Trouble never sleeps
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Trouble never sleeps Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Trouble never sleeps

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trouble never sleeps Empty Trouble never sleeps

Post by Alice Longbottom Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:09 am

Pain. Horrendous physical pain was what Alice felt as she walked through the vacant streets of Hogsmeade. It was both too late and too cold for the usual humming crowd to be seen strolling about. Instead, only a few lost souls and alley cats made their appearance on the stage tonight. How bloody difficult could it be to find a pub - or anything of it's sort - near here. Pain again. Her head was pounding with such an intensity that it would have given any drummer a run for his money. She was used to headaches by now, as it became an essential part of her morning and lately even her evening as well. But this was something she hasn't quite experienced before, not in this intensity at least. Blood was roaring behind her ears in sync with the hammer pounding her forehead. She couldn't last this torture much longer.

Alice tugged on the black, snaked shaped necklace that was dangling on her chest and rushed ahead. The fact that she had received it from the very guy she was mad about made it quite a special object for her. For some reason, she had believed that it had certain powers prescribed to it, perhaps a protection spell of some sorts. Not that she had any proof of it, but in her own mind just her thoughts were enough evidence for her. Finally noticing a small pub on the corner of the street, Alice didn't hesitate to come in. It was a strangle little place, quite secluded from the rest of the world. Most of the few tables it had were filled with old, tired men and loud drunks that were a common type of costumer at this time of the night. Alice felt a few pair of eyes examining her strangely as she came in, but she was beyond the point of caring. It was definitely not the type of place you would expect to see her in.

As she took a seat in the far corner of the pub, the headache had finally loosened it's grip on her. She sank down into her chair and took a deep breath, letting all her troubles roll down her shoulders. Finally, she might just have a moment of peace to herself. Even thought troubled by the pub's suspicious atmosphere, she decided to stay and ordered herself a coffee and some firewhiskey. Her second order was mainly her attempt to prove the waitress and her little audience who was now watching her, that she was in fact older. She had no desire of actually drinking it, but she figured that an eighteen year old girl would be a common sight in this place. While a fourteen year old would cause quite a stir. Thankfully, her coat and winter clothes hid her tiny frame and masked her years well.
Alice Longbottom
Alice Longbottom
Fourth Year Gryffindor
Fourth Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 355

Back to top Go down

Trouble never sleeps Empty Re: Trouble never sleeps

Post by Albus S Potter Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:10 am

Cold. Cold, cold, cold, cold, cold. Albus liked the cold. He always had. But the cold could get pretty lonely at times, especially at times when he was walking alone on a cold, wintry evening around a desolated Hogsmeade path. The lights were dim, curtains drawn on almost every home......at this time, people were heading back to their homes, looking forward to meeting their loved ones after a day of hard work. Albus had neither. Not a job that required you to work your guts out, and no loved ones.

Well, not technically really. The note from the Auror Office, informing him that he had been accepted for the training, was lying in his pocket. As for loved ones.....his family was there, but they were busy. They loved him enough to take time out of their schedules for him if he ever felt like asking....but still busy. With their own glorious lives. Albus knew it was time to craft his own life.....but hell if he knew what he wanted to do. Auror seemed a natural course of action.....but everyone expected him to be an Auror or a Quidditch player. Couldn't he do something different? As far as personal life was concerned....Albus was tired of the same old people, for reasons inexplicable. The friends were joking, laughing, teasing, trusty, loyal.......the girlfriends beautiful, kind, caring, loving........His life was downright perfect. Ridiculously so.

So Albus slipped into one of the dingy pubs that littered the side of the main road of Hogsmeade. A perfect Potter wouldn't do that. He walked up to the bar and ordered a drink, a highly toxic mix of several liquors. A perfect Potter wouldn't do that either. He even winked at the barmaid in a manner so mind-bogglingly different from his usual quiet personality that his inner rebellious spirit whooped in joy. There was no way in hell that a perfect Potter would have done that.

