A letter to home .. ((Open)) - Page 3
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

A letter to home .. ((Open)) - Page 3 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

A letter to home .. ((Open))

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A letter to home .. ((Open)) - Page 3 Empty Re: A letter to home .. ((Open))

Post by Elijah Krum Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:38 pm

Elijah liked Amelia's touch more than he knew he should have done. He was in no rush to tell her that, though. She was nervous and he had a feeling she took on board her parents dictatorships and actually listened to what they had to say even if she didn't agree with it.

Elijah knew that it wasn't acceptable to touch a woman without her consent or whatever the stupid rule was but he didn't usually listen to the rules that were set forth in wizarding or Muggle society. It didn't suit his blasé attitude where propriety was concerned and he wasn’t planning on listening to said rules until he was a happily married man - he would have some issues with the misses if he didn’t.

It was quite an intimate moment and it certainly would have looked like it for someone that was watching. Elijah felt 'Ash flick his chest with her tail and he winced slightly. His snake tended to act as his conscience as well as an outside observer. She knew when Elijah was mucking everything up but she also knew about the idiot she was attached to and knew he tended to make mistakes that he would most definitely regret.

Elijah raised his left hand and twisted a piece of Amelia's hair around his finger. He pulled it out and smiled at the little ringlet that bobbled away. He curled another piece and took in the softness of her hair, memorising it and taking a small bit of sly joy for being able to play with the glossy blonde hair she possessed.

"Nash seems to keep me on my toes. If she disappears for a few days to go hunting then she usually returns to find me neck deep in whatever trouble I have put myself in. She's a smart snake and is like a... well like a mother I suppose. She is always there to push me in the right direction or pull me back and make me look at the situation. I could always convince her to go and find a nice male snake to reproduce with. I think it would suit you. The babies only just get around your wrist when they're first bound .. bless 'em."

Elijah curled another ringlet into her hair and ran his fingers through the curls. He was being crafty and the feat could have been classed as harassment or something along those lines but he knew it wasn't far from what his mother would scream from a Howler.
I can't believe you touched a girl inappropriately Elijah 'Victor' Krum! You, you filthy molester!
Or at least something on the lines of that.

Elijah smoothed Amelia's hair back and let his fingers brush her cheek, deciding to not to worry about whatever he was doing. He was following instincts and Nash didn’t seem to mind but she was probably still enjoying her stroke. The snake was a push over if it got any affection. A little bit like his cat, Snoop, but Nash and Snoop usually fought and no amount of affection could pull them out of it so it probably wasn't a great comparison
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 4833
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Parseltongue, Animagus
Occupation : Owner of Eli's Fine Dining, Artist, Deputy Minister of Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Lyons Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:13 pm

Even after the words fell past her lips, the moment seemed to drag on, to not release her from its grasps. She had somehow found herself intimately close to a boy she barely knew, unable to pull herself away from the situation. She would have liked to have blamed the snake, but she could tell it was something more than just the creature which coiled beneath her fingers. Although the green serpent had been the force which brought them into close proximity, she was the reason it had not been broken.

Unable to think clearly while maintaining eye contact, Amelia looked down at her hand again, resting on Elijah’s forearm as if it were a desk or an armrest, rather than an extremity of a living, breathing – not to mention male – human being. The snake darted in and out of view beneath her nimble fingers, at times visible in her entirety, other times coiling so tightly that her small hands nearly shadowed the creature which had initially sparked Amelia’s interest.

Amelia could not force her thoughts into a straight line, whirring in circles as they were. She should never have allowed this to happen in the first place; she wasn’t accustomed to human contact, which was part of the reason she was thrown so off balance because of it. So scared was she of becoming vulnerable to the feelings and ideas of another person, she had pushed away all forms of intimacy, from friendship to flirtation. Amelia, woman who could rattle off so many facts and figures at a single prompt, could never understand her own emotions well enough to allow someone else to see them. It was what had earned her the nickname of “Ice Queen”.

