N.E.W.T. Class - Lesson 9 - Page 3
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

N.E.W.T. Class - Lesson 9 - Page 3 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

N.E.W.T. Class - Lesson 9

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

N.E.W.T. Class - Lesson 9 - Page 3 Empty Re: N.E.W.T. Class - Lesson 9

Post by Mariana Diggory Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:06 pm

Mariana didn't really expect Wilson to say something nice for the change. She already got used to idea them two won;t ever get along. "Well sorry Professor i am after all an imature child or whatever you are used to call me, And yeah i am clumsy which you should have noticed by now." she said rooling her eyes not changing her expression just sitting back into her chair to recover from all the hits she recieved. Her wand was now in her left hand pointed across her shoulder. "Episkey.." she said healing the scar on the back of her neck that was still bleeding. It made her snap a bit for no particular reason. After Belle finished she stood up and walked towards her. "Need some help there?" she asked still scrubing her neck like it was burning again. "Episkey.." she said pointing at all injuries that seem to bleed for the moment one by one.
Mariana Diggory
Mariana Diggory

Number of posts : 16276

Back to top Go down

Post by James William Wilson Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

''Good Fey, good. Fifty points for your House and an O for you. Amelia, would you be so kind as to step up next.'', he said. He turned to Mariana. ''And yet, along with all of that, Diggory, you seem to lose 30 points for your House. How wonderful you are, indeed. Do you know that joke... its ending... when the little girl just wouldn't shut up and got her grade deduced? Do you, perhaps, know how it ends?'', he said. ''Now, Amelia, here is your infamous or famous, whatever you prefer, brother. Here's.... Johnny!'', he said. ''Oh no, wait! This isn't 'The Shining', is it? Darn... well, I guess you will just have to lose the privilege to fight Jack Nicholson. Now, here's Raoul'', he said, waving his hand. Amelia's brother exited the closes, realistic as one can get. He pointed his wand at her. ''Avada Kedavra'', he fired.
James William Wilson
James William Wilson

Number of posts : 1085

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Lyons Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:02 am

((Just as a visual, this is who I would probably use as Raoul’s play-by if his character actually existed: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0NhdcMdhvWs/SknLR27fCDI/AAAAAAAAGxg/-zZyoPxtMO4/s1600/4.jpg))

It was difficult for Amelia, watching Belle duel with her husband. Amelia did not know Belle personally, but she knew the girl to be soft-hearted. It had to have been difficult for her to send killing curses at the one person in the world she loved more than anyone else – if marriage could be a sign of such a thing. These days, there were an equal number of reasons to marry someone that had absolutely nothing to do with love at all. Despite this, though, Belle did manage to complete the task, though somewhat worse for the wear. The cut to her shoulder looked particularly nasty, and Amelia doubted very much that Mariana’s simple Episky spells were going to do the trick.

Amelia had bigger things to worry about, though, it seemed. Without her volunteering herself, Professor Wilson had called her to be the next individual to step up and take the exam. Amelia would have much preferred to wait until the class had let out, volunteered to stay afterward so she could take the exam alone. She hated being the center of attention, much less the attention of her peers, and she disliked even more the prospect of what she was about to face under the scrutiny of her classmates and professor.

In Amelia’s case, Professor Wilson had picked a particularly unpredictable challenge for an exam. As she stood up from her chair at his beckoning, Amelia’s mind ran into over-overdrive (it nearly always existed in overdrive) as she began to think about what she was about to face. To her classmates, this challenge might have seemed like Amelia’s perfect situation. It was true that she was rational, logical, and clear-cut in her decision making – at least most of the time. But putting a self-induced exile on yourself from the social world meant that the few people that did manage to get past your defenses were exceedingly important to you. Raoul was one of those people.