Then of course, his eye had to fall on a girl sitting in the corner of the pub. Head down, drink tightly clutched in palm, coat drawn tightly around herself, highly reminiscent of a person desirous of avoiding attention. Which of course, drew Albus's attention to her even more. After a few more seconds of inspection, his emerald eyes narrowed, and he walked over to the girl, dropping himself casually on the seat next to her. His voice was deceptively casual, "Hey Alice. Fancy meeting you here."
Albus S Potter
Albus S Potter
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Number of posts : 454
Special Abilities : Parseltongue

Back to top Go down

Post by Alice Longbottom Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:29 pm

At the time, coffee seemed like a miraculous drug Alice couldn't get enough of. It soothed her nerves so effectively that she had wondered if something else was put in her cup besides milk and sugar. But no, thoughts such as that were too paranoid for her usual way of thinking so she quickly dropped the subject. If she wasn't so conscious of her surroundings, Alice would probably close her eyes and drift off to sleep. That was another things she was missing these days, sleep. Even though these past few months have been both challenging and quite a learning experience, deep inside, whether she would like to admit it or not, she was still that sensitive little girl. This was apparent through many aspects of her life, including her sleep patterns.

Andrei had given her a few things he said might help with the constant nightmares and insomnia. And she, as any good patient would, took them regularly with discipline. It took a while to get over her own suspicion of the origin of these drugs, but soon that stopped being a problem. She trusted him after all, and he would never do anything to hurt her. Besides, this was her only option at a time when Alice was desperate for help. She even considered talking to her father about it back then, but quickly gave up on that idea. There was no doubt that, being the experiences herbologist he was, Neville could help her probably even better than Andrei could. However, the explanations and the drama she would need to go through first made it seem like it wasn't worth it at all. Alice had enough trouble with her family as is, and she really didn't want them worrying about her for yet another reason as silly as this one.

Resting in her chair, she finished her cup of coffee just as a strange man sat next to her. She jumped in her seat and squirmed at the sudden company, until she got a proper chance to look at the man. "Albus!" Alice said with a large smile quickly appearing on her lips. "What are you doing here...?" she asked, but stopped at the end of her question. That was something he should be asking her instead. Looking around her table, she realized he had caught her in a not so pretty setting. Middle of the night, at a bar such as this, with a glass of firewhiskey on her table. All she was missing was a few cigarettes to complete the picture. Even though she doubted Albus was the type to judge, she felt quite ashamed of herself. Her cheeks blushed to a rosy red color and she smiled at him shyly, trying to hide her sudden nervousness. "I mean I wasn't expecting to run into you like this." she quickly said, having given up any though of explaining her presence here. "It's really nice to see you again" she said softly, truly meaning it.
Alice Longbottom
Alice Longbottom
Fourth Year Gryffindor
Fourth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Albus S Potter Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:36 am

He hadn't seen Alice in ages. Difference in ages, Albus distancing himself from friends and family......both factors contributed to him not being able to speak to her in...months? She had happened to be one of the few people whom Albus didn't always have to wear a mask around, they had shared a good many conversations in past years. So yes, this time the smile which rose to Albus's lips was genuine.

"Its good to see you too." Albus responded, the smile on his face broadening. "Haven't seen you in ages." Then the smile on his face faded a bit. Yes, he hadn't seen Alice in a long time, and her looks might have transformed rapidly during the time. But he was quite sure that her complexion wasn't supposed to look so pale and colourless in the flickering light of the pub, the blush hardly contributing. And he was also certain that the last time he had seen Alice, she didn't have those worrying dark circles around her eyes, or look so weary and drawn-out. Albus felt a faint sense of worry gnaw at the back of his mind, which frankly did befit a perfect Potter, but Albus couldn't really bring himself to care about that right now.

Not to mention the fact that when the initial expression of happiness died off, Alice looked extremely uncomfortable and nervous, glancing here and there and avoiding meeting his gaze directly. From what he knew of Neville, he was unlikely to have given her permission to come in such a place of questionable reputation so late at night. So she had come here. Alone. Without telling anyone. Albus fixed his gaze on her, voice tilting towards serious, "I admit, I wasn't expecting to run into you here either. I won't ask you what you're doing here, you obviously get enough of that from your dad." Then a slight smile, which invited confidence and trust, with a faintly joking tone, "I am pretty curious to know why you're here of all places though. I mean, if you really wanted to sneak out at night, there are a thousand more interesting places to be."
Albus S Potter
Albus S Potter
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Alice Longbottom Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:44 pm

She chuckled when he had mentioned her dad. Was it that obvious that her father's greatest wish would be to have her within a 10 feet radius at all times? Alice loved her family of course, but they could be a bit overbearing at times. And now she had to explain what she was doing here in the first place. "I didn't sneak out" said Alice being honest. She did have a permission slip to visit Hogsmeade, although something told her that didn't include visits to a pub at this time of night. Alice honestly had no idea what she was doing here, let alone be able to explain it. She didn't want to mention her headaches as she knew it would only worry Albus. That was the last thing she wanted to put in his thoughts, worry about her over such a silly thing.

