A multitude of Septembers
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

A multitude of Septembers  Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

A multitude of Septembers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A multitude of Septembers  Empty A multitude of Septembers

Post by Melissa Finnigan Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:32 pm

The first crisp breath of autumn air dipped low over the hills that rose up around the castle that housed Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Despite the chill that purveyed the grounds, however, the summer sunshine still smiled down upon the heads of mussed hair that belonged to the students lolloping over the grass towards the Black Lake or down to the Care of Magical Creatures paddock for the lessons with that year’s newest addition to the staff table: Professor C. Dyllan. The feel of the summertime was still bright and open in the air and the optimism and easy tempers of the students was evidence of that fact, even if they did cuddle a little closer in their robes.

Period one ended with the resounding thud of a Transfiguration textbook hitting the back wall of the classroom, narrowly missing the dark tresses atop the head of Bowie Ivanov. The resounding screams from the Professor that there would be yet another letter home sent the four teenagers out of the classroom and into the grounds, repairing down towards the Black Lake. A free period after their first lesson preceded break time and as winter set in, the teenagers would increasingly retreat to sit by the fireside in the library, however while the fair weather held they were determined to enjoy the sunshine and so it was into the grounds that they traipsed.

The ancient yews that had grown up by the river provided ample protection from the breeze coming off of the water and, after setting down a blanket they fetched from a hole created by the roots rising out of the soft mud, the teenagers sat down and shed their outer robes, rolling up their t-shirts and loosening their ties, enjoying the sunshine while it lasted. However, activity was something the boys needed and they soon took off their jumpers, rolled up the legs of their trousers and abandoned their shoes and socks in favour for plodding around in the shallows of the lake where newts and other little creatures were happily roaming.

“Lee, have you done the Herbology homework yet?” Barrie asked, looking up from the parcel of miniature apple pies she’d pilfered from the kitchens that morning.

“Nah,” Liam replied, reaching down into the water to pull away a piece of pond weed. “When’s it due?”

“Next lesson, mate.” Bowie replied with a broad grin. “S’okay, I’ll deal with it. Penny fancies me.”

“No, she doesn’t,” Kelly spluttered indignantly, grasping up one of the pies before pulling back her arm and flinging it at Bowie.

“Oi!”

The pie bopped the Ivanov man on the head and landed in the water, much to the delight of a passing school of fish wiggling through the shallows. Bowie scowled, his hands falling to his hips for a moment before he took off, wading through the water after his pie.

“COME BACK, DEMON AQUATIC ANIMALS! I WANT MY FOOD!”

(OOC: A short post as promised, ahah.)
Melissa Finnigan
Melissa Finnigan
Seventh Year Gryffindor
Seventh Year Gryffindor

Number of posts : 669
Special Abilities : Seer

Back to top Go down

A multitude of Septembers  Empty Re: A multitude of Septembers

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Sat May 03, 2014 7:42 am

((seeing as future threads are typically so sketchy anyway, I’m putting Archer at 11, especially since I just don’t know how far in the future this is. Also... I'm so sorry.))

Sunny Dyllan always seemed to notice Archer. His parents did as well, of course, but the last day of August was a busy day indeed. Everyone was hurriedly finishing their packing, tracking down lost robes and books, attempting to cage pets that would need to make the journey too. Archer was packed and ready – he was the meticulous Dyllan-Morrison, after all, so organization and forethought was sort of his thing. While the home of Layabout Lane was overturned, he sat quietly at the end of his bed, a muggle book in his lap that had been given to him by “Uncle” Albus Potter. Plato. He had read it before, but he understood more and more of it with every reread. His single trunk was patiently waiting next to his door, his room tidy and orderly, and his owl asleep in her cage. Of course he had an owl – it was the most practical pet to have.

Sunny did not knock – a familial trait that stressed comfort and lack of privacy. Archer looked up at the woman he had called his cousin for the past eleven years, even though they both knew she was a sister. He called her by what she was technically because he was a technical boy, but Sunny was his sister more than anyone else in the world. And she was more his parents child than he could ever hope to be. Every trait of his parents had somehow skipped him, whereas Sunny had collected every good scrap of Jack and every wonderful bit of Max. Nevertheless, she seemed the most drawn to him of everyone in the house – and there was a small village within the confines of Layabout Lane. Rudy and Nikki were close because of the similarity of age, and Sunny and Archer were close because… who knew why?

