Christy's Suggestions - Page 3
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Christy's Suggestions - Page 3 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Christy's Suggestions

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Christy's Suggestions - Page 3 Empty Re: Christy's Suggestions

Post by Sandra Archer Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:23 pm

Well we still haven't really gotten a chance to see the tier system in work, and I think that that will encourage people to RP more realistically. But at the same time I feel the line between a system designed to promote realism and a dice system is very fine, and we're getting close to it.
Sandra Archer
Sandra Archer

Number of posts : 240
Special Abilities : Memory Manipulation and Apparition

Back to top Go down

Post by Christabelle Whittle Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:25 pm

True but you can't really have the tier system until you see them all and how they duel. We have to watch these things carefully and see where it goes.
Christabelle Whittle
Christabelle Whittle
Seventh Year Ravenclaw
Seventh Year Ravenclaw

Number of posts : 4350
Special Abilities : Seer, Legilimens

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:13 pm

I can see the sense in a die system, however i can see Sandra's point just as equally. We do need to find something to stop people arguing about winning, as few people want to lose, and everyone thinks they're in the right. i must admit, i do this too, but i am right Razz. I'm an admin, i always am Wink

Anyway, i'd keep an eye on how things go, and if arguments continue than yes, we may start testing a Die system
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Post by Elijah Krum Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:31 pm

I think we could do a names out of the hat thing.
Set the duellers and then assign them numbers.
Have the admins/mods or even regular players pick a number to see who gets to win.

Let's say for arguments sake, Sandra decides to duel with Jess... so Order vs. Death Eaters.
It could be numbers 1, 2 or 3
One meaning that Sandra wins,
Two meaning Jess wins,
And three granting a tie and they both walk out alive.

I think it'll work better like that. It would just have to be a case of 'Admins word is law' and that's the end of it. I think if it is something independently done between the admins and/or the mods then the duellers will just have to like it or lump it. If they don't like having their fate so to speak, decided by admins then the moral is that they don't duel.
Elijah Krum
Elijah Krum
Sixth Year Slytherin
Sixth Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 4833
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Parseltongue, Animagus
Occupation : Owner of Eli's Fine Dining, Artist, Deputy Minister of Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaat Lupin Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:36 pm

This does seem to make sense to me. I think that sometimes there is a lot of dueling for the sake of something to do that has a lot of omnipotent attitudes involved, and this would shortcut a lot of the horsehockey that happens when duels occur. I think its a really good way to put some order to things. Good thought, Eli!
Khaat Lupin
Khaat Lupin
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 23615
Special Abilities : Energy Worker, Medium, Heightened Sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Post by Jemma Tiquelle Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:54 pm

I think we should see how the tier system works, first. Once it's all sorted and such. If it fails we can go on to talk about dice and such. Eli, I can see that's a good idea but for every single duel on the site it might be a lot of work for the admins. Especially during battles and such.

Christy's Suggestions - Page 3 Qw9nLyk
~ enjoying her sixties ~ divination professor & head of hufflepuff ~ single ~ seer ~
~ biography ~ thread tracker ~

Set made by me. Want one? Accepting requests here.
Jemma Tiquelle
Jemma Tiquelle
Graduate
Graduate

Number of posts : 6601
Special Abilities : Seer, Occlumens, Apparation and Astral Projection.

http://www.zazzle.com/magicalmalteaser*

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew Lestrange Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:41 am

See, what I was wondering is if you can't win a duel with someone in a higher tier than you. Cause I was reading the 'Magic' thread in Other Info and it seems legit. Not to mention, some people can win using agility or something along those lines. I think we need to pay more attention to that thread, it gives alot of information and stuff.

Seventh Year Slytherin
Seventh Year Slytherin

Number of posts : 6872

Back to top Go down

Post by Christabelle Whittle Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:15 am

This is true and I'm all for giving the tier system a try first. But we need something definately. And we need to watch for god modding. I know everyone can try not to but it also gets hard to do if you're in a duel and people can't constantly dodge every spell. One of them has to hit at some point regardless of what tier you're on. Like what Matt said with agility. I mean my character was raised learning the dark arts and how to defend against them as well as charms. I mean people who are quick to think in a fight are more likely to win than someone more powerful than them because they could outsmart them.
Christabelle Whittle
Christabelle Whittle
Seventh Year Ravenclaw
Seventh Year Ravenclaw

Number of posts : 4350
Special Abilities : Seer, Legilimens

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:29 am

Having said that, your character was never actually trained to fight specifically against Dark Arts, or charms, and you didn't achieve Agility or what not. All it takes is for me to say in my App:

Bio: Jess is an incredibly gifted wizard, he is the creator of many spells, and has defeated countless dark wizards in overseas lands. He was trained to be fast and good with knives, and is very strong, because he went through intensive training at age 5, so he can now be really fast and good.
Jess is brilliant in all aspects of magic, and is a formidable foe

Yes, i'd never accept anything like that, but others seem to, and this problem was particularly apparent with Ne'os.

So really i would stick straight with the tier system, have a die system that's oriented with the tiers if need be, but that's just how i see it.
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Post by Jemma Tiquelle Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:52 pm

^If that is in an app. it shouldn't be accepted.

And I think tier system first, then if we still have problems we'll probably introduce a dice system. Lets just see what happens first before we start making plans if more things go wrong, lol Razz.

Christy's Suggestions - Page 3 Qw9nLyk
~ enjoying her sixties ~ divination professor & head of hufflepuff ~ single ~ seer ~
~ biography ~ thread tracker ~

Set made by me. Want one? Accepting requests here.
Jemma Tiquelle
Jemma Tiquelle
Graduate
Graduate

Number of posts : 6601
Special Abilities : Seer, Occlumens, Apparation and Astral Projection.

http://www.zazzle.com/magicalmalteaser*

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top