First Task Ideas - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

First Task Ideas - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

First Task Ideas

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First Task Ideas - Page 2 Empty Re: First Task Ideas

Post by Elijah Krum Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:01 pm

It does make sense actually. Laying everything out on the table will help speed things up a bit I think. Upon seeing it we can pick things out and edit and play away with different scenarios. (:
During my stalking of the lexicon I have discovered one thing and one thing only: I really hate that site. So I came off and started listening to RENT. P: It didn't help me in any way but singing along at the top of my voice woke my cat up... so now after that journey I've returned to this topic.

I still think we should lie to Jess...although he'll probably read this but ce'st la vie. This would mean extra work and finding a load of active DE's. They're pretty thin on the ground though so I'm thinking that maybe, considering the accident with Cedric in '95, the Ministry wouldn't want there to be a lot of opportunity for sabotage so as the games went on they'd slowly relinquish control to the Hogwarts and, essentially, to the DE's.

The Ministry Task is the only task that actually seems fleshed out completely. Khaat and I were talking about it yesterday and I was meant to write it up but my head was going to explode. There's a lot going on in that Task. It'll be a task that has tasks within it as there are a few trials for the Champions to go through before they actually get up to the courtroom but I suppose we could change the location to appease Jess. >.<''

Wait no, I've changed my mind. We'll figure this all out then we'll tell Jess that this is going to happen and he's going to bloody well like it too.

... This is so muddled. Bah. Oh well. I'll continue!

The Feast needs to happen. What has irked me recently is that there was no Goblet of Fire. It's too late to do it now but the feast announcing it all will have to happen and the Weighing of the Wands directly after or during the Feast -- Doyle could call their names from the Goblet which has just suddenly got their names from it and they could go into the Trophy room much in the same way they did in the film. I can't remember if they did in the book or not but w/e.

Cyrus can be the Skeeter representative to irritate them and such because what's the Triwiz Tournament without a Skeeter? P:

I'm thinking maybe the cup could be broken and the riddles that the Champions have to do in each task will give them a piece of the cup so they could all come together in the last task and fix the cup. Then maybe it could show the picture of the true Champion. In which case I think we should go for the maze that was in the last task or use the Forbidden Forest instead and place it in the middle. Perhaps cross out St. Mungo's and put that in? To be fair I think St. Mungo's is a stranger place to have a task than the Ministry so I don't know why Jess isn't kicking up over that instead.

I don't really think St. Mungo's works unless their sick patients are the same people that were taken from them but that's a bit samey. Apart from my ramblings I have nothing which is why I'm going to get a cookie.
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 4833
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Parseltongue, Animagus
Occupation : Owner of Eli's Fine Dining, Artist, Deputy Minister of Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Vito Dee Symons Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:35 pm

I'm thinking maybe the cup could be broken and the riddles that the Champions have to do in each task will give them a piece of the cup so they could all come together in the last task and fix the cup. Then maybe it could show the picture of the true Champion. In which case I think we should go for the maze that was in the last task or use the Forbidden Forest instead and place it in the middle. Perhaps cross out St. Mungo's and put that in? To be fair I think St. Mungo's is a stranger place to have a task than the Ministry so I don't know why Jess isn't kicking up over that instead.

There we go! Real ideas! That's the stuff dreams are made of! A fragment of the cup- that's a go, or it should be, and if its not than someone should make it so. As for the St. Mungo's thing- I agree; magical illnesses are a awesome, but adding them to the tournament would get rather confusing, and then it would just be a pain... well, at least we'd be in a hospital =P.

However, I don't like the idea of repeating the maze; it was done already, its old, its stale- lets use the Forbidden forest.
Vito Dee Symons
Vito Dee Symons

Number of posts : 797

Back to top Go down

Post by Elijah Krum Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:25 pm

Stale and old... *shudders* It's a reminder that mould is everywhere. Ever since there was no food bar mouldy bread I have a fixation with the stuff. But now we've got an idea so we've got new bread! Success! We just need to find a toaster.

The Forest will bring added dangers of Centaurs, Vampires, Werewolves etc. so that would test them physically but perhaps the trees could move and block them off at places, prompting them to answer riddles and collect the last pieces of the cup. Maybe the cup could be on some sort of podium that's become overgrown and the final piece is by the base of it.

I don't know why but I think bringing the Champions together is a good idea. It might prompt a duel -- who knows?! We need Wilson though... he needs to think up some riddles..
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 4833
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Parseltongue, Animagus
Occupation : Owner of Eli's Fine Dining, Artist, Deputy Minister of Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:10 pm

*sneaks on again between tasks at work * (i am sooo bad.)

