Lesson One - N.E.W.T. - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Lesson One - N.E.W.T. - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Lesson One - N.E.W.T.

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lesson One - N.E.W.T. - Page 2 Empty Re: Lesson One - N.E.W.T.

Post by James William Wilson Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:17 am

''Well said, Mr. Malofy. But you will recieve only 10 points for the answer. Why? First of all, but you did not know this, you included religion. Muggle Studies is a scientific subject and thereby excludes any supernatural, religious or divine explanations for any event in History. But, since it is the first class, you will be forgiven. Now, if anyone tries to mention religion as a reason for something, points will be reduced. I, as a realist, do not tolerate such nonsense. The other reasons are: you did not tell where, and the time was not correct, exactly. 1800 BC was the time of formation of the biggest civilizations in History, but you will hear about them next time. Now, a good definition in all, Mr. Malfoy.

And now, the lesson. As Mrs. Malfoy stated, the human being evolved from primates, according to the Evolutionary theory of Charles Robert Darwin, whom about we will talk more during upcoming classes. Darwin, during his trip to the Galapagos Islands, noticed that some species resemble others and therefore, he deduced that there had to be a connection. Soon enough, he developed a theory which stated that the Human being evolved from primates, or monkeys, to put it in more generalized terms. Of course, the idiots of the time laughed him out, but today, Darwin's theory is the only valid scientific explanation for the development of all the species in our world. In modern-day Historiography it is considered that the beginning of man-kind started around 5,000,000 years ago. Where? In Africa. The most devastated continent today is the cradle of our population, what a paradox. Now, although there are several bones that are dated before, the first complete skeleton of our ancestors is the skeleton of Lucy, a women primate of the Australopithecus afarensis genus. She was found in Ethiopia, and is kept in the Museum in Addis Abeba, and it is dated around 3,200,000 years ago. Thereby, the whole Human race started in Africa and lated migrated to the rest of the world. The first split of the initial primates was the split which created Hominidae, which would later become humans, and Pongidae, which would later become primates, or man-like apes. Now, another question for you class. I often ask questions to brake the monotony of the class, the monotony of me talking. Now, I have already said that the firs, well second, but we will treat it as the first, genus of our race was the Australopithecus , which had a lot of ape-like traits. Now, can anyone else name any other species, listen carefully species, of the genus of Humans. There are other genus', but we will not mention them because it is advanced Muggle Historiography, taught at their Universities. Now, anyone? When you answer, we will mention several traits of all the species and some historical periods of Pre-History and we will finish our class for today. Now, who will answer the question?"
, Wilson asked.
James William Wilson
James William Wilson

Number of posts : 1085

Back to top Go down

Post by James William Wilson Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:53 pm

(Since on one replied, I'll have to let Arthur reply this time. I do try to minimize his answers in Wilson's classes. I'll post for both.)

Arthur raised his hand. ''Well, we have the Homo habilis that came later on, the firs species that accepted settler life. Then, we have the Homo erectus which is the species that finally started to walk properly and then, later on the Homo neanderthalensis and the now-day man, the Homo sapiens.'', Arthur said.

Wilson nodded. ''That is correct. Ten points for Gryffindor. Now, to continue. Evolution played its part and soon, from monkeys there became men. Although the Homo habilis was not a complete human being such as we shall see later, we have to remember him for being the first settler, or at least the predecessor of settler life. The majority of species of that time were nomads and the Homo habilis was not an excuse, but that species showed first signs of settling, although they still did travel a lot. This was also the first species of the genus Homo. Now, another question before we continue with the other species Arthur named. Can anyone tell me some of the reasons for the nomadic way of life of the then-day human? Just several of them, the most important ones.'', Wilson said.
James William Wilson
James William Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:24 pm

" Well Sir thier is sevral prominent answers such as the fact that they were not aqicuped with fuly funcitonal brains, thus activities such as agriculture were lost to them. they had to follow the food so to speak with no means of making it themselfs for long periods of time. Another reason could be the fact that clothes and other ways to stay warm, were well primative so theyhad to migrate like birds to warmer climates, or the ones that were most copestic to thier lifestyle. Also sir please excuse me for being late i did not know a replacement teacher had been found." Aden said the last bit with a sad face upon his mug. Aden sat in the first open seat. Hoping that the Teacher would not mind the fact he blurted out the answer
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by James William Wilson Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:09 am