"I was meeting someone here. He just left" she said rather thoughtlessly. After she had said it, she wanted to take it back. Perhaps admitting to a stupid headache was better than this. But now it was too late for a second chance. "And you are right, it's quite a...well unusual place. I hope you won't hold that against me" Alice said with a soft smile. "Not exactly a place I should be seen at, if you know what I mean" She knew Albus wasn't one to snitch her out to her family for coming here, but either way there was no harm in making it sure. For some reason, trouble diligently followed her side wherever she went.

"But enough about me, what about you? What have you been up to these past few months" she asked curiously. With all the coursework she had on her plate lately, she didn't really have time to catch up on the gossip. She barely even red the Daily Prophet anymore. The last thing she heard from Lily was that Albus was applying for an Auror training. He would probably be put in the same unit as her brother since he had just began his training as well. "Have you heard back from the ministry? About your training I mean. Sorry for snooping, but Lily had mentioned a while ago that you applied to the Auror position about the same time as Frank. Any news about it?" she asked, although she doubted that someone like Albus wasn't welcomed at the ministry. At these times, people like him were their only hope of survival really.
Alice Longbottom
Alice Longbottom
Fourth Year Gryffindor
Fourth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Albus S Potter Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:48 am

Albus raised an eyebrow. "Well, I'm glad to hear that. I was half afraid you were gonna turn into another James." Then he leaned forward in a familiar, friendly way. "We need more sane ones in the family, if you ask me." It was a pretty frequent occurrence at those compulsory-to-attend family and friends gatherings. The others were out creating a ruckus, and he and Alice being one of the quieter ones were left to give each other company. Sure, she got along better with his own siblings than he ever did, but in spite of the 4 year age difference, she was great to talk to.

Then his smile died out entirely. His voice came out slightly sharper than expected, "Left? What do you mean left?" Then he cursed himself inside his head. Alice probably got enough of the overprotective attitude from her father and brother already. Albus had always been more of a friend to her, rather than a brotherly figure. So with a noticeably milder tone, but still lacking a smile, he spoke, "Don't mean to pry of course, its up to you who you choose to meet and when. Its just that if you were indeed meeting a guy here late at night, and he just left......." Albus fixed his unwavering, constant emerald gaze on her. "It frankly doesn't show him in a good light. Of course I'm not going to say anything to anyone but.....be careful. Thats all I ask."

"Well I've been.....here and there." Albus leaned back, stretching his legs. "Did a lot of useless, inane things not worth mentioning." Like practice the Darker Arts and mind magic. But upon mention of the Ministry, Albus stiffened imperceptibly. His voice lacked emotion. "Yes, I applied. I.....got selected. Training will be starting soon." Then in a not-so-subtle attempt to change the topic. "But enough about that. You look...well....." Albus's eyes flicked over the pale expression in front of him again. "Not so good. Ill?"
Albus S Potter
Albus S Potter
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Alice Longbottom Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:41 pm

"I'm afraid sanity is a very rare quality in our family. Still continues to be." she said with a laugh. Alice's family was anything but ordinary. They might all love each other, not at all times though, but quarrels and eccentric behavior was an everyday sight. That being said, Alice quite often stood out from the rest. Her shy and clumsy nature wasn't all that praised in her family circle. Her dad use to tell her he was exactly like her when he was a kid, although she doubted that was true. 'You will outgrow it, just like I did' he would tell her. But the question that kept invading her thoughts was what if she never does outgrow it? Was Alice doomed to be the black sheet of the family? If so, she might as well get some advantage out of it and have her fun. After all, no one suspects anything of the shy girl in the corner.

