A Friend of a Friend - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

A Friend of a Friend - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

A Friend of a Friend

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Friend of a Friend - Page 2 Empty Re: A Friend of a Friend

Post by Michael Tremaine Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:07 am

"Very well, then. First of all, let me explain that this will not be any sort of traditional bodyguard as you may or may not have seen in any muggle movies. I am very good at my job, but I've never been widely known for doing much of anything in a conventional way. I have always worked very quietly. I specialize in stealth and espionage. Getting in and out of tough, tight places. Making very little noise. The fact that you do have the light, flexible body of a veela is something in you that I like very much. It will be a great asset. It is not necessary that you be 300 pounds of solid brawn.

"I do, however, prefer that you know the business end of a wand and how to use it if necessary and that you are very capable of firing a defensive spell if the situation should ever call for it. That means that as soon as possible, you and I will need to do a practice duel so that I can see where your skills are. I do not expect you to duel on the same level as an adult. But being able to somewhat score within your grade level is helpful. If you can do that, I will help you with teaching you some basic apparating and portkeying spells. Yes, I know you are too young fof them, but...well, rules, schmools. When the situation calls for it, I make my own rules. This does appear to be one of those times.

"If things become difficult in your house, I do expect you to sleep here. You're relatively new here. I presume you can use that in your favor by slipping in and out of here without being seen. Hopefully, you won't have to do that much. Your head of house, Professor Lyons is extremely intelligent and she doesn't miss much of anything. She's a good lot, though. I do believe she's trustworthy, but very inexperienced. She would not be my first choice of who to go to if you get between the proverbial rock and a hard place. Let us hope you can hold your own within your house during the overnight hours. If not, I shall help you come up with a sufficient lie to throw Professor Lyons off your tail.

"Remember that while you are on the grounds of the school, you have no powers to apparate or use a portkey. You can use those while you are off the grounds. However, the Ministry of Magic does have a monitoring spell in place to keep track of underage wizards. Be very careful which spells you use off school grounds or you might as well send Grindlewald or Forbes your intentions in an owl directly into their hands. We shall depend upon the fact that you are an unknown to them and we shall try to keep it that way. I do realize that might put a crimp in your style, especially if you like to be the star of the Ravenclaw social circle. I don't see that as being so all important to you for some reason., though.

"If we are lucky, I will be able to set you up with a proper trainer so that you can learn to train yourself properly. Oh, and one more thing you do need to meet....Hiss! Front and center! We have a guest. Sabriel, I do have one more enchanted pet you should meet." The flap on Michael's olive green canvas backpack started to move and out slithered an enchanted climbing rope.

"Meet Hiss," Michael smiled. "Don't even ask where one gets an enchanted climbing rope that can not only move about by itself, but this one thinks for itself. I don't think I have ever seen a sentient climbing rope anywhere. You may find that he can be extraordinarily wise, for a rope that is." The rope rose up like a cobra and looked at Michael, seeming to be a bit irritated at Michael's comment about the presumed lack of intelligence of ropes. "Oh, don't get yourself all in a knot about it, Hiss. You know most ropes are not like you." The rope seemed to be proud of itself at that point. It slithered over to Sabriel. "Be nice, Hiss. He is a friend. Don't do your snake routine on him. Khaat sent him."

The rope slid up Sabriel's chair and seemed to be checking him out very carefully. He made some gestures back to Michael.

"Hiss says he smells Khaat's perfume on you. You must have been sittting next to her. That's good enough for Hiss. Her scent on you is enough for him. If you ever need use of him, he lives in my backpack." Michael watched Otto run around in about three circles and curl up at Sabriel's feet. Faline simply curled up tight against Otto. "Well, it seems you passed all the pet tests," Michael laughed. "They like you. Now--if I understand my goddaughter at all, i would guess you have been inundated in a massive amount of information between what she told you and what you've learned about me. Take a few moments for your tea and sort your thoughts. Then you can ask me whatever you like." Michael picked up his own mug of tea and took a sip out of the mug. "There is always, always a pot of tea on the hearth here. Feel free to help yourself."
Michael Tremaine
Michael Tremaine
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 646
Special Abilities : Portkey Creation

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabriel Gardinier Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:03 am

Sabriel hung onto each an every word. His mind clung to each syllable. He was an analyzer by heart, and therefore a good listener overall. Tremaine's words entered his mind and stayed there. Yes, he had an advantage; he was young, had a lithe body, and he was a Veela. He was no stranger to the art of Alluring (he was taught privately and respectably by his tutors). A rare glimmer of pride sparked inside of him. Being with Tremaine, being with Khaat, made him feel relevant somehow. And that was what mattered to him the most.