It would have been easier if Professor Wilson had picked one of her parents. Yes, Amelia loved her parents and their influence in her life was undeniable, but the relationship she had with her parents was more one of blood and circumstance than something they had worked to form. With Raoul, however, Amelia had always felt instinctively close. Growing up, Raoul had been her protector, her confidant. They laughed together about the trials and tribulations of practicing the same piano sonata 87 times a day and snuck into their father’s study to try to look for new spells that both of them were too young even to pronounce, much less perform. At fancy dinners and gala events, Raoul was the one person she could snicker with, both of them taking on exaggerated “high society” accents and snickering away at each other’s upturned noses until Antoinette was close enough to make them both strait-lipped until she was out of sight again. Raoul was the one person who relaxed Amelia, made her come out of her ice castle. Although they were drastically different people, there had always been an easy sort of camaraderie between them, probably the result of both of them bearing the weight of their parents expectations which had, eventually, been what forced them apart.

When Raoul dropped out of school and left home, Amelia had been utterly lost. She had spent so much time pushing everyone else away that when it came time to find someone to turn to with the plight of her brother disappearing from her life, there wasn’t anyone around. His leaving had been one of the biggest influences on her personality, the determining factor, the glue in the walls that held up her castle. She hadn’t seen him for two years, though their letters were frequent, and now, as she stepped to the center of the circle of desks, Amelia would have to face him – or at least, something that looked like him – for the first time, armed with nothing but her wand and the dismal mental and emotional defenses that had never worked against him anyway.

Amelia fought the urge to close her eyes as the professor conjured her brother in front of her, though it might have been easier than watching her older sibling materialize out of thin air, looking exactly as she remembered him. His dirty blonde hair was unkempt and his face slightly stubbly, a trait Antoinette had constantly chided him for. She had chided him for a lot of things, including the tattoo on his bicep that was only half-visible beneath the short sleeve of his shirt. It was his only visible tattoo.

The sight of Raoul hit Amelia like a ton of bricks. On some subconscious level she was aware that her breathing had stopped, but it wasn’t until Raoul raised his wand and flung the killing curse in her direction that she had the presence of mind to do anything other than stare. So intense was her shock at seeing him – or whatever figment of him Wilson had created – that she nearly lost the duel before it began, throwing up a Protego charm at the last second, dissipating the jet of green light which had been destined for the center of her chest.

If a threat to her life wasn’t enough to bring Amelia’s mind back to the present, nothing would have been. It was difficult to pull her mind away from the sudden flood of memories that the sight of this Raoul-like person brought upon her; she had carefully hidden away the memories the two of them shared, but the mind was not a box without a handle – it was more like a safe. With the right combination, the door would open.

This is an exam. This is not real. That is not Raoul. Raoul has been in hiding for two years to stay out of the eyes of our parents and society at large. He definitely did not come back to kill you.

He would have sent someone else.

Despite her panic at the current situation, Amelia’s wit was, for once, her saving grace. Her mind, even clouded as it was with thoughts of what to do, still managed to hold on to a bit of the caustic wit and sarcasm and allowed her to find her focus. Amelia smirked at her own thought process and gripped her wand tighter, more prepared now that her mind had regained its usual control. Now all she needed was a plan.

”Relashio! Duro!” Raoul shouted, flinging another two spells in her direction while moving his feet to adjust for her movements. Raoul had always been better at gauging the movements of his opponent, though Amelia was better at mental predictions from all the time she spent watching and analyzing people. It was the reason he had always won in their backyard “sword” duels – when the swords had been sticks and Amelia was still young enough to get away with an hour or so a day of being a kid – and Amelia had always trounced him at chess.

Protego horribilis!” Amelia countered, relying on her skills of defensive magic to protect her until she was able to finalize her plan. Knowing her opponent had given her an idea, but she would have to wait for the right moment in order to make the attack. Raoul, despite all the fond memories and her idolization of him as a child, had some significant shortcomings that Amelia would be able to exploit if given the right opportunity.

Confrigo!” Raoul countered as Amelia’s shield fell once more, and she threw up another defensive spell to stop his progress. She knew that Raoul would likely be able to dodge most of what she threw at him, so her plan didn’t involve attacking him directly, but instead using his cockiness and trigger-happy nature to make sure this exam went in her direction.

Making a quick step to the side, Amelia raised her wand for the first time in an offensive position, bringing it down heavily as she shouted, “Expulso!” over the sounds of ricocheting spells. Only unlike Raoul, Amelia didn’t aim for her opponent, but rather a spot on the floor a meter away from where he stood, close enough to make him dodge, but far enough away that he could have easily escape, which he did easily.

“Is that all you’ve got?” Raoul challenged, mocking her with his grinning, malicious eyes, a malice she had never known him to have toward her, “You’re going to have to do better than that if you’re going to best me. Do you think you’re dangerous? I laugh in the face of danger!” Raoul mocked, tipping his head back and throwing his arms wide, the deep bellows of his laughter filling the room. Except it wasn’t the laughter she remembered; it was cold and heartless, the way most of the world believed her to be. It was this emptiness that gave her the conviction to do what she had to do next.

“Some things never change,” Amelia muttered confidently to herself quietly before leaping into action, raising her wand quickly and performing the wandwork to cast Langlock at Raoul, which hit him squarely in the throat and stopped his laughter immediately. Though most would be confused by her use of this spell, Amelia was certain that it was the only one that needed to land for her to see victory in her future.

Raoul, having dropped out of Hogwarts at the beginning of his sixth year, had never learned non-verbal magic. Without his voice, the battle was already lost.

And Raoul knew it. It took him only seconds after Amelia landed the spell to realize that he had lost his ability to speak, and the malicious laughter that had inhabited his eyes was replaced with cold fury. In one swift movement, Raoul threw his wand aside and launched himself at Amelia, prepared to take her down physically, a feat he would have been more than capable of if Amelia hadn’t been ready for just such an attack.

Avada Kedavra!” Amelia shouted, her voice filled with defiance as her spell connected with Raoul’s sternum, his angry face just inches in front of Amelia’s own ferocity before he collapsed to the floor, his arms still outstretched toward Amelia when his body hit the stone, motionless. Though her eyes could see that the Raoul-impersonation was dead, it was nearly a minute later when Amelia finally lowered her wand and became aware of her racing heartbeat and heavy breathing.
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Number of posts : 1645
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Apparation

Back to top Go down

Post by Belle Fey Potter Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:02 pm

Belle smiled at Mari as she helped her, the wounds healed to a scab at least slowing the bleeding. She raised a hand up to her shoulder, the wound was still very warm as she did so. "Thanks Mari, I will have Andy look at them when I get home. Isn't he going to be thrilled to hear that I got these at school fighting off a boggart enchanted to look like him." This of course was a sarcastic joke, because she was pretty sure her husband was going to be furious.

Belle then shook her head as Wilson walked away after talking with Mari. "At least it is almost summer." She said softly to Mari. "Come on, help me to the desk if you can. My side is killing me."
Belle Fey Potter
Belle Fey Potter

Number of posts : 780
Special Abilities : Speaking to Animals, Animagus (Black Wolf)

Back to top Go down

Post by James William Wilson Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:49 pm

''Yes, Fey and you will have to write your finals during that same summer. How... sad. But yes, you do not know that. I always do my DADA finals after term ends. They are extremely hard and exhausting which is why I let you do all the rest, have a short rest and then attend my finals. Am I altruistic or not? But, maybe I am just torturing my pupils, who knows?'', he asked. He turned to Amelia. ''Miss Lyons, by far the most brilliant performance so far. You haven't fought at all. You used a couple of defensive spells, you avoided his attack a couple of times and that was it. But why is that brilliant? You have passed this test psychologically, which was the most important part of the exam. You have withstood his mind games, his mental torture and have gained enough strength to kill your beloved brother, even if was only a Boggart. That was masterful. I am truly satisfied. I am also very proud that you have managed to keep your strength. Yes, you are upset, yes you have killed your brother, but you have shown immense strength. You have passed my life lesson, something that I wanted you to learn more than the simple spells and theory I am teaching you. Brilliant! Fifty points for Ravenclaw and an O for you.'', he said, visibly satisfied. ''And now, Arthur. You are facing me, which give you the toughest opponent of them all. But, I guess you will be able to pass it. Now, here I am.'', Wilson said, opening the closet, letting a copy of him out. ''Crucio'', he fired.
James William Wilson
James William Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Lyons Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:11 pm