Alice wasn't all that surprised by Albus' sharp tone. After what she had told him, not wonder he was worried. But soon his voice mellowed down and he carefully returned to his normal pace of words. Being use to protective male figures in her life, she could understand his reaction well. After all, she herself was quite protective of her family as well and of Amelia. But Albus had managed to state his concern in a kind way, not an angered and frustrated one. And this was the biggest surprise of all. She found herself responding quite calmly to his words, striving for honesty even. Compared to her usually bitter and enraged reaction, it was quite a welcoming change. "I'm afraid very rare situations may in fact show him in a good light" she said with a sigh, thinking out loud.

Although she didn't actually meet any guy here, her mind drifted of directly to Andrei. Because he was the only person she would be waiting for while sitting in a place like this. Merlin knew she discovered her share of eerie pubs and coffee shops this way. They have both agreed it was the surest way to get out sight of the prying eyes of Hogwarts. It was Alice who always insisted on him leaving first. She couldn't avoid feeling like a common thief in the night most of that day, but she had no choice. Repeating the trouble that came with their last public meeting, which was in her family house no less, was not an option. And not seeing him anymore wasn't an option either. "I'm not the best judge of character it seems, according to my father. This guy...doesn't really fit the bill I guess. But I think people deserve a few chances before you discard them. And please don't worry about me. Believe it or not, I can take care of myself" she said softly.

"Nonsense, nothing is useless. And if I were you, I would spend awhile doing useless things before heading into a serious path. Merlin knows you deserve it" Alice said with an encouraging smile. She noticed his anxious behavior when she mentioned the Auror training and had already imagined how much pressure he was under to attend it. Family expectations was something Alice could relate to very well and she didn't wish it upon anyone, let alone Albus. She shifted her gaze to the floor at his comment and smiled shyly. Oh Lord, was it really that obvious? "Thank you Albus. I really do enjoy when you compliment my appearance" she said, putting a playful smile on her lips. "Yes sadly, I've been ill for the last few days. But it's just a cold, it should pass soon enough" she added quickly, as it was the first response she could think of.
Alice Longbottom
Alice Longbottom
Fourth Year Gryffindor
Fourth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Albus S Potter Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:01 am

"If the situations are that rare then......" Albus didn't want to stress on the topic too much. Merlin knew how much he abhorred it when people poked their noses in his private affairs. But the topic was such that he couldn't stop himself speaking out. He let out a barely audible sigh, "You know, your words aren't really helping to improve my opinion of the guy." Or Alice's expression. She looked too tense, too sad, too worried. Was the guy really right for her if he made happy, sweet-natured Alice like....this?

But then again, Albus had to reprimand his thoughts. Her father and family were already judgmental enough, Alice didn't need another person jumping into the bandwagon. And the moment Alice mentioned the 'bill', an ironic smile rose to Albus's lips. "The bill. Let me guess: a perfect, noble, kind-hearted Gryffindor. And your guy is exactly the opposite. Slytherin I'm guessing....and from a family of pureblood fanatics."

"But people often fail to realize that its the person, and not the family that matters." Albus tapped his fingers on the table restlessly. It was people like these who made his life hell. But this was about Alice, not him, so he turned back to her again with a light smile, "And if you think about it, I'm an ex-Slytherin, so I don't fit the 'bill' either. So I have complete faith in your choice." Then a slight pause. "I don't suppose you'll tell me his name, will you?"

"Love dropping comments on the ever-glowing Alice Longbottom." Albus hit back with a joking quip, but his mind was diverted. Alice's ailment didn't look like an ordinary cold. Shit, she wasn't contracting the green itch, was she? "Watch out, it may be something worse." He said absentmindedly. "You should have the matron at the Hospital Wing check it out."
Albus S Potter
Albus S Potter
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Alice Longbottom Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:03 am

Alice couldn't help but chuckle at Albus' suggestion. Oh he didn't even know how right he was. How he managed to always figure her out spot on was beyond her. "Something of that sort..." she admitted with a weak smile. "You might be the only person who thinks like that. And since I don't have the time to re-educate every ignorant and judgmental prick at Hogwarts, I deal with it. Mostly by not paying any attention to it in the first place." Alice said in a fiery manner. Usually Alice is quiet and has a demure nature about her, but equality was something she highly supported and fought for. It might not be surprising when the judgment comes from others, but it's very discouraging when it comes from her own family. The fact that he trusted her choice meant more to her than she could say. "Thank you" she said, with a reddish blush around her cheeks popping up more often than she had wanted it to.