The boy reached for some tea. It burned his tongue initially, but he soon realized that it could have been charmed. It slid effortlessly down his throat, thick and rich. He smacked his lips mutely. Yummy.

"I understand that you would like to test me," Sabriel said, regarding Tremaine's concerns about his magical prowess. "Would you like to duel me this evening? However, I do not know a suitable place .." It was true; aside from the Forbidden Forest, the school teemed with Death Eaters. "Maybe back here, in your office? Although I would hate to make a wreck of this place. Otto, Hiss, Faline and Mr. Hatrack are very intriguing." Did the hatrack have a name? Hmm, Sabriel was so preoccupied with the ottoman and Faline at his ankles he missed its general introduction.

Sabriel stood and gave a small, albeit formal bow. "So, you are my bodyguard. In exchange, I am your apprentice, yes? Student? Well, Professor, I will try not to disappoint you .."

Sabriel's eyes took a faraway gleam. For a moment, he couldn't recall what was plaguing him. Ah yes, Ferris. That man, his father, had tormented him for a stressful nine or ten years. Ferris took away any feelings of confidence he'd had and annulled any chance of finding self-worth. It was his cruel words, not his Perhaps this Tremaine would be his opportunity to better himself. Sabriel breathed deeply and smiled.

"I will not. I will not disappoint you."

Sabriel sat. He took another gulp of his tea, reveling in its warmth. It spread all through his body. After a few moments of collective silence, he bit the inside of his cheek. Even after everything, there was a certain awkwardness he couldn't shake. "I know you told me to be more comfortable around you, and I will certainly try. I am not so bad."

Last edited by Sabriel Gardinier on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sabriel Gardinier
Sabriel Gardinier

Number of posts : 135

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:31 pm

OOC: Just edit that post. Dont bother deleting it. Editing works wonders. ROFL. By the way, Michael has a quirk you don't know about yet. He has to nickname everybody. It really is a term of endearment. He never uses people's real names. So--Sabe is going to have to adjust to Michael being a bit, well, weird, but in a good way.

"Don't worry about remembering names," Michael said. "But, just so it doesn't weird out the hatrack for my not reminding you, his name is Snidely. It comes from a muggle cartoon that I happened upon when I was stuck in a muggle hotel over a blizzard years and years ago. They were running an animated cartoon that had a villain named Snidely Whiplash. It is a bit of an ancient show, but when I inherited the furniture from Khaat, Snidely didn't like me very well so I just took his attitude as being a bit snide. So Snidely seemed to fit. And he's just odd enough to like the name."

"As far as for testing you, a location is not an issue. We can use my classroom, or we can go to the Room of Requirement. Although, it would seem to make more sense to me to go to the Dueling classroom because magic coming from there would not fall under any suspicion from the Ministry or any of their lackies. We will wait until more reasonable hours to do that. If we duel during such an oddball time, we will be not only suspected but caught for certain. Let's assess the rest of your strengths. Tell me. What sort of physical shape are you in? Can you, for example, climb? As in climbing trees? I presume you don't do much mountain climbing, but climbing is a useful skill. What about stealth? How quiet can you be? Your genetics should make you very smooth and graceful, or very capable of it--much more so than the average human would be. We can use that. How long can you walk or run without getting out of breath? Oh--and do you swim? It is very helpful to me to know where your strengths and weaknesses are. And that include any and all special skills. For example--I am rather adept at climbing, slight of hand, and, well, I guess I'll just spit it out. I am very gifted at 'borrowing' things that are not mine, but I only operate for people like the Lupins who are fighting for a better world for us all. Never for personal gain, and never ever for dark arts followers." There. He'd said it. He was a wizarding catburglar--not that there were many of those, but there were very precious few places he could not get into or out of, and that made him almost irreplaceable for assignments such as protecting anyone that Khaat or Robert saw as being valuable.

"Next--what about your diet?" Michael asked. "Anything you are allergic to? What do you eat, how much and when? If I engage a physical trainer for you, he will want to work with your entire body--not just your exercise, but your rest habits, any potions you might have prescribed for you, and your food habits. He's also going to want to know what you do for enjoyment. And if there is anything or anyone you cannot do without. Those things would be very handy if someone wanted to use them as a weapon against you to draw you out. I know it is a great many questions, but as we get to know each other, you'll understand why."

OOC: I am considering having Michael call Sabe "Willow" because of his veela makeup? Does that work for you?

