Attracting The Unwary - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Attracting The Unwary  - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Attracting The Unwary

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Attracting The Unwary  - Page 2 Empty Re: Attracting The Unwary

Post by Guest Wed May 08, 2013 10:27 pm

Normal world? Bertie could only guess that she mean't the muggle world. He understood why she would want to return there, darkness plagued the wizarding world. But then also within the muggle world. Starvation in Africa, theft and shootings were a regular occurrence in the Carribean and you had the yobs in England.

'Are you muggle born?' Bertie asked, hoping it wouldn't spark any lying emotions Erika might have, around here muggle borns were still frowned upon, especially by Slytherin students and now even a few pure blood supremacists in others houses.

Bertie listened intently as she began to explain how the flutterby bush radiates a scent that is unique to each individual and due to individuality we will all smell something. 'I guess we must be quiet similar.' Bertie smiled, 'I smell fresh books too.' He added leaning forward to smell the pollen of the flutterby. He felt comfortable being around Erika. He could relate to her creativity and found that being himself came natural. He didn't have to worry about being cast as a peculiar daydream child.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Erika Dixon Thu May 09, 2013 5:58 am

"Are you Muggleborn?"

Of course, that question had to pop up sometime or later. She smiled faintly, "Yes, and bloody proud of it." The next sentence was a bare murmur, trailing in the air. "Wish I could cut off the 'born' sometimes and just be plain old normal...."

He smelt books too? A slight approving note entered Rika's voice. "Glad to hear that there are at least some civilized people here....." Being sorted into Ravenclaw, one would think that she was surrounded by bookworms, but that sad fact was that wizard/witches' bookishness was often limited to spell theory and bland magical knowledge. If she mentioned Dickens or Wordsworth before anyone, all she got was blank looks. Dry as a biscuit, were the minds of these magical people. No spark of intellect, or creativity at all.

This boy seemed different though. "Do you read Muggle literature? Poems, perhaps?" Maybe she had finally found a fellow writer in this thirteen-year old boy. His appreciation of things like sunsets and the aroma of the flutterby certainly hinted towards it.
Erika Dixon
Erika Dixon
Seventh Year Ravenclaw
Seventh Year Ravenclaw

Number of posts : 138

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 09, 2013 8:58 pm

Bertie chuckled when she mentioned that she was 'bloody proud' of her blood purity. 'It's not too bad magic though, you get the best of both worlds.' Of course if Erika were a pure blood then she wouldn't be getting the best of both worlds, and would most likely not understand what was good in the muggle world. 'I grew up in the muggle world. My family are magical although my Mum was a Squib so...' He hoped that Erika didn't think any less of him, he wasn't ashamed of his Mum's, what wizards called disability. She got on well in the Muggle world and he couldn't ask for a better Mum.

The brown eyes set into Bertie's eyelids sparkled. Did she know he loved to write? Was he giving off some sort of aura? 'Of course! I write all the times. Novels, poems. I even write a bit of music. I do read too but not as much, I prefer being the creator.' He said happily gazing at Erika. 'Do you read and write?' He asked, hoping that at last he had found a friend in this castle who enjoyed to write as much as him.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Erika Dixon Sat May 11, 2013 4:30 am

Best of both worlds? More like the worst......magic ruined her life. Her family, herself even. Ruined who she had been.

Get a grip on yourself. Brenda sounded increasingly aggravated. Stop going off into depressed-mode, it solves nothing.

"Squib? That's rare..." Then, almost as if sensing the unease flickering in the boy, she smiled reassuringly, "And it's not the end of the world for her. Being non-magical is no biggie. In fact...." She exhaled slightly. "If it was possible, I would probably donate my magic to her. I've never wanted it."

Then Bertie spoke of writing, and Rika grasped the lifeline it provided, yes, getting all depressed would do her no good. "Reading is a luxury, and I indulge in it as often as possible. Writing....sometimes. When I'm in the mood. I tend to stick to poems and short stories though. Fantasy...fiction. Much better than reality, I think you agree." An amiable smile. "I don't suppose you'd let me read your work sometime?"
Erika Dixon
Erika Dixon
Seventh Year Ravenclaw
Seventh Year Ravenclaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 11, 2013 5:37 pm

'Yeah. She doesn't mind, sometimes she may have wished she was magical but she gets to have all the muggle things we don't, such as electricity.' Bertie agreed nodding. It was true, his Mum had always brought him up in the muggle world, despite presenting magic from an early age she had never exiled him from the muggle world. The truth is, sometimes he wished she had. He never made friends throughout primary school and used to write for refuge, escape the loneliness.

'Fantasy is my favourite!' Bertie beamed, standing up to pick another flower from the flutterby bush and inhaling the scent of fresh parchment. He closed his eyes. The sound of the rain was rather relaxing, even if he didn't like being in it himself. He slowly opened his eyes. 'Only if I get to read some of yours.' He said grinning before sitting back down with Erika.

'Do you think if I sent a clipping to my Mum it'd keep the scent during delivery?' Bertie wondered gazing down at the sunset petals.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Erika Dixon Mon May 13, 2013 1:24 pm

"Read mine?" The question was asked in a shocked tone, Rika cleared her throat to bring back some composure. "I...That's....." Back in St. Franceska's, no one really cared to appreciate the writing talent of the most unpopular girl in school. If Rika didn't know better, she would think she had an impromptu boycott movement declared against her. She liked writing. Whether her writing was good or not......that was a different matter altogether.