Her mind already racing, the situation did not improve any when, out of her peripheral vision, Amelia saw Elijah’s hand rise to the level of her face. Held stone still by shock, Amelia felt him coil a bit of her red-gold hair around his finger, feeling the bounce of the curl as he released it.. He repeated the action once more, Amelia still too shocked to even register that what she was feeling was real. Her addled brain registered that Elijah was speaking, but she didn’t hear the words. His sentences disappeared among the forest in her mind that had suddenly obscured all rational though, a forest grown from his hands in her hair.

The overtly intimate gesture scared Amelia, a fear she hadn’t known herself to be capable of. She had spent so much of her life protecting herself from all of life’s aspects that might intimidate or frighten her that she had come to a point where she didn’t think herself capable of fear. But she was scared now. Not of Elijah himself, for he had shown no signs of hostility or malintent, but of the closeness the boy felt with her that she did not reciprocate, couldn’t reciprocate. She had spent too much time building walls to climb over them in a single meeting, and it would take many more encounters for Elijah to even make a dent.

Still frozen in her statue pose, Amelia registered that Elijah’s hand had left her hair and was sliding down her cheek. The motion gave her chills, bringing her body back to life. Slowly, she was able to take her hand away from Elijah’s forearm and the creature which had huddled beneath her hand, taking a step away from the boy in the hopes that proximity was what had clouded her mind. Now an arm’s length away, Amelia was able to look up and meet Elijah’s eyes, which showed no sign that he registered he had done something wrong. To most girls, none of this would have been wrong. But Amelia wasn’t most girls.

“What are you doing?” she asked softly, with no anger in her voice. She wasn’t angry – she was confused. No one had ever tried to be close with her, not for a long time, anyway. She had made it clear to most of her peers a long time ago that she preferred her solitude, and though a few had tried to break through her defenses, no one had yet seen success.
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Number of posts : 1645
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Apparation

Back to top Go down

Post by Elijah Krum Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:34 pm

Elijah felt the loss of contact and he looked apologetically at Amelia. What he had done was out of tern and he had realised that but he couldn't help but think about the way her skin felt under his fingers. It was almost like a baby's skin, soft and innocent.

Elijah wasn't normally worried about girls or whatever but Amelia was different. There was a mask like no other protecting her and he had a feeling that in front of the mask was walled defences manned by armed guards. He would have to work very hard to get to the woman beneath all of the defences.

Elijah ran a hand through his hair and felt a jolt jump through his chest. He looked down at his arm and found that 'Ash had disappeared, no doubt to curl herself around his waist to sleep. She rarely did that and only when he had really mucked up and he knew that a lot of snake-hissy swearing would go on when he left the Owlery and was in his snake's company.

"Forgive me." Elijah said finally. "I was out of line and for that I apologize."

Elijah ran his hands through his hair to smooth it and fluff it slightly and he glanced at Amelia's hardened expression. He had a long way to go before he received a genuine smile that wasn't guarded and he knew this without a doubt. Eli never backed down to a challenge presented to him whether it was indirectly done or not. All he needed to do was try.
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Lyons Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:30 pm

Amelia could see Elijah’s face crumble at her words, realizing belatedly that although many other girls would have been flattered by his contact, she was distressed by it. He was an attractive young man, well-educated, talented – from what he had said – and there was really no reason for her to shy away from his touch.

Except that you barely know him, he barely knows you, and he has already proven to be more intimate than you can handle. What part of this situation does not scream run for the door?

Although her gut told her to make a break for it, her feet kept her firmly rooted in the owlery, surrounded by the faint rustling of feathers and the smell of nesting materials. Elijah had been pleasant enough company for her, managing not to annoy or seriously offend her for almost an hour, an accomplishment for most people who met the Ravenclaw girl. It was not that Amelia had a particularly short fuse or a lack of patience; these just happened to serve as convenient excuses to avoid spending any amount of time with people, which in turn allowed her to justify the fact that she spent so much time alone by saying that she just wasn’t compatible with her peers.

