Changes for Hogwarts this year - Page 2
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

Changes for Hogwarts this year - Page 2 Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

Changes for Hogwarts this year

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Changes for Hogwarts this year - Page 2 Empty Re: Changes for Hogwarts this year

Post by Amelia Lyons Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:24 am

Okay. So I might have gotten a bit carried away, but I have always had some characters in the back of my mind that I never created because I don't have enough time to write them all, and this idea of getting to create professor NPCs for the unfilled teaching positions gave me an outlet for some of those characters. I hope no one minds that I went ahead and did this. I want you to know that although I did this all in one sweep, I am more than open to suggestions on how these characters could be different or better, or if you want to scrap any of them altogether.

-----------------

So here's the list:

Ancient Runes
Nmur Maddrool stands roughly three feet high, but his goblin pride makes him appear much more intimidating than his height might suggest. Nmur has the characteristic pointed ears and permanent frown of the goblin species, and he wears oversized, thick round glasses perched on his sharply hooked nose. These glasses exaggerate the size of his eyes, which gives him the permanently startled look of a woodland creature caught in headlights. Nmur is a man of very few words – in fact, most of his lessons consist only of writing on the chalkboard and having students copy down notes in silence. He is a bit of a contradiction in that he can sometimes be skeptical about sharing his not-insignificant knowledge about runes with the wizarding population (goblins can be so secretive), but he has chosen to teach at Hogwarts so the knowledge will not be lost altogether.
- Credit to the brilliant Amelia Lyons

Arithmancy
Calpernicus Patzner is a 48-year-old wizard with a penchant for numbers. He has been married for a number of years and has three children: Xenon, Gideon, and Magdelena. He is an amiable person, but can come off as a bit eccentric. He has a very odd sense of humor and will often make jokes that he is the only one to understand. He has a “geek” appearance to him, with dark, combed over hair, pressed white shirts, and clean khaki pants. He also has a habit of quoting from muggle movies and television shows no one has ever heard of. Calpernicus is a brilliant mind, probably one of the most naturally intelligent professors at Hogwarts, but his peculiarities make him a bit of a running joke among the student population.

Astronomy
Autumn Mazzulla is a statuesque, dark-skinned, 30-year-old woman with a heavy African accent. She has close-cut, tightly curled hair that she often wears beneath a brightly colored turban. She is partial to heavy metal jewelry and wears brightly colored wraps almost exclusively. She grew up in Zimbabwe and was taught to chart the stars and their movements from a young age. Autumn is a very commanding presence in her classroom, and has a temper that has snapped on more than a few of her students. She is easily irritated by impertinent questions because they are a waste of time, but is prone to going off on tangents about her personal life during class. Most students think this makes her hypocritical (and more than a little odd), but wouldn’t dream of pointing this out for fear of her sharp temper and heavy-handed house point deductions.

Divination
Clinton Iola is the third in a series of centaur professors of divination, carrying on the tradition Dumbledore began when he hired Firenze to split teaching duties with the then professor, Sybil Trelawny. Trelawny has since retired in her old age, and no centaur wants to retain professorial positions for too long (too much time indoors in bad for centaurs’ auras), but Clinton is taking his turn indoors. He took the teaching position two years ago, and since then, his wavy, shoulder-length auburn hair and bare, muscular torso have been drawing the female population to his class like bees to honey. Clinton is overly philosophical, so much of what he tries to teach to his student audience goes right over their heads, but that doesn’t seem to bother many of his students. He has a “there is no wrong answer” policy, which allows students to scrape through his classes with little to no effort, as long as they can keep the glazed look out of their eyes while he is explaining the meaning of the universe…. for the 12th time this term.

Flying
Jordan Grissman is a 22-year-old former Gryffindor student who has just recently taken the position of flight instructor and quidditch referee. He is tall to the point of looking stretched, with exceedingly pale skin and hair. Jordan played chaser for a professional quidditch team for a few years, but didn’t see much action on the pitch, and was eventually forced out of the league by a bludger-induced injury. Jordan is well-meaning and polite, but has roughly the same intellectual capacity as a well-trained Labrador Retriever. He is easily distracted from everything except flying and women (unless one is distracting him from the other - - he would really be torn, then) and has a haphazard teaching method that mostly involves trial and error.

