A Birth day - Page 85
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

A Birth day - Page 85 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

A Birth day

Page 85 of 100 Previous  1 ... 44 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 92 ... 100  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Birth day - Page 85 Empty Re: A Birth day

Post by Ruby Lyne Tyler Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:56 am

Aria chuckled as she climbed into the Jeep glad she put the sundress on since it had open sides " Navigation is my forte" she said and took out a muggle phone imputting the restaurant address she navigated him right to the restaurant. Once there she climbed out then saw Marie Laveau's House of Voodoo and chuckled, taking his hand in hers she smiled as they ran across the road to the house "This should be interesting, let's see how much they got wrong." she added and looked up at the house. " if we weren't doing what we're doing I'd like this house, except for the voodoo part and the many deaths." she chuckled not even noticing she still held his hand in her own. " you think we can go inside?" she asked now curious as to how it would look.

Ruby Heard Angus and smiled "Yes it is, and it's wonderful," she said over the music. She heard the rest of Angus's words and laughed " It would be about time for Libby, she never had a long-term relshanship, well not while I knew her at the ministry." she said " but I think it will be good for both of them." she saw him hold out a cracker and ate it smiling " wow, I thought the gumbo was good, this is going on our list of recipes to make" she said then laughed when he spoke of an entree-sized portion for the main course.
Ruby Lyne Tyler
Ruby Lyne Tyler

Number of posts : 5135

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:14 am

"Yeah," Marcus said. "Its a shop of some kind." They went in and saw hundreds of strands of beads, bracelets, voodoo dolls, masks, tarot cards, ceremonial candles, books on voodoo, souvenirs of all sorts, herbal lotions and perfumes and air fresheners with mystical names, all sorts of odd things. Marcus browsed, but out of the corner of his eye, he was much more watchful of the people there instead. So far, he hadn't seen anyone that reminded him of the woman Angus had described in his dreams. He wanted to know if this witch was connected somehow to this shop. He wanted to come up with a reason to ask about an impersonator.

He found a shelf of several different biographies on Marie Laveau. He bought three different ones. He bought one that seemed to be the most popular, one that was focused on talking about the reality vs the myth, and one more that seemed to have more of a historical bent to it. He also found a book on voodoo spells and potions and rituals. That one was quite thick and expensive, but it seemed to be pretty comprehensive.

"See anything you like, my dear?" he asked Aria. "I wonder if maybe they would know perhaps a Marie Laveau impersonator for that dinner party for the investors." He asked the question quietly but well within earshot of a clerk that was restocking one of the jewelry display cases with silver cuff bracelets.

"I might need to get some Cajun cookbooks and check into some Cajun spice blends before we go home," Angus told Ruby as the server brought their desserts. He loved the malted chocolate pie and he had it with a cup of chicory coffee. He ordered her a cup of chicory coffee too. "Try that. That's the real deal chicory coffee. It's a New Orleans tradition. I might have to find a shop that sells some and get some for the house."

"I don't know that I can envision Libby in a long term relationship unless it starts purely for some sort of thing she's forced into or for something purely superficial. And Marcus definitely is not in a good place for a serious relationship either. But, neither should he have to go through life alone. I'd like to see him with someone he could periodically spend the night with, even if its just for the sport of it."
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 23605
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Lyne Tyler Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:26 am

Aria looked around the shop she watched as Marcus moved to the books and walked over to stand next to him "You know that's probably all twaddle right" she said as she picked up a book and turned it over to show an academic looking man who probably naver set foot in new areas. She put it back and heard him talk again "Yes, be a shame not to have one there, would show the investors," she said noting the look the clerk gave them "he's interested," she said softly as she placed the book back down and moved to look at the silver cuff bracelets seeing one a Bohemian Vintage Silver Turquoise Beaded Engrave Wide Grooved Open Cuff. " I like the look of that one," she said pointing out a colourful one with a large turquoise in the centre.