The boy who now stood a distance from her seemed to be beating himself up for the situation, running his hand through his hair, his chin at his chest. Amelia sighed, wanting to tell him it was not his fault, but not knowing how to take the blame off Elijah without putting it on herself. She could not apologize for the way she was; being this way didn’t make her popular, but it kept her safe. She had never been heartbroken, never missed someone, and had never been abandoned. To Amelia, being alone was a small price to pay for this level of emotional insurance.

“Forget it,” Amelia said in response to Elijah’s apology, wishing for the life of her that she could do the same. The intimate moment the two of them had shared made her skittish and she leaned against the rounded wall of the tower in order to steady herself. Her intuition still pushed for her to run from the room, but that would only leave Elijah with more unwarranted self-guilt. He didn’t deserve that.

Her hand went up to her neck, rubbing the back of it in a habit that was revealing of her nerves to those who had seen it before. Her mother always chastised her for the action, claiming it ruined her posture and was completely unnecessary. Even from a distance, her parents’ voices echoed in her mind, only adding to the stress she felt until she dropped her hand to her side once more to make the voice stop.

More unable than ever to find words to say, Amelia found herself awkwardly staring at her feet and the inappropriate footwear she had chosen for her trip up here. She had been in a hurry to get the letter off and thus had just slipped on the nearest pair of shoes she could find, which just so happened to be three-inch black heels her mother had sent her as a means of forcing her to attend the masquerade ball earlier in the year. The shoes had been sitting at the end of her bed unused since the ball and had only now made an appearance again. She felt foolish standing among the owl droppings and bits of straw in such ostentatious shoes, but it couldn’t be helped now. As she was constantly reminded, you couldn’t change what was already done.

“I didn’t mean to scare her off,” Amelia said demurely, in reference to the snake which she had noticed had left Elijah’s arm. When you were avoiding someone’s eyes there was a greater chance one could notice other things.
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Elijah Krum Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:09 pm

Elijah swallowed and heard a hiss from 'Ash. To say that his snake was upset was an understatement and a big one at that. She was hissing to him in very angry Parseltongue that she was beyond furious with him and that if she wasn't attached to him and if he wasn't her protector then she would have throttled him by now.

"I won't forget because I know you won't, Amelia." Elijah murmured, his voice only just louder than a whisper. Elijah ran his hand down his bare arm and cursed himself under his breath after hearing a snake-like chuckle from his chest. He hated it when Nash moved herself - especially when he needed her.

Elijah looked down at his arm in irritation and flicked the skin. He knew that Nash hated his arm in anything but the best condition. She spent months reprimanding him after he broke it during the summer he got her.

"You didn't scare her she is just disappointed in me, that's all. I don't think you're are scared of me but your eyes show fear... I don't understand." Elijah heard a hiss and he bit his lip, closing his eyes momentarily before speaking again. "I am sorry, that... I shouldn't have said that."

Elijah looked down on the floor. He wasn't doing anything right at that moment in time and his snake had all but abandoned him. He knew she would leave him to fend for himself soon and he was worried about what he would do in the meantime.

But, he had acted on instinct and got on fine. Sure Amelia all but screamed but that was his mistake. What he didn't understand is how she was walking around in those heels. He couldn't do it but he didn't plan on dressing in drag or getting a part in any Muggle Pantomimes anytime soon.
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Lyons Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:30 pm

Amelia wasn’t looking at Elijah when he spoke next, but as his words interrupted the silence between them she heard not only what he said but the meaning behind them. This boy was so drastically different from her, honest and spontaneous, open about his emotions and his past, and yet her understood – at least to some extent – the way she operated. Although she had asked him to forget the situation, he knew that it would dwell in her mind far longer than she chose to stay in the owlery. How he had picked up on this so quickly, Amelia did not know, but it was enough to bring her eyes up to his face again, if only to look for the source of his understanding.