Um...nah. i've sort of shifted all of that now. lol.

guess i do need to write it up after all.

First task is at the ministry.

Second task--begins at london station on the train platform and goes to the forbidden forest which leads them to...

Third Task location--TADA!! Hogwarts.

See why I changed the order? It is a whole circle. Each task will have 3 obstacles followed by a challenge. I pretty much have most of that fleshed out, at least in my head. I will explain the unlerlying lessons and purposes when i write it all up.

Part of my goal so to completely avoid a regurgitation of Rowlings. We have done that over and over in a million different situations. I want to use the Rowlings environment but be completely different about how we approach this tourament. Does that make sense or at least excite anyone? The thought of originality? That's why I'm hanging onto the ministry soooooo hard. It is such good stuff. And its original. (thanks, eli for your wonderful assistance w/ it!!! You're brilliant, as always!!!)

Anyway, when i can do this and not get caught, i will write this up. Jess, you are SOOOOOO bad for me. You're cotaminating my pure work ethic! ROFL

I will give in and finally write this all up, hopefully tonight.
k.
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 23615
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Post by Vito Dee Symons Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:41 pm

Well, that is one way to completely cut the problem out of the equation... It is a solve, but I for one would have found it much more satisfying to actually solve the issue at hand- and my, oh my, how I was looking forward to seeing how Jack would handle the Ministry task...

Anyhow, as for the second task, the one that would take place first at the Train Station- how do you plan to go about that, Khaat? Or is it a surprise? I mean, to be quite honest, I have no idea how it is going to play out, so it should be one brilliant surprise if so.

Now, I'm going to go PM our Benjamin Franklin and see if he plans on joining us any time soon; those riddles would be a nice addition to our plans, after all.
Vito Dee Symons
Vito Dee Symons

Number of posts : 797

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:40 am

Don't expect Wilson in this. He has been PM'd about this a long time ago, and I expect that if he intended on coming he'd have done so before this.

If he comes, it will be awesome, though.

Ok. So. I'm doing this in a nutshell for right now, and I'll try to go back in and flesh in the details.

This is presuming the first task is in the Ministry. I am suggesting that we give champions everything they need to complete the tournament at the beginning of the first task. So far, in my thinking, thats a wand and a sickle. Just one sickle. I am also suggesting, that unlike last year's triwizard, we need to make an admin account, like something called Challenge Master, and let the Challenge Master respond and interact w/ each champion on each task, ie., reply back and forth. Does that make sense? Last year, the champion was required to write one very lenthy post for each task. I am suggesting we make this year's more RP than that. I am not minimizing the importance of the content of their writing. Not at all, but this years contest is looking very complex, and I'm thinking we may need to break this up or do some guiding in some manner in stages.

I have sort of envisioned the clue/advice given to the champions before entering the contest, but...needs more work.

1st obstacle--Getting inside the ministry. I am proposing that for this task the phone booth only works on a password. We need to make the password specific to the lesson they need to learn--towards that "are you the sum of your strengths" question. i am suggesting that we learn, from the champions' apps what their strengths and weaknesses are and maybe make a different password for each champion. This most likely will challenge things like attitude, self talk, etc. (ie, how can i be a champion if i can't get in the ruddy door??)

2nd obstacle--atrium--aurors will meet the champions in the atrium and they will be forced to duel several aurors at once in order to advance. they are told here to find the chief warlock. By the way, this is not dueling practice. This is dueling. ("This is not a drill")

3rd obstacle--ministry ballroom. Members are transported by the ministry elevator, in which only one button works and takes the to the ballroom. They are issued into a dance where gaily dressed men and women appear to be having a formal ball and are laughing and dancing. Someone in this room, and only one, knows where Khaat is and how to get to her. This asks them to be patient, determined, finessful, etc. Eventually, they will need to join the dance, (i.e, join life) and will be danced through to the next room where the challenge begins.

Challenge--Mock Trial of Wizengamot--Challenges their strengths. Information would need to be "profiled" by us. Challenges them to explore how their character's strengths became strengths, (perhaps exploring how trauma from that person's past helped them become strong, how guilt from their past helped them to be more empathetic, etc. Explores whether strengths are really strengths or just illusions to cover their weaknesses. Khaat awards their puzzle piece if they complete this successfully.

Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 23615
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:57 pm

I'm not shooting down ideas or anything but...

