The Potter's Army Mary Sue Litmus Test - Page 4
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

The Potter's Army Mary Sue Litmus Test - Page 4 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

The Potter's Army Mary Sue Litmus Test

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Potter's Army Mary Sue Litmus Test - Page 4 Empty Re: The Potter's Army Mary Sue Litmus Test

Post by Andrew Thompson Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:44 pm

For Andrew, he got a 3

But one thing that I wanted to ask was how could this have been a +

Do you describe your character's appearance by the stereotype it is most often associated with (eg. emo, goth, raver, prep, etc)?

In my opinion, if the character were associates of one of those particular groups, wouldn't that mean it'd be harder for them to find friends and everything? It'd be something that they would have to overcome, or if they didn't, wouldn't really be seen by much of the world. That could provide problems in their life, which seems to me would be a desueifier.
Andrew Thompson
Andrew Thompson
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 3818
Special Abilities : Invisibility

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

The Potter's Army Mary Sue Litmus Test - Page 4 Empty Re: The Potter's Army Mary Sue Litmus Test

Post by Andrew Thompson Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:54 am

Okay, I was just thinking that if they had such a sterotype adressed to them or whatnot, it could mean bad or good depending on the person looking at them. But I see what you're saying.

And I just retook the test for Andrew and got 3 again...I probably would've had more to be honest, if it hadn't been to recent events. Mostly, just all the fights Andrew has been through. Some of them he had tried to fight back with and ended up needing help, never coming out of them looking fresh or anything like that. I was honestly surprised though when I got the low score again.
Andrew Thompson
Andrew Thompson
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 3818
Special Abilities : Invisibility

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Lyons Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:28 am

Amelia got a 34.
Remy got a 9.

I am not sure what this says about my character making. I didn't do Claire because I haven't roleplayed her enough to know the answers to some of the questions.

Can someone else rate my characters from an outside perspective and tell me what number they get? I know you can't answer the questions that are personal (i.e. is your character named after you), but just do the other questions? I would be interested to see if from an outside perspective.
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Number of posts : 1645
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Apparation

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel M. Valentine Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:36 am

Daniel M. Valentine
Daniel M. Valentine

Number of posts : 135

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:56 pm

I wanted to ask something before I even attempted to do that much math but uh how did you come up with the scoring for this?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Nicholas Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:22 am

Angelique Pyrites wrote:Maybe, if it was a question about social status. Unfortunately it's a question about how you, when you're writing, describe your character's appearance.

For example, I could write that Angelique walked down Diagon Alley wearing a goth dress, or I could write that Angelique wore a black dress with a laced bodice and flounced skirt.

It's the same description, but one relies on a stereotype to convey the image. Basically, a character is more likely to be a mary-sue if she is trying to identify with a "cool" subculture, and this type of description prevents the person writing the character from having to actually research that subculture.

Of course, there's a delicate balance when you come to dress. Has anyone here read My Immortal? It's the perfect way to not write, fanfic or original work, and it's the first thing any aspiring writer should read.

Or you could watch the people read it on youtube, because that's hilarious.

EDIT: Upon retesting, Keith got a 15.
Keith Nicholas

Number of posts : 986

Back to top Go down

Post by Marki Gordon Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:43 am

I've heard about it and read bits... Terrible... But funny. haha XD
Marki Gordon
Marki Gordon

Number of posts : 73

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top