Even after she had met his eyes, the words continued to fall from his lips. Amelia had always struggled to express herself in the presence of others and had never mastered the art of doing so while making eye contact. Elijah, though, did not hesitate to explain why the snake had moved away from his arm, nor to eloquate what he was feeling about her and the situation she had caused. A hiss so audible even she heard it immediately followed his words, causing him to apologize for his honesty.

Amelia was stung by his words, but not so much so that she thought it appropriate for him to be apologizing for them. She knew her faults without someone else pointing them out, but that didn’t mean they hurt any less to hear voiced aloud. Amelia knew that what others saw in her was drastically different than who she was, but that was a direct reflection of the front she put up to keep people out. Elijah had seen the fear in her eyes, not caused by him but rather by the idea that someone might be making an attack on her defenses and actually getting through. Her walls had held fast for so long that the idea that this boy, this foreign and far too perceptive boy, could get through was scaring her.

“I….” Amelia began, wanting to ease his self-loathing but unable to do so without delving into an explanation of her personality flaws. She didn’t like that others took the blame for the way she distanced herself from the world, but she disliked more the idea of sharing her motivations and qualms with them. It took her several minutes of silence to finally speak again, and even then she had not worked up the courage to share anything of real value.

“Some things are not meant to be understood,” she said, her voice audible only because of the quiet in which the pair found themselves. She knew the answer was vague at best and would leave Elijah even more confused, but it was all she could do. She couldn’t trust people to see beyond her flaws and her past, and thus she found herself not giving anyone a chance to try. Amelia just wasn’t capable of putting her emotions out for the world to see. Not yet.

Maybe not ever.
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Elijah Krum Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:28 pm

Elijah knew he had made one of the biggest mistakes he could have ever made and it was with a touch. He had truly outdone himself. He was a walking, talking, breathing mistake and despite this, despite all of the horrible flaws that he had, he still thought he could find everything he had been denied in his short life. Perhaps he was being too presumptuous and he knew that it would be best to settle down with a nice Pure-blooded gold-digger and watch her grow bitter with resentment after only having one child and treating he or she with the same malice that he had endured.

What kind of life was that?

Elijah could see himself stuck in the Krum mansion for the rest of his life and he wasn’t going to do that to himself or to the woman he ended up marrying. He knew that at the end of it all he would be stuck with Nachash and end up living as a celibate fifty year old in a room above the Leaky Cauldron, he shuddered at the thought.

“Some things, I agree, aren’t meant to be understood but only some things. There are many things that need to be understood.” Elijah said quietly.

He knew he was poking a line that had been crossed a long time ago but he had been caught by it and now was wrapped up in his own self-loathing and his mentality had been thrown at him like a punch in the face. He was more like h-is psycho inbred parents than he thought but he was more rational, he had more morals and he wanted to earn something, not get it handed to him on a silver platter.

Her insecurities were baffling to him and he couldn’t understand her mentality. Hell hath no fury than a woman scorned but she wasn’t upfront about her contempt or any other emotions it seemed. She was reserved and her hunger for solitude seemed to make social awkwardness, especially between them, even worse. Elijah had no idea how to make her relax but he didn’t want to struggle with the crossed line any longer.

“You’re hiding, you’re hiding your soul and the world your mind revolves around. You and I aren’t so different y’know. We both have hidden demons that need to be revealed. Perhaps we could get to know each other a little better. You could understand me and I you. What do you say?”

