Discussion - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Discussion - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Discussion

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion

Post by Chastity Moor Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:22 pm

Okay.. so now that we have the problems out of the way.. I feel as though they are presented well here.... onto the big issue.. the actual brainstorming.. how do we fix it?
Chastity Moor
Chastity Moor

Number of posts : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:26 pm

I am going to try to say this as gracefully as I can. This thread makes me very, very sad. There seem to be a lot of presumptions going on here that just aren't true. First, as admins, I think we LOVE pa. If we didn't we wouldn't be here. We do get burned out sometimes, but if we didn't love this site, we wouldn't be here.

As far as admins having too much power, lets look at how we normally get admins. We don't look for admins to take the powerful characters. Quite the contrary. We look for people who are knowledgeable, regular, dependable players. Those players then, because we need the same sort of people in the admin team, generally end up asked, sooner or later, to be an admin. Its not that we go sucking up the power posts just because we can. That's just not true.

Second, I invite you--Chase and Sophia--to try to run any sitewide event and get the majority of the players to respond. We have tried to do that repeatedly to find nobody responds. You shouldn't need a list from us of things we've tried that doesnt work, but if you can't take our word for it, I'm sure we could come up with at least a partial list. It seems pretty clear to me that you dont' have any trust that we've done this job for more than just a couple days and we do know, at least a bit, what we're doing. PA has hung on and is one of the older forum based sites and that is largely due to leadership from wonderful people like Darren and Jess. They deserve your respect. Think whatever you want about me, but Darren and Jess deserve better.

Honestly, its getting really, really old to keep having the admins on this site dissed and bashed. And it doesn't matter what we do. Either we're doing too much or we not doing enough. When someone takes a job on the PA staff, we have to learn pretty quickly that no matter what we do, we wont' win. But quite honestly, I didn't expect the dissing to come from the mod team. I expect it from the membership. I didn't expect it from you. Please stop dissing what you don't understand. Ask questions. Give concrete suggestions. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Darren and Jess are right. The site plot isn't working, and we know that, but we're committed to it, so instead of bashing it, how about helping us make it work as best you can? What happened was that I started a thread for pretty much every faction but the DF's, which Eli is going to do, and largely NO member responded. I know, people don't want to go to meetings. But for God's sake, it has to start somewhere. I was one who started all the recent meeting threads, so if you want to be pissed, then be pissed at me.

The admins are not giving up. but clearly, you dont' understand how the admin team operates and why we make some of the decisions we do. We do a LOT of work that is purposely designed to NOT be seen by members. So that the site can be easier. When members give us feedback about what they'd like, we're open to trying it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. We spend far more time than you know about meeting and trying to make the site better.

I am glad you are seeing some of the members' frustrations. It does give us some feedback, but you're staff members now, and it would be nice if you eventually developed some appreciation for that as well. I realize that will take time and training. And thats fine. But mods are in a unique position where you are expected to be sensitive to both the members and the admins. I hope you can eventually learn enough about the admin team to be able to strike that healthy balance.

K.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 23615
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Post by Chastity Moor Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:43 pm

Okay.. so no dissing you.. respect you.. listen to you... and move on now okay?

Big thing here... sure, I'd love to help plan an event! It'd be fun!

NOW onto the really important stuff...

how the hell do we fix it? So the plot is bad but we're committed... moving on..

So we have an admin's being dissed all the time problem.... Sorry..... moving on

What do we DO? Condense the site? Advertise MORE? talk to the members... send out some PMs... talk in the cbox.. RP.... Thread request... Nag the members.. We need to get past the arguing stage, get past the complaining and the nagging, and getting past the arguing and bickering, and fighting.. and decide on a plan.... decide on a plan that EVERYONE can see.. decide on a plan that can be worked out... done.. cool... got it? Good.
Chastity Moor
Chastity Moor

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:01 pm

jess and i have been discussing the site plot for awhile now, and i think he and i have the rough idea of where it needs to go. it will take me awhile to rough it out for you, and i'd like to have his input when i do it so that i'm sure we're still on the same page. then we'll need to fill in the holes. so be patient w/ me a couple days on that. i'll try to do it this weekend, but my weekend is really busy at my church. i'll do my best.