I agree with Jess, to have the champions sent to the ministry is quite unrealistic and is also unnecessary. I think that if we want to send the champions to somewhere other then Hogwarts we could just put them in an illusion. Theres no boundaries for what magic can do after all.

I'm not completely ruling out the idea of the ministry though... not at all.

Next, the puzzle piece idea is a good one. I think that the champions should get a piece at the end of the first and second tasks. And then at the middle of the third task, they get the third piece, which helps them solve the third task?

Ideas for tasks... well, i've been thinking quite a lot and have sort of created an alternative tournament if you guys don't create the 1st task in time ^^. But perhaps a mixture of both will be good.

So for one task, I'd like the champions to be in a dreamstate, though they think they have been transported to a muggle area (they might actually be transported.. but whatever, that we can debate about later..). Here, they find out they have no wands, and have to find a way back (the puzzle piece is the way back). However, in order to get back they have to use logic. See clues.. etc. In this task they cannot use magic, cause they have no wands! So it would be quite interesting. Logic and intelligence instead of magic.

Next task (the previous doesn't necessarily need to be the first btw. I'm saying these in random order). THis will be a maze, just cause mazes are awesome... But this is quite different from the usual mazes. INstead of testing magic potential, this tests your memory. Basically the maze is a small room (in height) and all the walls and passageways look the same. However, the walls all differ just slightly. For example the cracks on the walls may be slightly different. The champion therefore has to memorize how they differ so that they waste no time trying a passageway they already took. Time is of importance here because the room is slowly filling up with water. In seven minutes the room will fill up and the champion will be taken out of the room. sort of life threatening but.. meh.

Next task.

I'll come back to that o.O

I must say, I've only briefly read your ideas, so unfortunately, I can't comment on all of them. I will however, do that tommorow as currently its bedtime for me Smile
Darren
Darren

Number of posts : 22273
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Leglimens,

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:33 am

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Anyways -

Currently it seems that were doing the tasks so that the champions interact with each other. Like one champion posts, then another one posts and so on... However, it would be much easier for us and the members if we do the tasks like last year. An admin posts a brief summary of the task, then the member writes a long roleplay post about their champion. This way, we give them points for how they create the obstacles for the task. Last year for example, we just had a maze with illusions which the champions had to go through. The champions then had to invent the obstacles they had to pass through themselves, then solve the riddle we gave them at the end. They were then marked for the quality of their RP and imagination.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew Lestrange Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:54 pm

That would be easier but it would also defeat the 'plot' of the Triwizard tournament. If we're following the books then the idea would be for international magical cooperation or something like that. If the champions interact with eachother then it sticks to that idea.

I like Darren's dreamstate idea, it sound different and also relatively easy to set up. You guys have all really good idea's and I have diddly-squat! But come back to me in a while and maybe I'll have something half decent.

But, I do have one idea. Perhaps a scavenger hunt? (Non-magical if that's the way we're doing the tournament this year.) Like, you have to go around London searching for clues. They'd all be together however they'd have to solve different clues and such to find the next item. Ultimately it will lead up to the clue/actual task or something. I don't think it sounds very good but...worth a shot.

Seventh Year Slytherin
Seventh Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 6872

Back to top Go down

Post by James William Wilson Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:31 pm

Whoa, whoa! I'm here... people... gosh... I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry.... yes, I scrolled through the initial idea about the Ministry and I think it is quite attractive, especially the part in the courtroom. As for the riddles, I can be the one designing them, but you will, of course, have to give me some guidelines as on how they should be thought out.

As for the Second task... it could be, generally, viewed as a journey back to Hogwarts. As per Darren, the first task could be the Ministry, where their magical abilities could be tested. The second task could be that dream like state, where they would be transported somewhere Muggle... London, a village... anywhere... where they would have to Holmes their way back... and finally, the last task could be the house-like maze.... I agree on that.

Now, again, people, I am very, very, very.... etc. sorry for causing any problems or delay... whatever task you may pose on me I shall try to work it out.

As for task one, I definitely agree with having a Kafka-like situation, like in The Trial, where Josef K., for those ho haven't read it, had been arrested and charged with... nothing, no one knows what he has been charged with including him. That way, the contestant could be brought in such a situation where they would stand trial for being themselves...

Again, I am very sorry... I shall be more active from now on, surely, so please, do give some reply as to what I should be doing and a small reflection on my brief thoughts.
James William Wilson
James William Wilson

Number of posts : 1085

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top