Elijah walked over to Amelia and fingered the curl sitting on her shoulder. It was delicate, beautiful and a little reminder of how mesmerising the woman it was attached to was. Elijah smiled down at her and his eyes fell on the huge high-heels she was wearing.
“Those have to be uncomfortable.” he chuckled.
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Lyons Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:27 pm

Amelia looked away from the hurt in Elijah’s eyes, once again dropping her gaze to the floor. She knew that the boy couldn’t possibly understand the reasoning behind her actions, which had to be frustrating for him. He couldn’t understand the way her parents had raised her to discuss only socially acceptable things, like weather and who had won the most recent derby. He couldn’t know that Raoul, the only person she had really ever been able to talk to, had finally run off like he always said he would, giving him an escape from all the parental pressure they had both felt, but leaving her to bear the weight intended for two children. Elijah couldn’t know why she was scared to be close to someone because she was afraid of losing someone again, of missing someone the way she missed her brother. That she didn’t want to have to live up to the expectations of another person, because she already felt as if she would crumble under the weight of her parents’ plan for her.

There were so many things Elijah would never understand unless she told him, but the hurdles she would have to jump to be able to explain any of this, even the most minor of these things, were hundreds of meters high. The task itself could take months or years, an amount of time she doubted anyone would be willing to put in. There were so many others at Hogwarts worth knowing that did not throw so many obstacles in your path, which explained why Amelia had managed to avoid relationships this long. When it came to friendship, people chose the path of least resistance, and she didn’t blame them. For this, she had no one to blame but herself.

Elijah spoke again, his honesty assaulting Amelia’s defenses as though he had just catapulted her with everything in his arsenal. He was making an attempt at breaking down her defenses, even after she had already blocked his first attack. Where most everyone else would have just written her off, Elijah was still here, still trying to find the weak spot in her iron-clad bunker she put up around herself. That had to be worth something.

While she fought mentally with herself about his proposition, rationality battling for the upper hand with the small bit of herself that wanted for human companionship, Elijah moved toward her again. Standing directly in front of her, he once again reached for a tendril of her hair, a curl that rested on her shoulder. He held it delicately between her fingers and this time, with her back to the wall, Amelia had no place to run. Her eyes still held fear in them, and her flight response was as strong as ever, but this time something held her in place, a mental or emotional barrier that prevented her from sidestepping him and fleeing the owlery in the way her mind demanded.

Her eyes focused on his until he lowered his own, the laughter preceeding his comment about her shoes and breaking the tension between them. His chuckle at the absurdity of her shoes became contagious and Amelia found herself laughing in spite of herself, in spite of the fear and tension she was feeling and in spite of the blood which pumped through her legs in preparation to flee. She didn’t know whether the laughter was her body’s defense against the fear she was feeling or if she had just gone mad, but she laughed anyway. The laughter relaxed her body and she found herself laughing not only at his comment, but at the absurdity of the entire situation, everything that had happened since she had sent Aurora off with the letter.

“They’re anything but practical,” Amelia agreed once her laughter subsided enough to speak, “My mother has a taste for the exquisite and fashionable, but sensible she struggles with.”

Amelia sighed, this time not for exasperation but this time in an almost happy way. She was not happy, she knew, but the laughter had managed to relax her body and fight away her panic. Although the prospect of getting close to Elijah still scared her, she saw a faint light at the end of a very long, very dark tunnel. The boy was persistent, and she imagined he would continue to fight this battle with or without her help. It didn’t make sense to keep fighting him now; she was tired of fighting him and the urge to flee. For now, at least, she gave in to Elijah’s kindness and his belief that they could be good for one another. She did not believe it as he did, but she no longer wanted to fight him on it. Either this would reinforce what she had always believed about her being incapable of personal connection, or she would be pleasantly surprised. That didn’t make for bad odds.

“We could… try,” Amelia finally managed to say aloud, signing her name in ink on a contract she didn’t know if she would be able to follow through with. But she hadn’t said she would; she had said she would try. Not exactly a full commitment, but a step in the right direction.
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Elijah Krum Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:20 pm

"Practicality.." Elijah said wistfully. "As much as I hate it I would never let anyone, male or a beautiful female such as yourself, wander around in shoes such as those. I am no dame but I definitely know that if I was of the female persuasion I would ask my mother what is going through her pretty little head... or something along those lines and to that effect."

