Word Limit - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Word Limit - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Word Limit

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should we raise the word limit to a minimum of 100?

Word Limit - Page 2 Bar_left50%Word Limit - Page 2 Bar_right 50% 
[ 5 ]
Word Limit - Page 2 Bar_left40%Word Limit - Page 2 Bar_right 40% 
[ 4 ]
Word Limit - Page 2 Bar_left10%Word Limit - Page 2 Bar_right 10% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 10

Word Limit - Page 2 Empty Re: Word Limit

Post by Darren Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:54 pm

Awesome example Keith Very Happy

and there you go Jess. You could have done that, You were just being lazy ^^
Darren
Darren

Number of posts : 22273
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Leglimens,

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariana Diggory Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:00 am

LOL i do enjoy this and all, but i still think 100 is too much.

I mean i do write more or less that amount, but i am speaking of newbies. You can't seriously ask them to start writing like Amelia if they've never done it before.And i am not lazy just go look at the post i made for Amelia Very Happy

And if you indeed want to procssed at least please give newbies a possibilitty to post less then that in first 1/2 months so they can learn how. I post long, but long posts stink since you can basiclly say everything you want in a page or two.
Mariana Diggory
Mariana Diggory

Number of posts : 16276

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Lyons Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:07 am

Wow. I am really getting some insight into what people think of my posts. Hmmm... I think I will still continue to write the way I do, because I am writing for me and the people who like to write with me/read my writing. And I'm glad you're one of those people, Elijah Smile

And Mariana is right - she made an excellent post for me, which I will respond to later tonight!
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Number of posts : 1645
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Apparation

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariana Diggory Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:33 am

LOL yeah hopefully i'll be in my bed by then so i can write reply tommorov Very Happy
Mariana Diggory
Mariana Diggory

Number of posts : 16276

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:09 am

Your posts are pretty phenomenal Amelia Razz
Darren and I often kid that you pre write them, because they're both long and quick, so you must just know what's going to be needed Razz

And yes, i know it takes little effort, but there's another factor no one's looked at.
I go away for two day and return to find there's been 42 replies to the battle topic. All of them have the repliable content of 'Jess threw expelliarmus at sandra' but are at 100+ words, bar one reply that has some actual repliable, plot related content, however i don't want to read through the mass of 'sandra attacked jess with avada kedavra' 'mari killed eli' blah blah blah, so i miss it, sure, i could read through EVERY single post, but is anyone here going to be the person to say that they're read every reply in a topic that affects them? I don't think anyone does that.

And though high levels are nice, i'm a content person, sorry keith, but your 108 word post was 12 words content, 96 words pointless expansion, and it can be very easier, the bigger a post gets, to lose the actual gist of the post.

And yes, this makes me look lazy, but i've seen more than a few 3 paragraph posts with absolutely no content, other than 'name here walked forward'
I'm not against long posts, i like them, but i'm against making them compulsory...
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Post by Abbey Dawn Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:15 am

I don't know, it just seems like a little much for every single member on the site to follow. Maybe we could have a smaller word limit for newer members who are still getting the hang of roleplaying? And then have the 100 word limit for people who have been doing roleplaying longer?
Abbey Dawn
Abbey Dawn

Number of posts : 2143
Special Abilities : Telekenesis, Apparation

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:46 am

I'd say make it 50 for pretty much everything, unless specified otherwise, so if you want a ten word limit, say so, a 100 word limit, say so, and if nothing is said, 50 words at least
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Post by Elijah Krum Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:41 pm

Duels or not that should be no excuse. However, to make it easier for the reader and potential replier why not just have everyone bold and/or colour the spells as wells as bold and/or colour the person it's aimed at.

E.G

Eli ran under the arches, dodging wayward spells and falling pieces of ceiling. His heart was pounding in his ears and he could feel every bit of blood being pumped around his body. He ran out into the open, melting into the fold of people desperately trying to weaken the Death Eaters. It was a whole different scenario. The Death Eaters clearly had the upper hand and it seemed as if the Order was running out of ideas as well as people. He didn’t know what to do. Did he do what was right or what was easy? He didn’t have much to lose anymore so what would be the difference? He stopped where he was and aimed his wand at an Order Member. He moved his wand so it was pointing to the marble floor beneath their feet and yelled, “Bombarda!”
(142 words)

^^^
That basically highlights the main parts of the post. Not only does it make it quicker and easier to understand what Eli is doing, it'll also save time so you don't have random people cutting in either. (Kind of annoys me when you've got a battle or whatever and you're about to reply then you've got the notice telling you that five other people have replied. >.<
But I dunno. That way I guess you're not breaking the word count (whatever it's gonna be at the end) and it's easier for the person after you to read and reply to.
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 4833
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Parseltongue, Animagus
Occupation : Owner of Eli's Fine Dining, Artist, Deputy Minister of Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew Lestrange Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:10 pm

Well I mean, we can do 100+ words with the main part like...the whole paragraph. But I mean that'd be like...this

"Thank you Jess," Matt said hiding sarcasm. "The breakout very unfortunate, but we should have those prisoners bounded up and returned in no time." he said. "And this is more personal that Ministry business Mari. Khaat and Rob are like family to me, as much as they'd hate to admit it." he stole a glance at Rob. "Alright, Robert you can expect me at St.Mungos whenever you need me," he said smiling. "Now, can we move on to a subject that is bothering me?" he asked Jess. "Ne'Os Emof attacked me in the Ministry not to long ago and let slip something about Hogwarts not being as safe as it once was." he sighed. "Now I know Emof isn't one for telling the truth, but I still think we should look into it!" he looked up at Jess. "Oh and Jess, I have a present for you," he said grinning. He pulled out Emof's preserved arm that was wrapped in brown wrapping paper. "It's a little reminder on how I managed to practically kill Emof," he said grinning slyly.
(My last post 179 words)

I have alot of information in that, just if we keep bringing stuff in to an RP eventually it's going to get boring...but hey. Maybe that's just me...

Seventh Year Slytherin
Seventh Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 6872

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandra Archer Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:45 pm

On other sites I've been on we've made members color anything their character says/thinks, so that the people can read that alone. Might help with Jess' problem.
Sandra Archer
Sandra Archer

Number of posts : 240
Special Abilities : Memory Manipulation and Apparition

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top