At the realization she had been staring, Amelia pulled her eyes away from Raoul’s sprawled form, which was already beginning to dissipate at the edges. Soon, he would be completely gone, but then again, he might as well have been completely gone for the amount of times she had seen him over the past two years. He had been such a critical part of her life, the one person who could understand her situation and the world in which she lived, and then he had left that world and her behind.

Sometimes, Amelia was jealous of him. He had managed to get away from all the parental pressure, the constant attention, the expectations of perfection. As far as Amelia could tell, Raoul was just wandering, out on his own, free to make his own decisions. He blended in equally well in both the muggle and magical communities, and his letters reflected his passage between them. He picked up odd jobs every now and again, but it seemed since he left home, he couldn’t be tied down for more than a few months at a time. On his letters, he didn’t bother to leave off the return address: he knew that by the time Amelia received the letter and had a chance to locate from where it had come, he would already be gone.

Amelia was silent and still as the professor doled out his praise of her performance. Although she wanted to breathe easier at having completed the task – and very much to Wilson’s approval, it seemed – Amelia was still too shell shocked to say much of anything. She could get away with this because, well, she usually wasn’t very talkative to begin with, so she merely nodded in response to the professor’s compliments. At least she had done this well; she doubted very much she could have handled any sort of criticism he might have given had her performance not lived up to his expectations. She was near enough to tears as it was, but she knew they would never fall. In fact, it would have been impossible for anyone to know the emotions which welled behind her stony features, because she made it that way.

And so Amelia returned to her seat, her face and body braced against the tide of emotions which threatened to overcome her. But she knew the dam could hold, at least until she got back to her dormitory. There, alone, she would face the tidal wave.
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Number of posts : 1645
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Apparation

Back to top Go down

Post by Arthur Severus Poe Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:52 pm

Arthur jumped aside and avoided 'Wilson's' spell. He took his wand rapidly and pointed it at him. ''Impedimenta'', he fired. He never though he would duel his mentor in a life-or-death duel. But here he was, in this classroom, in front of the real professor, fighting a copy that looks exactly as him. It was not a wonderful experience, but still, he was thankful for not letting him fight someone else, his parents or a good friend of his.

He did definitely not enjoy fighting his mentor and friend, but both of them knew how loyal they were to each other and Wilson obviously respected his wishes for privacy, which is why he choose himself to be his dueling partner. Of course, this still was a test of skill and mental strength, because he would never be so bold or so crazy to enter a duel with his mentor and kill him.

But, 'Wilson', of course, blocked Arthur's spell. He might have been a copy, but he was good as the original. ''Fiendfyre'', the copy fired at Arthur. He went a few steps backwards and pointed his wand at the approaching owl. ''Aqua Eructo'', he said, firing an ebby of water at the fiery owl, turning into smoke in the process. ''Impedimenta'', he shot while water neutralized the fire. He heard a blast. Was he done already? He lowered his wand a little to see what is going to happen.

But then, he got blasted backwards. A big mistake. Remember Wilson's lesson. Never lower your wand unless you are certain that your enemy is destroyed. How could he make such a crucial mistake? He was angry, angry at himself for being so naive. He had to correct this. Just as he was getting up he saw a red light coming at him, probably the Cruciatus curse. He quickly ducked and rolled aside, firing a non-verbal
Immobulus while rolling. A good manuevre taught to him by Wilson himself.

