...

so you see, 15 posts is all fine and dandy that keep you posting for hours, but 15 posts HAS to be managed well, or else other issues are made and you have to take those into account.
Felix Barker
Felix Barker
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top