Elijah chuckled and looked at the big, scary shoes on her dainty little feet. She would be more relaxed without them, or at least it seemed that way to him.

"My mother however, slap a label on it that is over 500,000 galleons or perhaps a little less then it'll be gift wrapped and sent to where ever hotel they're staying at, at the time faster than you can say Gucci." Eli smirked and thought about the shoes he had burned in the past, just so see the Wicked Witch of the West screech and caw like a crow.

"Shoes..." he pondered. "Bizarre things really. If humans hadn't become so dependant on the things then perhaps we wouldn't need them. Skin softens over the millennia so I suppose shoes were useful. Those, however, will ruin your feet. Do tell your mother that if she wants you to break your neck then don't do it with shoes. It does make an awful mess." Elijah smirked at Amelia and chuckled lightly. "Shoes are odd little things. However, to be an artist and more specifically a painter you must learn to draw shoes."

Elijah took a long lock of Amelia's hair and held it between his fingers. It was an exquisite colour, something he would be hard pressed to create from paints. He smiled and tickled the ends with his finger. He held the lock of hair closer to her and smiled.

"Now this particular piece of hair shows every piece of colour in your hair. You aren't blonde or 'strawberry' blonde if that's what the hair-fools call it. You are a specific colour, one that is entirely your own. One that a painter would find hard to recreate. I could probably come close with my own paints but it wouldn't be perfect. A few more shades and perfection would be captured on a canvas. The colouring is so delicate that one slip of a hand or a wrong measurement of paint and we could get something completely different.

I think that is a little bit what you are like. You could try and get to you, past your defences but it would have to be done with such strategy that anyone that doesn't have a logical mind would end up in St. Mungo's for self-confundsion which I don't actually think is a word. No, you'd have to be so precise that if you got it even slightly wrong, one would find an entirely different defence beneath the surface defences. But then you'd be compared to an onion. Not the smell and I don't think you make people cry but the layers."

Elijah tucked the lock of hair behind Amelia's ear and smiled slightly. He decided to sit down beside where she was stood. He leaned back against the wall and played with the hem of his collar. Eli picked up some straw and tugged on her wrist to bring her down beside him. If she complied then he would get those shoes off of her feet faster than Cinderella lost hers on the stairs of the palace.

"Tell me if you want.. why you have these defences. Surely they aren't there because you wish them to be. No one wants to be alone forever. If it's a sore spot then perhaps something else. Christmas', Birthdays, Easters, German Sausage Festivals - actually they are really good because the Germans like to eat so they give lots of meet to the... actually never mind because as good as that food is, nothing can compare to a good Chinese."
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Lyons Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:21 am

“I am fairly certain that my mother would send a howler to end all howlers if I ever spoke to her with that degree of freedom,” Amelia replied, laughing along with Elijah at the absurdity of the shoes and how out of place they were in the owlery, or anywhere except a formal ball for that matter. His description of his mother sounded as though his family had plenty of money to spare, but she wouldn’t have guessed it from their initial meeting. Most people who had been raised in wealth seemed to exhale galleons and exude sickles. Elijah, however, hadn’t seemed the type to have come from money, but it did explain the various languages and talents. Only the fortunate were able to provide their children with such an academic background.

Amelia listened as Elijah continued talking, moving on to the subject of shoes. She was grateful for his conversational nature, the way he could carry most of the weight of the conversation without needing much input from her. It made it much easier to imagine that the two of them might be able to spend any notable amount of time together without Amelia giving up entirely on his proposition. Amelia listened to what he said, nodding and smiling in the right places, but for once not rehearsing them beforehand in her head. She was working hard to let go of the pretenses, but every now and again she felt them creeping back in, playing a gesture in her head before carrying it out for Elijah to see.