Wilson looked at Aden entering. ''What a theatrical entrance! Bravo Mr. Williams! 15 points for Gryffindor. 10 for you answer, which is great, and 5 for you coming to the class in such a way. Please, take your seat and let us continue. Next, we have the Homo erectus. Would anyone try to deduce what is trademark is? The Homo habilis was the first representative of the genus Homo and the predecessor to settler life. That much could have been deduced from his name. I presume that you know some Latin, therefore, would anyone try to deduce why the Homo erectus was different from the other species? You see, this class is getting interesting. You do the majority of the talking, thereby learning, while I just sum it up and add several new information. Now, who would like to try?'', Wilson asked.
James William Wilson
James William Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post by Aminia Lestrange Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:39 pm

Ami sulked further down in her chair, she had no clue about this stuff,
she hated the class, but was forced to take it. She sighed as she
doodled on her paper,she was already mad because a few of her house
mates made her lose house points, she was thankful that Godric was
smart and would be getting their house most of their points. Ami hated this topic, and she thought she knew what is was, "Isn't that they were the first to walk up right?" she asked hesitantly.
Aminia Lestrange
Aminia Lestrange

Number of posts : 1198
Special Abilities : Nonverbal Magic, Occlumency, Apparation, Leglimency

Back to top Go down

Post by James William Wilson Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:33 pm

''Yes, they did ''walk right''. The Homo erectus was the first species that developed a normal spine and it is considered to be the direct ancestor of modern humans. You need to understand that all of the before mentioned species are our ancestors, but the Homo erectus was the direct ancestor, the primate that became human, so to say. Next we have the Neanderthal or the Homo neanderthalensis. A very intriguing species. It was the dominant species of the time before the appearance of the Cro-Magnon man, who was in a way similar to the Neanderthal. The Neanderthals were discovered by Johann Carl Fuhlrott in the Neander Valley, near the German city Neanderthal. The Cro-Magnon man was discovered in France by Louis Lartet. Those two species are probably the best link to a modern day human, mainly because they lead a settler life and developed a heritage of their own, a unique life-style which became a trademark of their species. Today, that is called culture, or tradition. I will not get into details, but you will have to know that the Neanderthals had developed a cult of the skull, for which they, and their remains, are highly known and identifiable. There is also a famous relative of the Neanderthal that was discovered in 1899 by a Croatian archeologist named Dragutin Gorjanovic-Kramberger on a hill near the city of Krapina, and is therefore known as the Krapina man. The reconstruction of its remains is today visible on that hill. And now, for the final species. The Homo sapiens. Can anyone tell me what its name means? Do you know what our taxonomic name actually means?'', he asked the students.
James William Wilson
James William Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:26 pm

"Will sir it stands for Wise Man or possibly knowledgeable man, it refers to the ability for human to use higher level thinking skills, problem solving at a higher rate, and the last think that put's above the rest so to speak is are ability to manipulate tools at a for more ingenious platform then before. Why we as wizards are not that familiar with technology like the muggles are it is truly a master piece of problem solving skill, and well the use of tools. I feel that they are serving are race as a whole well by living up to our intended potential sir, but that is just interjection." Aden said smiling this was one of his better subjects and he enjoyed this professor.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by James William Wilson Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:24 am

Wilson looked at Aden with a suspicious look. ''Blast it lad, I could not have said it better myself. Another 20 points for Gryffindor. The rest of you should really look up to Mr. Williams and Mr. Poe and Mr. Malfoy, whose answer was precise, but he did not know that detail about religion. That is it. I do not have anything more to add. We are done with the Human evolution'', he said and took his wand out.

He then ''created'' a lat white surface and summoned a projector that was in the back. Suddenly, on the surface, an image appeared.