OOC: GAH! Buggar! I didn't put on my Michael hat. Oh well. I'm leaving it. I'll run to my "box of costumes" next time, take off my Khaaty hat and put on my Michael hat. Promise!

Last edited by Khaat Lupin on Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:41 am; edited 3 times in total
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 23615
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabriel Gardinier Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:54 pm

(( OOC: Perfectly fine! Going to post after school .. ))

Last edited by Sabriel Gardinier on Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sabriel Gardinier
Sabriel Gardinier

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:38 am

ooc: hey in case you missed it, i didn't forget you. i did post. LOL
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 23615
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabriel Gardinier Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:44 pm

Ah - ! Sabriel thought. Of course! He remembered the infamous Room of Requirement, located on the seventh floor. Many students have purposefully tried to draw the room out. In fact, Sabriel had been bombarded with invitations to find it during his first year. He had cast a silencing spell to muffle his mates' noise, then waited in a corner while the other Ravenclaws paced up and down the corridor. He had been excited; who knew what they could find inside? Perhaps some older trinkets from Potter's Army?

No one had found it. The room only presented itself to those in need for it. It did not have time for the other, frivolous young wizards seeking to prove a point. Sabriel learned his lesson, and he had returned there, seeking warmth. It was the very throes of winter and he had been shivering wildly. He had always managed to get very cold easily. There, he paced and paced, and finally - a door that had not been there before! He entered into a fire lit sanctuary. The floor plush carpet, designed to hold in the warmth. It was very, very warm. Sabriel stayed until morning.

"It is up to you," Sabriel replied. Tremaine's words made perfect sense; why go all the way up to the seventh floor when there is an entire room, unenchanted and unsuspicious - on the sixth? "I do not mind the location, wherever it may be."

He turned to the hatrack - Snidely? - and gave it a genuine smile. Suddenly, he slipped his arms out of his outer robe, revealing his school robes underneath. The corridors were drafty during this time of year, but Sabriel found himself getting very hot in Tremaine's office. "Snidely, my outer robe is getting a little bothersome for me; could you hold it?"

He looked at Tremaine. "I am sorry. I am not that strong physically. I do know martial arts -- I am almost a black belt, but that will come in time. I cannot climb without suffering some consequences, and I am not that confident in my ability to get back down .. " He shivered. Once again, his fear of heights and ill health were rather debilitating.

"As for my stamina, that is poor. I cannot run for more than ten minutes without losing my breath. Any longer than twenty and I start to feel dizzy. For a half hour, I usually pass out. It has not gotten better with practice." Flashbacks from his father's "training" skirted painfully across his mind. He forced them down and focused.

"You are right. Especially as Veela, I am able to get around without attracting attention. It occurs more often at home, where my appearance is not unusual. I believe I have a 'natural balance' as people call it"--he blushed at this. Did he sound cocky at all?--"and a few tell me I look like I am floating. I do not make much sound. Only, if they are less distracted, people tell me that I have a certain fragrance that lets them know I am there," he shuffled uneasily. ".. I am usually very quiet."

True. Although by now Sabriel was not sure if Tremaine would believe him. This situation certainly required him to explain himself a lot, and it was a situation to relevant too ignore. These were people high up in the classes that were trying to help him. It was nice to grace them with his voice.

He thought for a moment. Ah .. what else? Swimming? "I can swim, but I cannot hold my breath for long. There are other qualities about me, though. I could speak two languages fluently: English and French. My Italian is heavily accented. I am a good actor, although I am not sure where this has come from. I have memorized many spells and I know how to cast them. I am strategic and I like to put myself in my enemies' shoes. It helps me predict their next moves.

"My teachers have said that I observe external information and use it to my advantage. This could come in handy when I am weaponless. I notice the little things. And my senses are well-developed and keen, I might be able to sense an arrow coming or see a spell being cast from meters away.

"As for weaknesses, I have a great many. I have poor health and I am prone to infection. Hence, I get fevers a lot. I do not have much agility nor stamina. I suppose I can be very, very trusting. Too naive. My only phobia is heights, although I do feel slightly uncomfortable when I am in dark, fire lit rooms."

Tremaine also wanted to know about his diet. He thought for a moment, then mentally sighed. It was going to be more bad news for the man, but Sabriel knew he needed to be honest.

"I don't eat much often, but I am used to gourmet foods. Sometimes I vomit, but not very often." He blushed. "I can get a little nitpicky. Forgive me. I am on a strict regimen put together by my nurses so I can get my vitamins and proteins. So I am used to eating healthy."

