Lesson 5 - N.E.W.T. Level - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Lesson 5 - N.E.W.T. Level - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Lesson 5 - N.E.W.T. Level

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lesson 5 - N.E.W.T. Level - Page 2 Empty Re: Lesson 5 - N.E.W.T. Level

Post by James William Wilson Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:59 pm

''Miss Pyrites? Is there something you'd like to say? Please, on your feet and now, for points and grades... do name a couple of elemental charms and their effects, I am sure the class would be thrilled to hear. Apologize my behavior, Miss Lyons, but I truly think you wouldn't mind me taking Miss Pyrites away from you for a brief moment'', he explained. He then waved his hand, thereby returning all the stuff inside the bag. He then took the bag and put it on her desk. He took his wand out. ''I don't think you should try anything similar to the stuff you did on my colleague's class, but the wand isn't for that. Whichever spell Miss Pyrites mentions and explains correctly, I shall demonstrate in front of you'', he said.
James William Wilson
James William Wilson

Number of posts : 1085

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Lyons Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:43 pm

The professor spoke up shortly after Amelia arrived in the classroom, only a few students coming in after her. It was unusual that, of those students that had arrived in her wake, one of them had decided to take the seat next to her. Although Amelia had pointedly not made eye contact to avoid actually having to talk to her classmate, she could tell from her periphery that it was Angelique.

Amelia had never personally interacted with the girl, but she had seen enough to know that she and the Slytherin girl were not likely to get along. Angelique was the type of person who pushed boundaries, and Amelia was the type of person that reinforced them.

As the professor began the lesson, Amelia put thoughts of Angelique from her mind and focused on the topic of the lesson, quickly coming up with several elemental charms, though she said nothing aloud. She was trying this term to keep the professors from noticing her overmuch, because it had only brought her unwanted attention in the past. Her goal was to perform above their expectations, but to do so discreetly.

Her focus was broken, however, when Amelia heard a whisper from beside her. When her eyes darted over, it was to see Angelique leaning toward her, muttering something about the water charm, followed by something completely unintelligible. Amelia turned her head slightly toward Angelique, though under the pretense of shifting her weight in her seat. Without being able to look directly at the girl, Amelia couldn't tell if she was joking, but the Ravenclaw didn't want to risk the wrath of the professor if she made a scene.

"Of course not," Amelia whispered curtly under her breath in an effort to get Angelique to leave her alone, all the while keeping her eyes trained on the professor. If Angelique had been serious in her attempt at the water charm - though Amelia highly doubted this was the case; Angelique might not be smart in her decision making, but she was intelligent - then this would correct her misunderstanding, and if she had been joking, hopefully this would serve as a hint that Amelia wasn't interested in playing along.

As soon as the words had begun to leave her mouth, however, the professor interrupted what she was saying, calling Angelique out on whispering in class. If he had spoken only a few seconds later, Amelia would have had an equally incriminating amount of whispering to attest to, and so Amelia pressed her lips firmly together as professor Wilson brought Angelique to the center of his attention, nodding almost imperceptibly at his comment in reference to her, and turning slightly pink in the process.
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Number of posts : 1645
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Apparation

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Peter Howard Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:08 pm

Elemental spells were quite possibly the most interesting spells out there. The manipulation of Mother Nature was fantastic to watch. It was fantastic to watch yes but often they were hard spells to perform. Arial knew a few but he wasn’t an expert on the spells. The easier ones everyone knew but he was privy to a Dark Elemental-esq spell and another particularly challenging one. Ariel opened his book up and flicked through it, stopping on a dog-eared passage about Werewolves. He scanned it and smirked a little before flicking forward in search of the Elemental spells. He’d been reading about them not so long ago and it would be sod’s law that he couldn’t find it now he wanted it.

Nethertheless, Ariel knew the spells he wanted to speak about, without using the text book as an aid. While the Professor antagonised another member of his house, Ariel continued to flick through the book, tapping his foot against the floor boards as he did so. When the girl, “Miss Pyrites” answered, Ariel looked up from his text book. He pursed his lips and scratched his temple absent-mindedly. He put his arm up into the air and rested his head in his other hand. “Sir? What about Tempestas? Or Attonbitus?” he asked, with an odd tone of respect. “I believe they both fall under the elemental category..”