however, that all depends on getting the members involved. i'd really love for the mods right now to come up with how the heck are we going to do anything for hogwarts for halloween with them under lockdown and what do we do if anything for grads for halloween? I did hope we would do an old fashioned halloween costume party, but...give me some ideas.

we have to get members posting again. thats the biggest obstacle we have to any sort of IC event--whether its a site plot or a personal plot. try all the ideas you mentioned. rp requests, pm's--all of it.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Chastity Moor Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:21 pm

haha uh oh.. you've got us plotting now! We're working on ideas to do for Halloween.. don't worry about it Very Happy
Chastity Moor
Chastity Moor

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:24 pm

yay!!! nice!!
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:45 am

I just had an idea, and I don't care too much about what was spoken about before.

I think it's quite a good idea : D

Remember, Soph and Darren, how PA used to be focused on Hogwarts.

Focused, but not entirely central to it - there was an outside world, much like there is in the books.

Well, I had an idea that we could return to that centralisation whilst retaining Grads.

We could make Hogwarts and Hogsmeade the places of central residency for all grads and students. All site jobs could be centralised into those two places, and whilst there would be occassional interaction with other places (As it was in the book) it'll be really just around those two places. Grad factions would operate through smaller hideouts in Hogsmeade (it'd have to be bigger on our site, but that's just a matter of having extra houses. Hogsmeade would become its own forum I suppose)

But that's not the main thing.

The main Idea was that we could have everyone mainly working and living at Hogwarts. Jobs in the school could be opened to range from the lowly cleaner, to head chef, right up to groundskeepers, healers and security guards. A lot of the jobs would be inconsequential ones - but isn't that where we stand now? The important thing would be that grads and students would be together in one place, and our forums would be halved. Quidditch matches could start and we’d have massive crowds, as well as the possibility of including Grad quidditch team, made possible by the fact that everyone’s always together.

The Hospital Wing would effectively become the main hospital for the site, if something major were to happen a single topic could go into a misc. forum (Sorry Khaat, but that would suffice)

And the Ministry could intervene minorly. There could be a small outpost in Hogsmeade which would be limited to just a few workers who effectively represent everyone.

And of course some people could just not work at all, but instead just be there, really that in itself is no different to half the member base right now.

But he main pull of it to me would be that when writing plots and events we wouldn’t have to think of a way that it would stretch from Scotland to London and include everything inbetween, but instead anything we did would be all inclusive by default of location.

In essence, it may be a restart of the site, and some characters may be lost, but a lot may be gained, and I think that it will have a massive impact on interaction in the site and a great increase in site involvement with each other.

Tell me if you think it’s a terrible idea, or if there’s any big problems, or if you think it’s good and add anything you’re interested in, basically just discuss the idea, but I think that with some refining, it could, and should work in creating a site where students and grads both exist, but we’re focused on just one thing.

Jess.
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:51 am

its not a bad idea, jess. it is a major shift, though. but...i really need to think about the fact that we really should try to work out our site plot. the restart idea isn't bad, but we'd still need to have a site plot or it would still all go for naught--i think.

i need to think it through a bit b/c it would be a massive shift for a lot of us in a lot of ways.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:58 am

Well we'd have to have the member base agree on it, and it would be a change - but I think we can all agree that something big does need to change, and that we do need to try and look at refocusing the site, in my opinion.

Definitely give it thought, there's no rush for now.
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Post by Chastity Moor Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:04 am

actually Jess... I almost like that idea... Of course... some characters will be affected... particularly the Ministry and St. Mungos... but it could be fun.. forcing them together.. you could get it more involved in the plot simply by saying it's Grindelwald's orders... or... the Wizarding world is under attack by muggles... we all know he likes deception.. if he makes people feel like they are in danger by MUGGLES.... well... there could be a major plot twist, and a turning against Muggleborns... thinking they will turn against them as well... suspicious will occur as to who leaked what.. and fake muggle newspapers could appear... I'm just saying.. if we can tie it into the current plot.. why restart the plot?
Chastity Moor
Chastity Moor

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top