“Big bad first year, reading Greek political theory,” Sunny said, leaning in the doorway, her dark red hair spilling out of the messy ponytail. “Is that what Master Potter gave you?”

Archer nodded. “Yeah – it was one of his copies, but he got a box set for Christmas a few years ago.”

“Fancy,” Sunny said, her American accent as strong as ever. She could not make herself blend in if she tried. She came into the room, closing the door behind her, flicking the overhead light on. Archer’s owl, Hypatia, hooted in irritation and Sunny stooped. “Sorry, Patia, I’m not nocturnal.” The owl shook herself indignantly and buried her head under her wing. Archer quietly memorized the page number and closed his book, reaching over to set the book on his desk. Sunny stood and walked over to his window, pulling the blinds to reveal the comfortable neighborhood that her mom had settled into with the man that was exactly the sort of father she had always wanted.
“This house can never leave the family,” Sunny said fondly.

Archer stared at her back and heaved a shrug. “Okay.” A house was a house. He guessed this house was nice, but he was sure it was as good as any. Then again, his experience was limited, he supposed. He didn’t want to hurt Sunny’s feelings, since she felt so strongly on the point, and he felt so little. “I like it.”

Sunny turned and watched her brother. “Excited?”

“No.”

“What are you?”

“Prepared.”

Sunny smiled, but it faded slowly. “Mom and Dad are trying to help Rudy and Nikki for tomorrow. They’ll be better tomorrow. You know how scattered Max can be. And Jack’s not exactly hypersensitive. But they’re so excited for you. And sad. But… you know… good sad”

“I know,” Archer said. He stared at Sunny, whose wide eyes seemed to want to see through what she thought was a carefully constructed exterior. Sure, Archer had been a little disheartened by the inattention, but he also knew himself to be skittish among a careful eye, so he had little right to feel jilted either.  It was his first year, yes, but had he not been the one to insist that no one treat him any differently? “Tomorrow will be better, I know.” He smiled, certain that this optimistic phrase would win the ever idealist in Sunny. Archer was clever, and his deduction was correct. She smiled and headed for the door, before casting a quick look out the window.

“You should keep the blinds open,” she suggested. “Sometimes, when I got homesick at Hogwarts, I just wished I could look out and see my own neighborhood. You know?”

Archer stared at his sister, who seemed to love this house and this family more than she loved breath. This home would never be anything short of her favorite place in the whole world. He guessed it made sense, considering her strange gifts, and lack thereof. Home had always been the best comfort for her, where she most belonged. Somehow, Archer did not think he would be able to explain that to Sunny, though. “Yeah, I do,” Archer lied.

- - -

He was up first, surely. His alarm went off and he quickly showered and dressed, before grabbing his trunk and heading off into the kitchen with it. His eleven years in this life would indicate that he would be the first to rise. After all, he had set his alarm for an insanely early wake-up call – not out of nerves, but preparedness. He did his best to quietly carry his trunk to the door, setting it gently beside the door, before heading towards the kitchen. He would make himself a quick cup of tea, a light breakfast, maybe make a sandwich for the train ride.

He was surprised, therefore, to see the kitchen already occupied, and occupied by none other than his mother. To further surprise him, she had made tea, rather than opened a can of soda. She was sitting facing the kitchen window, watching the sun rise, hands cupping the warm mug. She wasn’t even nearing forty, and somehow managed to look ten years older and younger all the same. There was something perpetually young in her face, her humor he supposed, that kept her skin firm and bright. But she also looked as though she had never slept a full night’s sleep in her entire life. Archer had never been sure what to make of his mother. Sunny kept assuring him that he would understand Jack when he got older. He supposed he had to trust her on that.

“Morning, mum,” he said.

She started and turned to see him. “Archer – it’s so early.” She grinned. “You’re like me, I guess. I like an early start.” He raised an eyebrow, feeling as though this trait did not fit his sloppy, jokester of a mother. But she was not one to lie, so he would take it for truth or denial. She overturned a mug and poured a handsome amount, before setting it before a chair. He slowly approached the chair and sat, taking a drink of the tea. Strong. His mother’s tea was always strong.

“It’s a good view,” his mother said. Archer followed her gaze, looking out the window. Their entire neighborhood was on soft hills, so he could see beyond the next row of houses to green pastures. The sun stretched orange fingers across the land, warming everything with a brilliant autumn haze. He had closed the blinds after Sunny had left and could not find it within him to regret the action – bed had called. But now, he supposed he understood what advantage this house had on other houses. Not every house could have such a nice view.