(( Ahaha. I win. I got these off of our very own Spell Compendium! (: ))
Peter Howard
Peter Howard
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Number of posts : 336

Back to top Go down

Post by James William Wilson Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:29 pm

''Gubrathian Fire? Well, you are correct, I can't state otherwise, but I don't see you using the spell in practical dueling. Of course, if you have devised a good tactic, the spell can be more than useful, but I do not think it would be the first spell on your mind when fighting someone that could harm you. But, as per the spell itself, it causes an object to burn forever. In the end, that means that the object on fire won't burn down, because it could then, not be on fire. It could also be phrased as a philosophical paradox, but take it as it comes and, if you're not 100% certain that you want your candle to burn forever, I would suggest not using it. Although, I could demonstrate it to you'', he said. He then took Angelique's quill and pointed his wand at it, casting the mentioned spell. ''And this is how it works in practice. I doubt you will have any need for it now, but if you want to keep it, collect it after class'', Wilson said.

He then turned to the Slytherin boy, whose name he did not know. ''It is interesting how you Slytherins only know of Dark Magic. Has Archer taught you that on her classes? Although, professor Delacour could have easily thought you the Storm Charm. It is very practical as an evasive spell, as the storm it creates could be used as a distraction. Tempestas!'', Wilson fired upwards, creating a small thunderstorm with a few drops of rain. ''And this is how it starts, and it can, if you have enough knowledge and experience, turn into a nasty thunderstorm in the end'', he said. ''As for the Thunderbolt Curse, it is a very rare example of extremely dangerous magic. Although it can be very useful, its usage is somethat restricted and avoided by many, even Death Eaters, as it is one of the spells that can easily fail and cause damage to the user. It is extremely complex and hard to learn and even hared to control, which is why you won't learn how to use it in school. If you ever cross paths with it... just jump, as far as you can. I shall now demonstrate to you its effects on a smaller scale, of course'', Wilson said.

He took his wand and conjured a dummy several meters away from him. He pointed the wand at it. ''Attonbitus'', he fired. Three small thunderballs came out of his wand and then hit the dummy, turning it into ashes. ''And that is the Thunderbolt Charm. As you can see, it usage on a smaller scale can be dangerous. I am, of course, able to use it to almost full extent, but you, and that is one of the most friendly advices you will get from me, should not use it at least 30 years from now, not because of the others, but because of you'', Wilson said. ''Now, anything else? Also, 15 points for Slytherin'', he said.
James William Wilson
James William Wilson

Number of posts : 1085

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Howard Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:23 pm

The assumption that the only thing Slytherin’s knew well was Dark Magic truly irked Ariel. He knew it to be true but there were other things Slytherin’s were good at also. Yes, they were fairly gifted in the Dark Arts but that was down to bloodlines, it was the reason Mudblood’s never made it in. The Slytherin’s got the gene that gifted them in the Dark Arts, Gryffindor’s got the gene for Defence Against the Dark Arts and while the Hufflepuff’s got nothing, the Ravenclaw’s were adequate in all areas.

The assumption voiced by the Professor brought Ariel up short. He had not thought of one half of his spell being dark when he’d suggested it. He’d thought of it no differently than he would have done any other spell, it was merely a suggestion in an effort to gain points for his house or recognition from the Professor. “I’m sorry to disappoint you, sir, but I do not take Dark Arts.” Ariel deadpanned. He had watched the spells, already knowing what they did but he couldn’t help his fascination.

He’d known the spells since his third year when an exploration of the Restricted Section provided him with a few books that were wisely made off-limits to the vast majority of the school. He’d read them, memorised the spells, but he had not preformed them for his own sake as well as everyone else’s. The decision not to try and cast them was probably one of the few acts of kindness Ariel displayed to his fellow peers even though it no doubt went unrecognised. He believed strongly in the fact that he’d hurt himself more than he’d hurt anyone else, though. He felt that at this point in time, at his age, he wouldn’t be such a danger to himself now. He was definitely more self-aware as well as more learned in the practical section of the Magical Arts.
Peter Howard
Peter Howard
Hufflepuff Graduate
Hufflepuff Graduate

Number of posts : 336

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top