Ruby listened to Angus and laughed " I agree,  and Ar. Libby is just the one for him. " Ruby smiled " ow I do hope they do get together be good for James after what he went threw with his wife," she said smiling as the waitress brought their dessert. She looked at her pecan pie and smiled it smelled wonderful as she listened to him she smiled "We'll have to extend the pantry to hold all the spices you'll be bringing back, and we'd have to find a good supplier too." she placed a piece of the pie in her mouth and smiled "because if you can make this I'd be putty in your hands and yeah this coffee is so smooth too, didn't think I'd like it but I do."
Ruby Lyne Tyler
Ruby Lyne Tyler

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:54 pm

Marcus noticed some of the small, thinner silver cuff bracelets featured the exact same rune that was on Angus's coin, and then he noticed Aria eyeing one of the silver cuff bracelets and thought it actually went well with the dress she was wearing. The bracelet she was looking at had a large oval turquoise cabochon with smaller round beads wired onto the cuff with silver filled wire. He didn't see any runes on the bracelet that Aria was eyeing. Alongside her bracelet were the smaller silver bracelets with the runes. They had been etched into some round colored stone cabochons and set into solid bezel settings and then welded to the bracelets. Some of the bracelets seemed to be made for men and some were more delicate and made for women.

"Those are interesting," Marcus said casually gesturing to the smaller bracelets, deciding to pretend to be pretty ignorant about such things. "What's that little scribble on the stone mean?"

"That's a voodoo rune," the clerk said. "It's a voodoo symbol. There are several different ones, but that one, in particular, is a protection charm, guarding the wearer from dark magic and evil spells and spirits."

"Do they work? " Marcus asked, hoping to pass as a muggle tourist and nothing more. The clerk just shrugged, and Marcus saw clearly that this guy was a muggle who was a skeptic about supernatural things. Marcus looked at 'Libby.' "You know, we promised our friends some souvenirs. What about getting one or two of those clever little bracelets? You know how they all like silver, and the stones are nice and colorful." Marcus was thinking, specifically, of one for Ruby, just in case the runes really did work since he knew she would be pasting herself to Angus under the circumstances. Maybe some for their kids since he knew Evan and the teens would be coming. Perhaps, for now, though, he'd buy just one and let Iya look at it--maybe.

"Could my wife take a closer look at that big bracelet she's interested in, please?" Marcus asked the clerk.

"Of course," the clerk said, getting the big cuff bracelet out of the case for them. "It's a one of a kind piece. All our pieces are handmade by a couple of local artisans. Aside from the fact that the big stone is turquoise from Arizona, I don't know a lot. That much I know, but I can't tell you for sure about the other stones on the bracelet. Not sure exactly what they all are."

"Well, I can tell you that," Marcus said. "They're three millimeter gemstone beads. The white ones are white jade. The yellow ones are citrine, the red ones are red aventurine, the blue ones are lapis lazuli, the pink ones are pink opals, and the green ones are green jade. They're nice quality beads too. It's a nice piece." He looked at the back of it for any makers marks or any other marks and then handed the bracelet to Aria. "Try it on," he suggested to her. "If you like it, I'll get it for you, as long as I'm in the mood to spend a little money anyway."

"Well, we can certainly help you do that," the clerk laughed.

"I will certainly do my research about spices and herbs," Angus said to Ruby as he sipped on the last of the chicory coffee in his cup, "but there is one particular herb that is characteristic of Creole cooking--file powder--it's a ground herb made from the dried leaves of the sassafras tree. A lot of the other Creole spices are blends of herbs, spices, peppers, that sort of thing that are already common ones. So, if I have a good book on Creole spice blends, I can make my own, so long as I have the file powder. It's the real key, as I understand it, in that gumbo you liked so much. No self respecting Creole would make gumbo without file powder. And--just so you know,..." he said softly to her, "if I want you to be putty in my hands, I know more ways than one to do that. And none of them involve any more sightseeing tonight."
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Lyne Tyler Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:03 pm

Aria looked at the rune braclets he was indicating and studied them closly when he spoke to the clerk she eyeed his movents seeing nervousness at Marcus's questions and his ability to notice each stone, its quality and color. She could never do that when prompted she nodded " yes we can't leave out our freinds dear" she said moving cloer to him to look at them then she picke up the baraclet she ahd pointed out and slipped it on her wrist but nor before making sure with ehr fingers that there was nothing harmful on its inner rim. Once on her wrist she fake smiled at the clerk and showed Marcus. " you have to get this for me dear." she said in a skckly sweet tone to him.