“I like it,” he said, this time, a bit more decidedly.

Jack looked over at him and smiled. “Now, I’ve said it to Sunny, and Nikki, and Rudy – the ‘your father and I love you and support you no matter what’ speech. And as you can see, they have took it to heart. Nearly one of every House. But, Archer, I think you know that a House barely says anything about a person. Look at your father – a Hufflepuff, and yet he sure knows how to trick you all into eating your vegetables like a true Slytherin. And I’m the Gryffindor who knows everything, because your mother knows everything.” She smirked. He tried to keep the sigh – jokes, always jokes.

Jack studied her son for a moment, before slowly waving her wand. A piece of parchment appeared and she handed it to him. “You remember me showing you this?” She muttered the familiar phrase, and the writing of the Marauder’s Map unfolded. Archer nodded, remembering the stories this map had birthed. “Take it with you.”

Archer looked up. “Mum-“

Jack shook her head. “Your siblings never needed help getting into trouble. Without the right encouragement, I’m afraid you’ll never break a rule.” She smiled, before firmly setting the parchment in his hands. “It’s my gift, Archer.”

He looked down at it for a long time, and then up at his mother. He whispered, “Mischief managed,” and the writing disappeared. He tucked the map away and his mother smiled. She looked back out the window, and sipped on her tea, falling into a long quiet musing.

He, too, was enjoying the silence and the peace of the morning, when Jack decided to break the silence. “Archer – you’re going to love Hogwarts in ways your siblings never have, and you’re going to dislike it for reasons they never even considered. I want you to go into Hogwarts and be unashamedly you. I can’t tell you to make friends or to watch out for yourself… because I trust you, love.” She looked at him for a long moment, and then lightened the mood with a smile. “And I don’t want to be too much of a mom, so I promise not to hug if you don’t want me to. I’m not sentimental anyway. And I won’t cry.” She grinned a bit wider. “Your dad might, but I promise I won’t.”

Archer nodded. “Okay, mom.”

Right before he boarded the train for the first time, he let him mom hug him, and he hugged her back. Nice and tight. It was for this reason that she broke her promise, and cried as soon as she and her husband were back at home all by themselves.

- - -

Archer had decided to investigate this Giant Squid rumor. Sure, his mother had always claimed to be great pals with the creature, but he was never sure of when she was teasing and when she was serious. He had spent very little time outside, choosing instead to put his mother’s map to use and get to know the ins and outs of the castle. Soon, he knew of every quiet place in the castle that provided the peace he preferred for reading. The boy knew, though, that the good weather would continue on its way and his chance to meet a marine oddity would be delayed until spring. If he wanted to see the Squid, he needed to begin trying now.

After his History of Magic class - a class he seemed to be the lone pupil of, for everyone else seemed asleep or brain dead within moments of the class beginning – he headed out of the castle and veered towards the lake. He found, as he approached the spot he had once spotted ripples, that he was not the only one enjoying the nice weather. Among others, his cousins (or something like that), the Hayes, were roughhousing along the beach of the Great Lake. He slowed his gait – he had not interacted much with his fellow students, yet, and certainly not with elder ones. But, he supposed it would be good to start with family. They would be more forgiving, after all.

As he approached, he called out, “Hi Kelly, Liam.” He looked out to the lake, clutching his History of Magic textbook, unable to keep some of the wonder off of his face. “Is there really a Giant Squid in there?”
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10287
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

https://jackles-feels-feelings.polyvore.com/

Back to top Go down

A multitude of Septembers  Empty Re: A multitude of Septembers

Post by James Potter Fri May 09, 2014 8:57 pm

(ooc: I’m going to start this thread, but I may not keep it up, just because there are so dang many people to keep up with now that we’re all posting in this thread. If anyone wants to do a separate thread with just some of them, let me know. That said, I’d appreciate it - if I end up getting lost and dropping this - if my characters could just exit stage right and be left to their own devices. I’m sure you all know how protective I get of them, and love getting to build them bit by bit…)

“It is in no way my fault!” Noelle snapped, trailing behind Ariadne as they left the library. As usual, the Gryffindor had managed to get them thrown out of the home of books. Her twin, on the other hand, seemed a bit more on the calm side, even for a Gryffindor. But then, Tim didn’t know Holly as well as he did the girl walking next to them. What he did know, however, was that Noelle didn’t take after her mum so much as her godmother. The Ivanovs probably didn’t even take after her as much as Noelle seemed to sometimes. Then again, if anyone reminded Tim of Mrs. Ivanov, it was Zachary; after all, the boy had spent most of his time with her growing up according to Ariadne.