This is going to take a while…

The rhythm of his speaking allowed Amelia to delve herself into his stories, letting them surround her as she did the lives of so many other people. Sometimes, she wondered if learning so much about the stories of others would eventually make her own story obsolete. It wasn’t that she wanted to lose herself, she just relished in the idea of knowing about other people things that they would never know about her. It was as if the catalogue of information she held on each person she met were stones that helped to build her defenses, guarding herself with information.

Having fallen into rhythm with Elijah’s speaking, she almost missed the fact that his hands were once again touching her hair. Although Amelia had always thought her hair to be the only notable part about her, it had never received so much attention as in the past hour with Elijah. The boy seemed fascinated by it, for reasons Amelia did not fully understand until he began to explain. His description was elaborate, well-thought out. Before he mentioned painting, Amelia had already begun to think of it as the way an artist might describe her hair. He was detailed and focused, looking at her hair with an intensity that she thought might set her hair ablaze, only adding to the colour palette Elijah was already observing.

When his description stopped and the analogy began, however, Amelia was once again caught off-guard by his perceptive nature, looking away from him to avoid having to read the meaning behind his words. Hearing it in his voice was more than enough to give rise to yet another bout of panic, which Amelia silenced by closing her eyes and taking slow, deep breaths. He was not merely observing her actions and guessing at her emotions, he was interpreting them and looking beyond the things she said and did to what they meant and where they came from. Although she was impressed with his ability to read into the intricate tapestry which was her personality, it scared her to think that he was willing to observe each thread with such careful scrutiny in order to see the bigger picture. It was a level of dedication that intimidated Amelia, wondering if she would be able to stand the test of such careful inspection and the self-awareness that would rise from Elijah’s observations and analogies.

After finishing his analogy and replacing Amelia’s red-gold curl, Elijah slid down the wall to sit at her feet. It seemed an odd dynamic to be standing over him when he clearly had every other advantage in the situation: he was a better conversationalist, had a better grasp of his emotions, and was far more open about himself. When he tugged her wrist to bring her down to the floor, she hesitated only for a moment about potential owl dropping before deciding that any stains on her jeans would be minor compared to the complex she was getting standing over him. Once on the floor, Amelia pulled off the heels, setting them upright next to her among the straw and dirt, her feet glad to be rid of the unnaturally high arches the shoes provided.

Although her feet relaxed once she was sitting, her mental defenses were anything but relaxed, which is why she chose to ignore completely Elijah’s first prompt. The time when she would be able to answer his question, to explain her motivations and reasons for pushing people away was so far in the future it seemed hardly visible or possible. Instead, she chose only to address the second of his conversation prompts, smiling at his words as she began to respond for the first time in several minutes.

“Christmas,” Amelia began, taking a deep breath to steady herself against what she knew would be a mental barrage against her opening up about even the smallest bit of her personal life, “My family has always placed such an emphasis on Christmas. And not because any of us are particularly religious, mind you, but because it is an opportunity for my mother to go all out. She decorates the house as though it were the setting of the latest holiday movie, bright with tinsel and holly. She always orders a tree from one of the larger forests on the outskirts of Scotland, 10 meters tall, to place in our foyer. It stands the entire month of December, the welcome mat in our home.”

“She always relishes in the oohs and ahhs of the holiday guests,” Amelia continued, reminding herself to breathe, “The house looks spectacular, the food is exquisite, and no one ever wants for anything at Christmas. Last year, my father bewitched the ballroom to make it snow indoors, which made for an interesting sight to see the couples waltzing around a dance floor surrounded by snowdrifts.”

“And the whole house smelled of peppermint,” Amelia finished, recalling this last bit of information only after she had allowed herself to become absorbed in the memory, not even looking at Elijah anymore as she stared off at nothing in particular, lost in the description of a holiday long past. The peppermint had been Raoul’s idea, and he had charmed the entire house to smell that way. He had been just a bit to heavy in his bedroom, though, and there was a spot on the carpet which still smelled of peppermint. Although it was painful, Amelia still went in there every time she was home, just to smell it and think of him.
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top