It was obvious that 'Wilson' did not expect such a thing. He wanted to jump aside, but the spell hit his arm. Sadly for Arthur, it was the arm without the wand, which meant that he was still capable of fighting. 'Wilson' grabbed his wounded arm and screamed, painfully. Arthur rapidly jumped up and pointed his wand at 'Wilson'. ''Expelliarmus'', he fired at him. This spell was successful and 'Wilson's' wand well down on the ground. All he needed to do is finish this off.

He lowered his wand a little and looked at 'Wilson'. His head was down, but it was obvious he smirked. Arthur quickly raised his wand in the right moment. 'Wilson' knew non-verbal and wandless magic, just as the real Wilson did. ''No, you can't fool me twice. Protego!'', he defended himself from the spell 'Wilson' shot. Immediately after lowering the shield, he pointed his wand at him. ''Impedimenta'', he fired at 'Wilson', blasting him into the wall behind him. He quickly ran to him and pointed his wand at his chest.

He hesitated. This was not easy. Killing your mentor, your friend, even something that only looked like him, wasn't easy. He looked at the real Wilson and saw him nod, slightly, just enough to give him a sign. He turned back to 'Wilson'. ''Avada Kedavra'', he fired, killing his 'mentor'. This was not easy, he truly felt a little sad, but he managed to keep calm, knowing that he had just killed a Boggart. He bowed to the dead Boggart and went back, passing by Amelia on the way. He stood for a moment and bent. ''Do not worry, Amelia. It was only a Boggart. But you know that, already, which makes it more easy. You are strong, Amelia and you will be able to pull through this exam. By the way, brilliant job.'', he whispered into her ear, so only she could hear it and smiled, friendly, returning to his place beside Wilson.
Arthur Severus Poe
Arthur Severus Poe

Number of posts : 471
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Apparation, Leglimens, Wandless Magic (only basic)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariana Diggory Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:14 pm

[[OOC: Wilson can';t use FiendFyre or any other dark spells. After all Gab got yelled at for it]]

Mariana wondered did Belle really think she was the only one with the back hurting her though decided not to ask that rather rude question. Her scar was hurting her again though it didn't do so in a very long time. Last time it hurted so much was when the oven exploded making her alot of burns on the neck with combining few pieces of glass. "Yeah i would like if he got thrilled enough and came kill someone instead of me.." she commented with a saracstic voice not mentioning the name though it wasn't hard to guess. Just like counting 2 + 2 in maths that's how simple it was.

"Sure sis i'll help you out.." she said standing up feeling like after falling from 30 meter height right onto her back, but ignored it for the moment. "[i][color=yellow]Yeah right NEWTs are under law on the end of the school year. Because you can't expect us to come here during the she commented wondering when would this class finish so she can go and rest for a bit.
Mariana Diggory
Mariana Diggory

Number of posts : 16276

Back to top Go down

Post by James William Wilson Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:18 pm

(Well, this is Wilson... he teaches DADA, not the bloody Chamrs Umbridge taught :-) This is an approved spell, and Wilson did not use it... 'Wilson' did)

''Yes, you are correct on that part, Diggory. I cannot make you attend my finals after term ends, but I can make you repeat the year until you come freely. You see, DADA is an obligatory subject once you take and without my signature and a passing grade, you cannot leave this school without getting expelled and if you do so, you cannot work anywhere decent, so it is, finally, up to you, but if you decide not to come... you shan't pass this year. Remember, I give the final signature.'', he replied.
James William Wilson
James William Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post by Belle Fey Potter Sun May 02, 2010 3:21 am

Belle sat down and looked at Mari, "How is the back?" She asked her.

Then turned and listened to Wilson, raising a brow. Loop holes through the laws? What the bloody hell was he thinking? She looked to Mari to see if she was about to explode, after all there was only so many times you could be pushed before you blew. But the Wilson would just suck more points away so Mari would hold it most likely.
Belle Fey Potter
Belle Fey Potter

Number of posts : 780
Special Abilities : Speaking to Animals, Animagus (Black Wolf)

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top