Lesson One - N.E.W.T. - Page 2 79536-004-A22C5897

''This is a rough illustration of Human evolution, showing the most important species and their physical traits. Now, to finish Pre-History. Pre-History is the longest historical epoch today, taking its span from about 3,000,000 BC to 3,500 BC, when the Egyptians developed their writing system. It is generally divided into two periods, the Stone Age and the Metal Age. The names are derived from the materials used to build tools and weapons. People of that time developed and created simple tools made out of rough, natural stone firstly, but then realized that they can shape their stones to be more efficient. From that, they soon developed simple tools as axes and spears. During the Metal Ages, man realized that metal materials such as copper and bronze and iron, later, produce more efficient weapons and tools that can be used for hunting but also, sadly, for wars. Therefore, Muggle historians have divided Pre-history into 2 larger periods, each with 3 smaller periods. The Stone Age is divided into the Paleolithic, Mesolithic and Neolithic, while the Metal Age is divided into the Copper, Bronze and Iron age. With the rise of the Metal Age, stone material fell out of use and later in history, which you will see on the next class when we learn about Ancient Egypt, the winning side was the side which had the better metal for the development of their weapons. I will not trouble you much with the types of settlements, but I will tell you just a few more details related to some periods. During the Neolithic, we find the first permanent settlements and also the famous Stonehenge, whose story you will hear when we learn about Muggle Art. There were also several cave paintings, the first being a hand print found in a cave near Marseille, and later on some animal paintings and some hunting scenes. During the Metal Age we also have the first wheel (Copper) and the first fortresses (Bronze), but we shall learn more about the first wheel later. The Iron Age was most famous for the development of strong weapons. As I have said, I will not bother you with details now, but while we advance, there will be more and more details. Especially when we reach the World Wars and the Cold War. You will have to memorize a lot of dates, a lot of names and a lot of events. But for now, not much details. And that would be it.'', said Wilson clapping his hands once.

He looked at the students. ''I suppose you would like to know your grades, which is why I will tell them to you. For the first class, the ones that have failed to show up will get a T. Mr. Poe, Mr. Williams and Mr. Malfoy will get an O, even though Mr. Williams was late. Mrs. Lestrange and Mrs. McLean will get an A for their participation in class. Therefore, my ladies, more work next time. I will also give another 10 points to Gryffindor and another 5 points for Slytherin as a motivating reward. I hope that all of you are satisfied. Regarding your homework, WHICH IS DUE TO NEXT SATURDAY (October 24), you will write a essay with at least 5 paragraphs. In it you will describe every species that we have talked about today, including their appearance and life-style. You will need to do a little research for it because if you add only what we have said, I will fail you. I want to see some new info. Also, try to use precise sentences, that are long and grammatically correct. I lower grades for such mistakes. I hope you will have fun writing your homework and I expect to see it in a week. Now, here are your wands (returning them to the students)! Class dismissed. You may exit the classroom. If anyone has any extra questions, just ask. If not, see you next class'', said Wilson bowing to the students. He was satisfied with what he had done.
James William Wilson
James William Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post by Godric Delk Malfoy Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:06 am

Godric walked up to the teacher, an odd expresion on his face. He had been sure to stay silent when corrected about the basis of religion. After he stood and got to the teacher he spoke quietly. Excuse my frankness sir, but I'm not quite sure why we arn't also going over the biasies of Muggle Religion. Isn't it a running factor in Muggle society? Even if your own personal views on Religion as a whole are that it is unimportant, shouldn't we at the very least include it in our answers souly due to the fact that it is in every major Muggle society? He wasn't talking back and his voice was truly perplexed.
Godric Delk Malfoy
Godric Delk Malfoy

Number of posts : 573

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:19 am

Aden was wondering the same think as he was standing up, and he was glad the Mr. malfoy said something. Aden decided to piggy back on this comment in hopes to maybe increase the chances of them going over it. "Maybe not the whole aspect of the religions, but i think for the purposes of this lesson their creation stories are as pertinent as Mr. Malfoy alluded at. Frankly sir i feel that the subject would be interesting as we have only looked at the one religion of Christianity in the past years perhaps one of the stories from the two other religions that do not share. At the very least i think that is what we should do."

(hope you dont mind Godric but i was thinking the same thing.)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top