"No, no." She shook her head side to side, hair flopping from one direction to the other. She assumed a teacher-talking-to-a-five-year-old tone, "You no read my writing. Me grammar bad." Nodded for emphasis. "Very, very bad."

A smile cracked through the mock-serious face though. "I'm serious you know. My writing skills aren't all that good." Then her brows furrowed in thought. "A clipping should preserve the scent, as long as you pack it well, prevent air from coming into contact with it. The aroma will be fainter, but it should definitely hold."
Erika Dixon
Erika Dixon
Seventh Year Ravenclaw
Seventh Year Ravenclaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 13, 2013 8:18 pm

Bertie laughed at Rika's astonishment, it was as though she'd never heard somebody ask her the question before... Maybe she hadn't? Bertie couldn't understand why though. Someone with such a passion for writing must have some literary skills, and people would or in his eyes should have an interest in her talent.

'I am sure you're not that bad!' He said nudging her cheekily. 'Mine isn't great so it's a fair trade that way.' He beamed, rather impressed at how they seemed to get on so easily. He felt he could just let go, he didn't have to think what to say and force the conversation it just came unnaturally naturally.

Bertie nodded, before leaving the greenhouse into the adjacent one, returning with a plastic food bag with a seal at the top. 'Will this do?' He asked Erika, he guessed it would, it was air free and if it preserved his snacks for in between lessons it'd surely preserve the plant's aroma.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Erika Dixon Wed May 29, 2013 6:37 am

It was rather disconcerting, to see someone smiling at you so brightly. Especially when you aren't used to it. Bertie was all bright-eyes and twinkly-smile, and Rika felt that the word 'no' was slipping fast and sure through her grasp.

She flushed slightly. "Um....okay, maybe it isn't that horrible. I guess I could show you something, its not a story or poem or anything, just uh......actually, I have it in my robe pocket right now." She fiddled with her pockets, finally withdrawing an old, crumpled piece of parchment. Smoothening the wrinkles out, she hesitated, "Promise you won't laugh though. Or actually, since its humor-writing I guess you should laugh....I mean, not that I'm ordering you to laugh or anything if its not funny..." Rika shut her mouth with a snap. That was enough inane babbling for one day. Her hand twitched, finally dropping the scrap on Bertie's palm.

She covered her face with her hands, peering through her fingers. Her last sentence was a mumble. "Yup, the food bag will do."

((The writing on the paper is in the spoiler part ))
Spoiler:
Erika Dixon
Erika Dixon
Seventh Year Ravenclaw
Seventh Year Ravenclaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:58 pm

Bertie giggled at Rika's doubts about her work. Accepting the parchment he unfolded it and began to read. His eyes scanned across the parchment slowly, absorbing ever comical word. He couldn't help but chuckle. It reminded him of the cheesy cartoons he watched as a young child on television where the 'bad guy' would say exactly what they were doing. Of course this was just so the audience knew what was going on in their head and to come across as 'dramatic' yet he liked how Erika took the mick out of it a little.

The only time he stopped giggling was the mention of horcruxes and lord of the rings. He had heard of Lord Of The Rings but with it being a rather old film growing up it was never something that he watched or knew much about. Then horcruxes. He was completely stumped, having never heard of them. Well he was a third year after all; plus a banned topic to teach at Hogwarts. 'What are hor-cruxes?' He asked, breaking the word apart as he said it in an attempt to pronounce it correctly.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Erika Dixon Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:09 pm

He liked it. He liked it. He liked it.

It was a small feeling. Which grew and blossomed and chirruped, until Rika felt that the sunlight refracting off the glass walls of the greenhouse couldn't possibly be brighter, or the flowers smell so sweet. It was a fulfilling feeling. It reminded her of standing on a podium, years ago and delivering her maiden debate, then hearing the applause. She hadn't been able to name the feeling then, nor could she do it now. She might have been able to identify it, if she had felt it more often. Pride.

Then Bertie posed a question, and Rika stopped feeling like she could grow wings and stretch out into the sky. She faltered, and paused, and opened her mouth. To tell him to forget such a word even existed, to protect those bright eyes and child-like smile which still thought that no world existed outside imagination. That was unaware that there were some things which tainted the mind, the soul, and were beyond thought altogether. But she stopped again.

Bertie was a curious child, that much was evident. If she silenced his question now to protect his innocence, then he might divert to other means out of ignorance, if nothing else. She had no doubt that the people around him were over protective of him, shielding him from the realities of the world. Much like her brother had been at the age of ten. And today he was......never mind. The fact was, Erika didn't want to be one among those people, who Bertie might resent for hiding the truth from him one day.

She began slowly. "Horcruxes are.....in crude terms, pieces of the soul. Ripped, torn from the original. Deliberately. One who creates a Horcrux is immortal until said piece of soul, stored in an object, has not been destroyed. Horcruxes are among the Darkest of magic......created by murder. Cold, bloody, murder."
Erika Dixon
Erika Dixon
Seventh Year Ravenclaw
Seventh Year Ravenclaw

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum