The Potter's Army Mary Sue Litmus Test - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

The Potter's Army Mary Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

The Potter's Army Mary Sue Litmus Test

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Potter's Army Mary Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Empty Re: The Potter's Army Mary Sue Litmus Test

Post by Ne'Os Emof Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:43 am

wow you guys. Selwyn you saying i need to stop arguing with the admins at least i know where to stop even if i don't all the time. You are being increasingly rude to all of them.

I think this needs to be locked and moved to the pensive. I would do it myself but i cant. :/
Ne'Os Emof
Ne'Os Emof
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Number of posts : 5547
Special Abilities : Wandless magic, Invisibility

Back to top Go down

The Potter's Army Mary Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Empty Re: The Potter's Army Mary Sue Litmus Test

Post by Caelani Bittel Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:05 am

Ne'os, you may be right. I shouldn't have called Khaat vain. Even though I am ridiculously vain and don't think it's anything to be ashamed of, I should have known better, especially considering the way I worded it.

But apart from that, I haven't been rude. I've just disagreed. Disagreement is a completely valid form of self expression.

Caelani Bittel
Caelani Bittel
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Number of posts : 469
Special Abilities : unforgivables

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Potter Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:07 am

Neos Thank you for agreeing with me
Nick Potter
Nick Potter
Sixth Year Ravenclaw
Sixth Year Ravenclaw

Number of posts : 2916

Back to top Go down

Post by Caelani Bittel Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:12 am

I don't see what you're all so up in arms about anyway. It's not like any of you are getting high scores. Caelani gets something like 52.
Caelani Bittel
Caelani Bittel
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Potter Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:15 am

I got 29
Nick Potter
Nick Potter
Sixth Year Ravenclaw
Sixth Year Ravenclaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Caelani Bittel Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:17 am

That's not high. It probably means your character is well developed. I worry about people who get less than 10, though. Every time I've had a character that scored that low, I dropped them because they were so boring.
Caelani Bittel
Caelani Bittel
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew Lestrange Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:15 am

Alright we get it everyone, people can hold opinions and blah blah blah.

From now on, if you have a problem deal with in PM's. Granted it's raising the forums post count but not in a good way. Please stop having a "discussion", otherwise I'm locking the thread. However I will not move it, in case people still want to take this test.

Seventh Year Slytherin
Seventh Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 6872

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Potter Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:16 am

Yay thnks for agreeing with me
Nick Potter
Nick Potter
Sixth Year Ravenclaw
Sixth Year Ravenclaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Clementine Lovegood Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:51 pm

Jamie got 9 but some of the questions don't really make the person a sue. Whatever. It really doesn't matter
Clementine Lovegood

Number of posts : 2053

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Nicholas Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:15 am

Lucy Weasley wrote:Basics

Is your character named after you?
-- Your real first or middle name +5
-- A variation of your name (eg, a diminutive of your name, or vice-versa) +2
-- A nickname or other alias you use on a regular basis +1

Makes sense. Name sharing, or some variation thereof, is usually a sign of self-insert, which almost always spells sue.

Lucy Weasley wrote:Is your character the sibling, child or parent of a canon...
...but not mentioned by JKR? +5
-- Cousin or grandchild? +2
-- Has a canon surname? +1
-- A name or combination of names from another canon? +1

Good, as relations to cannon characters is another early warning sign. However, PA seems to encourage this, so it seems a bit...harsh. I certainly don't know how I would fix it though.

Lucy Weasley wrote:Is your character Pureblood? +1

Is your character non-human?
-- Vampire +5
-- Part Veela +3
-- Werewolf +3
-- Part Giant + 2
-- Part Goblin + 2

While I agree with most of this, I do not agree with Pureblood or part giant (can you even be part goblin?) part giants are rarely played, and discriminated against. Maybe you should add: "But everybody likes him anyway?" (Though this really depends on the other players on the site...hm...) Also, I don't think pureblood is a mary sue trait, but it's only plus one, so no huge complaints.

Lucy Weasley wrote:History

Does your character have a tragic past? +3

Was your character raised by people other than their parents? Ignore this if they regard the people who raised them as parental figures. +1

Add one point for every dead member of your character's immediate family.

Has your character been disowned? +3

Was your character disowned before they came of age? +5

Has your character been a child bride or teen mother? If male, has your character married a child bride or got a teenage girl pregnant? +3
Both? +3

Has your character ever been abused or molested (statutory rape and neglect count)? +5

Is your character part of the peerage or a celebrity? +3

Are one or both of their parents famous in the wizarding or muggle worlds? +1
Muggle and wizarding worlds? +2

Agree with all of this, except the teen mother/father, as that's generally considered negative....also, the penalty for famous parents should be more...

Lucy Weasley wrote:Appearance

Does your character have a similar appearance to you? +2

Does your character have the appearance you wish you had? +3

Do you describe your character's appearance by the stereotype it is most often associated with (eg. emo, goth, raver, prep, etc)? +3

Is your character comically tall or short when compared to the average height for their age group? +3

Would your character's BMI put them in hospital under ordinary circumstances? +3

Does your character have any unusual physical attributes, such as, but not limited to, unnatural eye colour, changing eye colour, animalistic ears, interesting birthmarks or scars? +3

Does your character have a particularly piercing or intimidating gaze? +1

Does your character often wear clothing that you own? +1

If a student, does your character often break uniform rules to wear clothing you think looks better on them than the school uniform? +2

Does your character own an accessory or piece of jewellery somehow tied to their lineage or an ancient magical lineage? +3
-- Is it enchanted? +3

Does your character carry around an ornamental weapon for no purpose other than it looks cool? +3

Again, agree with mostly everything. Only complaint is you should be more specific when mentioning "special scars", do you mean of the magical variety?