Ruby heard him talk of the file spice and nodded " oh it was wonderful, maybe we could fine a small suplier while were here " she said then hearing his words just knew her cheeks flared a bright red at them " oh Im sure and know you do dear" she said smiling teasingly at him as she finished her tea placing her cup down infront of her.
Ruby Lyne Tyler
Ruby Lyne Tyler

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:25 pm

"We'll take the bracelet," Marcus said, "and we'll take one of the ladies' rune bracelets. Maybe that one with the chrysocolla cabochon."

"Huh?" the clerk was clueless. "Point it out to me."

"That one--the one with the green and blue stone."

"Oh. Okay. What'd you call it?"

"Chrysocolla. It's a natural stone with a mix of malachite--which is a bright green stone, and azurite, which is a bright royal blue colored stone. When they're found together in the same rock, they're called chrysocolla."

"I'll never remember that, but it's cool all the same," he said. taking the bracelet out of the case and handing it to Marcus.

"It is. You're right," Marcus said. He bought the two bracelets and the books, and then he looked at the clerk again. "Say, is there any real history with this place and the real Marie Laveau?"

"Actually yes. This house is on the same site where Marie's house was back in the 1800's. We've had psychics in here who say that Marie is still here and haunts the place."

"Really? Have you seen her?"

"Nah. Not me."

"We're having a business dinner, and we'd like to find a Marie impersonator for some fun. Are there any women who do that?"

"The better question is are there any women who don't do that," the clerk rolled his eyes. "There are some that are better than others though. There are a couple who actually do some slight of hand and magic, and that makes for a better show. I don't have the contact information, though. You could come back some morning and ask Delilah. She's the owner. She'll have some numbers of the better impersonators."

"We'll do that. That's very helpful. Thank you," Marcus said, as the clerk packaged their purchases, tucking in some brochures about the House of Voodoo for them. He looked at Aria. "I think we should go get some supper. I'm getting hungry."

"I bet we wont' have any problem finding some file," Angus said. "Well, now that I am completely stuffed, should we drive or should we head home and start on some of our homework. Of course they had to give us jobs that is going to require research on our part."
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Lyne Tyler Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:33 pm

Aria watched as Marcus dealt with the clerk looking around the house as he paid for the bracelets and books. Looking back at him she heard him talk about the house and listened when the clerk mentioned impersonators and of one inpaticuler that he liked. Hearing about calling back in the morning to talk to another person she smiled "I'm sure we will thank you" she said at the same time Marcus said bye. Walking to the door she heard him and nodded " Agreed Im starved." she said smelling the smell of cooking food from across the road her stomach rumbled loudly." wow sorry , guess Im hungry too." she said with a chuckle.

Ruby smiled and nodded " I like that idea, you could cook me gumbo" she said and chuckled as she sat back in her chair " that was an excetional meal if I do say so" she chuckled.
Ruby Lyne Tyler
Ruby Lyne Tyler

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:01 pm

Marcus went out with her and his stomach was growling too. When hers growled, he laughed.

"Not a problem. Mine's growling just as loudly as yours," Marcus said. He navigated them to jaywalk back across the street and up a few doors to go to the Olde Nola Cookery that she had suggested. It was a little place, but inside it was bustling with people who all seemed to be almost celebratory about just getting some supper. The music system was playing jazz and Creole folk music. The aroma of comfort food was thick and heady and mouthwatering.

"This only makes me hungrier," he laughed. A hostess showed them to a table and gave them drink menus, saying their server would be there shortly. "If you like whiskey, you should try a Sazerac. It's an alcoholic drink that was created by a Creole man here in New Orleans in the early 1800's. Its made with whiskey, bitters, and an anise liquer called herbsaint. They're powerful drinks that are not for sissies, but I rather like them. Oh, look. Appetizer menu is on the other side of the drink menu. How about some crab cakes and maybe a cup of gumbo as a couple appetizers while we drool over the dinner menu? And yes, Americans refer to supper as dinner."