"I don't see why not. I'm honestly surprised you haven't already heard it from all the family chatter. His name is Andrei" she said and after a short pause, finally managed to spit out his last name as well. "Dolohov. Andrei Dolohov" Alice said with a more careful tone now. Unfortunately for her, Andrei had a reputation that surpassed beyond his family's name. At Hogwarts, he was famous for his never ending pranks and troubled behavior. But what he was also known for was his affairs with many of the high ranked Slytherin pureblood girls. She wasn't exactly sure how much of it was true, since she never had the courage to ask. But it didn't matter in the end. Alice was determined not to judge him by his past, no matter how much it troubled and worried her. "Be nice" she asked with a pleading tone, not sure what his reaction might be once he found out his name. She wasn't quite sure how much Albus would know, since he left school a few years ago. But then again Hogwarts isn't a very private place either. "As I said... doesn't really fit the bill."

As Albus kept asking more questions about her health, she felt as if she was walking on a very thin line here. She had to change the topic of conversation soon, before she gets caught into something she can't get out of. "I'm fine!" Alice said in a more defensive tone than she had planned. "Sorry. I'm not really fond of healers, that's all. And I'm already taking something for it" she explained herself a bit anxiously. She pulled on the black, snake shaped necklace Andrei had given her, something she always did when she was nervous and tried to revert the attention to something else. "So how is your family? How is Lily and everyone? Has she told you that I've joined the Hufflepuff Quidditch team? Yep, I'm a chaser now" she said with a proud grin stretching on her lips. For someone that use to be so clumsy, that was quite an accomplishment beyond any expectations.
Alice Longbottom
Alice Longbottom
Fourth Year Gryffindor
Fourth Year Gryffindor

Back to top Go down

Post by Albus S Potter Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:42 am

Albus's eyebrows reached his hairline. Now this was a side of Alice he hadn't seen before. Merlin, she reminded him of his Aunt Hermione in SPEW-mode. If this guy could really make someone like Alice defend him so fiercely, then maybe he wasn't so bad after all. Of course, after the angry tirade, when Alice thanked him for his trust with a demure blush, Albus couldn't resist a faint smile. Alice would always remain Alice, rebelliously in love or no.

Dolohov. Dolohov. Albus's smile faded slightly. Not because he was judging the guy from his last name, hell no. Didn't Albus himself get enough of that already? It was just that......Albus hadn't really expected quiet, reserved Alice to fall for such a notorious name. The boy himself wasn't all that ideal either, from what he had heard. The forbidden fruit was always tantalizing, Albus knew that better than anyone. If Alice was so bent on this Andrei simply for the sake of rebelling against her father, or to prove that she was more than just a 'good girl'....."I'm not going to make any judgments, not until I've met Andrei Dolohov personally. But if you're doing this just to piss off your dad....then...." Albus trailed off, and fixed his intense emerald gaze on Alice. "Its not worth it. Trust me. But if you really like him then," Albus regained his smile. "I'm on your side."

But it was difficult, oh so difficult to remain calm, smile, and trust that Alice could take care of herself when she reacted like this. If anything could confirm the fact that Alice was truly ill, then her overly-defensive reaction was it. She spoke far too fast, in a much too hurried and nervous manner for her to be speaking the truth. She was hiding something, Albus was sure of it. The only question was what. "Alright then, if you say so." He said slowly, in a cautious voice. "You should make sure that whatever you're taking is medically approved though, it could worsen things instead of making it better. And Alice, " He leaned forward, just a bit, enough to see the small, snake-pendant that she was wearing, and mentally noting to check it later. "If you ever want to say something, share your thoughts, problems, anything at all......remember I'm there, okay?"

"That's great news." But Albus's voice was slightly distant, his mind was too preoccupied with the pendant he had just seen, it seemed like it had sentient magic emanating out of it, but Albus couldn't be sure.....Shaking himself inwardly, he pulled his concentration off the matter, and on to the conversation. "Lily and I haven't really.....corresponded for some time, so no, I didn't know." Then in a dry, yet mischievous tone. "I'm worried about your teammates though. Try not to crash into them during your matches."

Albus S Potter
Albus S Potter
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top