Lucy Weasley wrote:Personality

Does your character judge others based purely on what house they are in? +1

Does your character think rules apply to everyone other than him or herself? +1

Does your character rigidly adhere to their house's most well-known stereotype; that is, Reckless Gryffindor, Evil Slytherin, Friendly Hufflepuff or Brainy Ravenclaw? +5

Does your character have unusually enlightened views considering their upbringing? +3

Do they voice these views around their friends and family without concern? +3

If your character has a problem with authority figures, is your character always presented as being in the right? +1

Do you personally share your character's values? +5

Does your character have a psychological or personality disorder? +3

Would your character be described as insane by a lay person? +5

Did you give your character a tragic past to justify their present actions and/or opinions? +3

Again, agree but for two points: One, stereotyping characters by their houses, at least in my opinion, is definitely not a sue trait, and I would like to hear an explanation on that one. (No offense meant, just curious)

Two, a character who radically changed their personality to fit in more with their houses stereotypes would actually be interesting and less sue-ish (on account of feeling like they needed to change to be accepted) though this is less of a complaint than an interesting observation I suppose.

Lucy Weasley wrote:RP Life

Is your character described as being unusually talented at quidditch, despite not being on a team or ever playing a game? +5

Is your character described as being unusually talented at magic or duelling, despite not attending classes? +5

Is your character a member of the Death Eaters or the Order of the Phoenix while still in school? +3

Does your character's life revolve around their romantic entanglements? +1

To the point where they hit on anyone of the opposite sex, regardless of age, manner, or whether the feelings are reciprocated? +1

To the point where they hit on anything that moves? +1

Hitting on anything that moves isn't necessarily a bad thing, unless everyone finds this character attractive (or the rper thinks they should. It's actually a nice character flaw, in my opinion, showing someone very vain or impulse driven.

Lucy Weasley wrote:Does your character have an encyclopaedic knowledge of spells and their effects? +2

Despite being too young to have learnt them? +2

Does your character always look fresh and fit, even after playing quidditch, duelling, being tortured, etc? +3

Is your character easily angered, but doesn't engage in battle with people more powerful that him/her? +5

Is your character impervious to the normal limitations of his/her species (answer yes even if attributable to a magical artefact)? +5

Are the rules of the universe bent for your character (answer yes even if it's with admin permission)? +5

If pureblood, is your character obscenely wealthy? +2

Agree, though I'd remove the "if pureblood" part of the last question and make it just "extremely wealthy"

Lucy Weasley wrote:Is the family's name somehow incorporated into the name of your character's home? +3

Does your character have experience in a non-magical form of combat? +3

If pureblood, is your character comfortable around muggle technology? +3

Does your character use the word mudblood whenever possible? +1

Don't agree with the first or last.

Lucy Weasley wrote:Can your character somehow get muggle technology to work on school grounds? +3

Is your character well accomplished in any area of the arts? +3

Have you ever attempted to dub your character the king, queen, prince or princess of their house or some other title? +2

Agree, but perhaps be more specific on "the arts" and make it so they add three points with every field they're proficient in.

Lucy Weasley wrote:De-Sueifiers! (minus points)

Would you let your character be killed for a plot, knowing that you could never bring them back? -3

Do you poke fun at your character's weaknesses or use them as plot devices? -1

Has your character ever been completely selfish, shallow, lazy or pointlessly cruel? -1

Is your character really and honestly overweight and going to stay that way (puppy fat and chubbiness does not count, we're talking obese here)? -1

Is your character honestly ugly and does nothing to improve their looks? -1

Is your character out of shape and staying that way? -1
Do they actively avoid exercise? -1

Is your character physically disabled and has nothing to compensate for it (enchanted limbs are compensation)? -2

Is your character over 40 and looks his/her age? -2
Over 60? -2

Does your character have a debilitating phobia that does not suddenly disappear, or that they work through to get over it? -1

Has your character ever run away from something simply because they were scared? -1

If your character has a bad past with their family, have they ever tried to reconcile? -2

Has your character ever been in a situation that they simply could not overcome on their own? -1
Did they give up without trying? -1
Did they give up after failing? -1
Did they eventually overcome it but it was really hard and took a really long time? -2

Does your character admit to being wrong even when he/she doesn't really mean it? -1

Agree, except that you made "eventually overcoming" an obstacle more points than just failing. Less sueish to fail outright.

Lucy Weasley wrote:Congratulations! This is the END

The very dodgy score board:

Less than 10 - probably not a sue.

50+ - Double check your character.

100+ - You might want to just start over.

Don't particularly agree with the scoring system here...50 seems too many. Overall though, nice work.
Keith Nicholas

Number of posts : 986

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top