Angus and Ruby headed home but Angus got distracted by a little roadside market that looked very much like the restaurant they had just left. Angus found a large jar of file powder there, a hefty sized can of chicory coffee, a jar of muffaletta mix, and some other Cajun things. He just bought a bunch of different things they hadn't tried just to taste them and see what he might do with them. He ended up with two very large grocery bags of things to try, and, for him, it made him very happy. He liked the idea of trying different foods, and he figured that Ruby and Marcus and Aria might like them too. The last thing he bought was two dozen locally baked, fresh Creole fig cookies. When they got back into the truck, he looked at her and grinned.

"What do you think? A non alcoholic nightcap maybe? A cup of chicory coffee and a fresh fig cookie?" he asked, starting up the truck. "I definitely have to get some Creole cookbooks. This could be the best part of the trip."

Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Lyne Tyler Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:07 pm

Aria laughed as she heard his stomach rumble with hers " hey were rumble buddies" she said and chuckled " okay let go" she said as they walked over to the restaraunt and walked inside " wow I know what you men , I'm practcaly drooling." she said and spotted atable " there , thers a table" she said and walke dover with him to it. Sitting she looked at the menu " all looks and sunds good, but I'll go with your recomandations, and that drink sound dright up my ally" she said and smiled as she pledced her menu on the table and lent on hr elbows leaning closer to him" so Mr James want to tell me abit more about yourself?" she asked " unless you want me to go first?"

Ruby followed Angus out to the truck and climbed inside . She sat as he drove then stopped looking around she saw the stall and smiled as she climbed out and walked over to it watching as he bought some spice and th tea " oh that sounds great," she said smiling as she took some of the things he bought " maybe we could keep an eye out while were around" she said smiling as she knew he would definaly put the books to use.
Ruby Lyne Tyler
Ruby Lyne Tyler

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:30 pm

Marcus ordered the drinks and appetizers, and then when she asked about him, he laughed.

"You know most of the important stuff already," he said. "My parents own Honeydukes, and they have my five kids when I'm working and my kids aren't in Hogwarts. And despite all the craziness they've had, they're really great kids. They're planning on coming to stay with me for a bit this summer at Brian's estate, and I think I'm as excited as they are. I'm thinking we might actually camp out on the grounds on the good weather nights. If it rains, we'll probably sack out someplace on the floor in the main house. They want to go to Romania and see Charlie Weasley's dragons, but that might not be on our schedule this summer.

"I speak several languages, and I know more than I really want to about properly fitting clothing and about formal occasion etiquette from my time with the Bulgarian minister of magic. I sort of know how to cook. I like driving fast cars, and I like poker. I like running, skiiing, skating, and a host of other sports. What about you?"

"I think," Angus told Ruby as they finally arrived back home, "that we can use our cover to our advantage. We are supposed to be here for a purpose, and I think some sightseeing and some restaurant frequenting and cookbook buying fits right in with your cover and..." He looked up and saw lights on in the house when he pulled the truck into the driveway. "I didn't leave lights on," Angus said. He turned off the truck and got out quietly, deliberately trying to be quiet about closing the door of the truck. He slipped quietly up onto the porch and tried to peek in the windows but he saw no one. He silently opened the door and went inside carefully, and as he was about to slip through the living room to go to the kitchen, he ran smack dab into Robert who was coming through from the kitchen with a mug of tea in his hand.

"I could have fired at you," Angus sighed, taking a breath to try to get his heart to stop pounding.

"Not like that you couldn't," Robert laughed, pointing at Angus's hand. In his haste, Angus was leveling the wrong end of the wand towards Robert, and Robert thought it was hysterical. "I came to bring a new formulation of a sleep potion to try. Iya and Beau are in the kitchen..."

"They're staying tonight?"

"Angus, Marie wants to kill you. Do we have another choice but to make sure Iya goes with you into your dream stage to keep you alive?"

"I don't know," Angus sighed. "Feels like I need a babysitter."

"Yeah, I can understand you feel that way, but its temporary. Hang in, would you?"

"I'll try," Angus said.

"And turn your damned wand around, Nitwit."

Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Page 85 of 100 Previous  1 ... 44 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 92 ... 100  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top