Last edited by Sabriel Gardinier on Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : (1) Changed "she" to "he" in paragraph five. (2) Sentence modifications to improve flow.)
Sabriel Gardinier
Sabriel Gardinier

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Tremaine Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:00 am

"Some of those weaknesses are exactly what I expected, given your genetic makeup," Michael said. He watched Snidely eagerly reach out and snatch Sabriel's outer robe and run off with it. "Oh, well, now you've done it," Michael laughed. "You've thoroughly amused him. He'll be your friend for life now. And I daresay, he'll probably properly bring it back to you when you want to go.

"I am glad you're eating healthy. At least I won't have to teach you that. And getting gourmet quality food wont' be an issue. Except for if you choose to eat the stuff down in the dining hall. We can do better. I do, generally. And, no, it isn't conjured food. I choose to make my own in the kitchen. The house elves were put out at first, but now they just ignore me altogether. If the dining hall foods affect you, I can just cook for two instead of one, and those dumb elves downstairs wont' be any the wiser for it. Don't get me wrong. I have no ill will towards house elves. I have ill will against mere stupidity. These particular elves are just plain dumb.

"We can improve a bit on physical performance, without it being grueling or ugly. Most people don't like to exercise, so I do appreciate that. As I said I am not looking particularly for brawn. I can hire brawn if I need it. I am more interested in intellect, stealth, flexibility, skills with a wand...I think you can handle all of that. Some of the best aurors we've had in the ministry in the last few years were very slight of physical prowess but highly skilled with a wand and were quite imposing on that alone. We shall not focus on your limitations but rather on your strengths.

"As for those fevers and such, I do believe you said Khaat was going to look into some of that. I will leave that to her and her father for now. He is a Master Healer and a Potions Master. So, it well may be that she consults him after she meets with you again."
Michael Tremaine
Michael Tremaine
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabriel Gardinier Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:33 pm

Sabe breathed a sigh of relief. Why was he so worried? Tremaine did not seem particularly bothered by his weaknesses. But it seemed he did not like stupidity. Well, that should not be much of a problem for him; one thing he could admit was that he was always on his toes. And once he learned something it was hard for him to forget.

For a moment he wondered what the professor had in mind. Getting stronger without exercise? He supposed weight lifting was an option. Since it was meant to build his strength, Sabriel doubted he would have much of an issue with it. He only speculated whether it would be effective or not. Well, time would only tell.

He brightened at the news of Khaat. Her father? A Master Healer and Potions Master? A beacon of hope glimmered inside him. As far as his parents were concerned, his frailty had come from birth. They simply tried to cope with it instead of eliminating it altogether. Now, he had the opportunity to live a normal life. He smiled widely. "Are you coming with me? To Hogsmeade?" asked Sabriel. "That was where Khaat said she wanted to meet us."
Sabriel Gardinier
Sabriel Gardinier

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Tremaine Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:18 pm

"Well, considering the options, it seems to me that I can either stay here in this stuffy old albatross or go to Hogsmeade with you and see my goddaughter and swipe...I mean, buy...some fudge. It would seem that it makes far more sense for me to go with you," Michael smiled. "I would be no sort of a bodyguard if I didn't go along anyway. And since Hogsmeade is where i live when I'm not stuck in here it might be nice to spend a bit of time at home while I'm out." The footstools seemed to delight at the idea of returning home even for awhile. "Alright, you two. Settle down. I'll take you if you behave in my pocket." He would shrink them and tuck the them in his pocket and take them along.

"You said your appointment with her was next Saturday, then? What time?" he asked. "You should have all day out of the castle."

OOC: Sorry its short. Should we perhaps take this thread to hogsmeade and skip time a bit, or what would you like to do here?
Michael Tremaine
Michael Tremaine
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabriel Gardinier Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:34 pm

(( OOC: Of course Sabriel's about to give Tremaine his reply, but after that I guess we're through with this topic. ^_^ Although, what of Tremaine and Sabriel's duel? Do you want to get that out the way real quick or do the two threads simultaneously? ( if that's all right with the rules. ) And your post it just fine! This one is rather short as well))

The Veela couldn't help the giggle that escape him at the mention of "buying" fudge. Tremaine was a fun man, indeed!

"We did not particularly agree on the time .." Sabriel admitted. "I pretty much would have just showed up at The Three Broomsticks. If she was there, all was good. If not, I would wait for her. I kind of had to leave before we discussed things further .."

He smiled. "I am sure things will go well, Professor."
Sabriel Gardinier
Sabriel Gardinier

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top