As if she could tell when his thoughts strayed to her – which, in all honesty, happened often – Ariadne reached out a hand and wrapped her fingers around his bicep, walking closer beside him. “Actually, Elle, it totally is.” Ariadne returned, even as a kind smile lit her face. Tim grinned openly, again endeared by his girlfriend’s gentle, entirely-Hufflepuff nature. Then again, he was hardly one to talk as he donned his yellow Hufflepuff badge.

“Oh, c’mon. Tim. You were there. Tell her.”

“What was I supposed to do, Elle?” He replied with an apologetic look. “We’re prefects. You’re just lucky Ari isn’t Head Girl, or she might’ve had to do something.”

Noelle huffed audibly, crossing her arms over her chest as the three descended the stairs and started off to their first class. “It’s not like we weren’t about to leave anyways,” she pointed out after a while, clearly back to her generally sarcastic but upbeat self. Shrugging it off, the seventh year glanced over at Tim. “Besides, I’m older than you, Pierson, so you should just let it be. I’m going to graduate this year anyway.”

Tim just rolled his eyes, leaning into Ariadne as she squeezed his arm gently. He wasn’t without the tempers of his parents, but he did a much better job of controlling it. Especially when Ariadne was there to shoot him a look if he got a little dramatic. At least his parents weren’t there to make fun of him for it; Bentley was always chiding his son if Tim failed to be the gentleman they wanted him to be. It hadn’t been a surprise, of course, when he had been sorted into Hufflepuff instead of Gryffindor or Slytherin like the Pierson patriarchs.

Noelle and Ariadne prattled on as they made their way through the halls, aiming for the girls’ first classroom. Rather than listening, the youngest of the three had his mind set on an essay he had yet to finish; he wasn’t behind, exactly, just hadn’t completed his Potions essay, which was due the next day. Dropping a kiss on Ariadne’s head, Tim ignored Noelle’s eye rolling and set off for his first class before break.

-  -

A little over an hour later, Tim found himself heading down to the lake, where most of his friends would undoubtedly end up during break. Just as he was shrugging his shoulders to adjust his book bag, he heard footsteps behind him.

“Oi, Pierson.”

Tim glanced over his shoulder to find one of the Malfoy twins headed his direction. Judging by the robes, it was Darien, the Gryffindor. The Hufflepuff wondered in the back of his mind if Darien’s father truly appreciated what the situation was with his children; only one Slytherin out of the three, and the first had been a Ravenclaw – not even the same house as their mother. Tim had to keep quiet about his opinions of the Malfoy patriarch, especially around the Gryffindor twin. Although he had been denied his ‘proper place’ as head of the family after his father, Darien was strangely protective of his brother and the choice that had been made regarding the next heir.

“What’s the matter?” Tim returned, slowing so the fifth year could catch up.

“Have you seen Eva around?” Darien asked, falling into step with the older boy. “I’ve been meaning to return her book.”

“Her book?” Tim asked, eyebrow lifted. “You don’t really like reading…”

“That’s not entirely true,” Darien returned, looking affronted. “It was for an essay, and-“

“It’s fine, mate.” Tim interrupted, “I know. But you should know that she has a thing for Daniel.”

“I’m aware.” Darien snapped, face dark. Tim couldn’t help but think that he looked very like his father in his most frustrated moments, and rather like his mother when frustrated with Darien’s father. Thanks to a very complicated weaving of friendships between the parents of his classmates, Tim knew just about all of them, and had seen innumerable encounters between them. Ever the observant sort, the prefect couldn’t help but attribute things to each of his friends’ upbringings.

“I haven’t seen her. But if I do, I’ll say you’re looking for her, yeah?” He offered, waiting until the younger boy nodded before continuing. “Let’s go see what everyone is up to.”

The boys made their way down the slight hill of the grounds before reaching a group of students by the lake. The Hayes twins, Archer and an Ivanov were standing around and chatting. As soon as they entered hearing range, Archer asked after what lived in the lake.

“Should be, yeah.” Tim replied, dropping his bag next to a tree and settling himself on the grass. “Haven’t seen it myself, but I don’t exactly go looking for it.”
James Potter
James Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 265

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top