Herbology
Robert Frankenberg is a man in his late 50’s, with rough dark hair starting to be strewn through with grey. He has dark olive-tone skin that has seen a lot of sun damage. In his younger years, Professor Frankenberg had a bit of a reputation for being wild; he smoked and drank from a young age, and marijuana was the tamest of the drugs he indulged in (and, ironically, the drug that gave him his passion for all things grown). He has since settled down considerably, and has two daughters from a former marriage, both of them married and getting ready to start families of their own. Robert has a flair for the dramatic, and tends to run his lessons as though they were stage performances, flailing around and occasionally knocking over the very plants he is trying to teach. He is known for his clumsiness, and tends to have a “cooky grandfather” approach to teaching.

History of Magic (this is the only one I didn’t write. I took this from HPL)
Professor Cuthbert Binns was a wizard and History of Magic professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. taught until a very old age, when he fell asleep in the staff room and died in slumber. Now, he is a ghost who continued to teach, droning on about various Goblin Rebellions and Giant Wars to bored, sleeping students. Professor Binns's lessons were regarded as some of the most boring at Hogwarts.

Muggle Studies
Karen Gosse is a 63-year-old witch who, at age 18, married a muggle dentist six years her senior and has never looked back. She has been teaching at Hogwarts since her mid-twenties, when she discovered she would be unable to have children. Karen had always wanted to surround herself with young people, and found that teaching at Hogwarts allowed her to fill that void. Karen in muggle-born, so it was only natural for her to have a working knowledge that could be put to use as the muggle studies professor. Karen is a bookish woman and wears horn-rimmed glasses that are permanently perched on the tip of her nose or hanging from a necklace of small colored beads around her neck. She is a kindly teacher who sometimes ends up being taken advantage of because of her soft spot for her students.

-------------------------------------

Please feel free to give me feedback on this list. Also, once we complete the list and descriptions, I think it might be a good idea to also make this list available to the general membership so they will know to whom we are referring when we mention a particular NPC professor, and they could also use these as situation building blocks (i.e. could be doing homework for Professor Gosse's class, but consider blowing it off because she's so nice; that sort of thing). What do people think of that idea?

Let me know your thoughts, everyone!
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Number of posts : 1645
Special Abilities : Occlumens, Apparation

Back to top Go down

Changes for Hogwarts this year - Page 2 Empty Re: Changes for Hogwarts this year

Post by Jess Potter Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:52 am

First thing I did when I saw this was go to one of my conversation windows with another admin and say "My god I love Amelia."

This is brilliant.

The only thing I have to say is that I was actually considering creating an Oliver Wood character later in the term (depending on how activity it going) and having him act as the Quidditch Coach...

But I'm not sure I should now.

And it wasn't really that planned out, just something I was going to do if it was active later in the term...

Oh well.

And I think that because we're having the empty classrooms, we could post each NPC teacher's mini-profile that you wrote in the class as a sonorous topic, as well as the whole list in the Great hall.

But you're brilliant... thanks!!
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 14221
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Seer, Flying, Legilimens

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356010139

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Lyons Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:37 am

Very Happy Awe, Thanks Jess. I'm glad your response was so overwhelmingly positive.

As to the Oliver Wood business, if you want to replace Jordan later in the semester, he could always just get an offer from another professional quidditch team or something that could remove him from the quidditch position. Or you could create Jordan Grissman instead of Oliver Wood and just make a played character out of that NPC. It is up to you.

Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:01 am

Very true.
Alright, that was my only problem. I like it, and will fully endorse it's creation!
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Lyons Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Alright, are you going to take care of posting it for the general population, or should I do that? If I should do it, where would you like me to post it and when?
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Potter Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:30 pm

I'll post it because only the admins have access to the classes right now...

And because they haven't been made yet >.>

*Shuffles feet and looks away awkwardly*

But I shall link your name into it for all of them (And I know that you weren't asking for that, but I'd feel bad if i didn't)
Jess Potter
Jess Potter
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Lyons Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:53 am

Thanks, Jess. We all know the admins are always working on something or another. You'll get around to everything eventually.
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:45 am

I love all of them.

My one concern is Grindy would not allow Karen to speak well of muggles, would he. Muggle studies really should be a class that teaches about how futile muggles exsistence is.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10287
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

https://jackles-feels-feelings.polyvore.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia Lyons Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:51 am

I did consider that before I made the character, but I thought maybe having a muggle-loving teacher on staff might be an interesting thing for Grindelwald to have to rebel against. Perhaps she is particularly difficult to remove because she has relatives in the ministry that Grindelwald needs as allies? I just thought that giving Grindelwald some resistance in the form of a kindly old woman might be interesting to reference from an NPC perspective, but if others agree that Grindelwald would have just ousted her and changed the position, we can create another character for that role.
Amelia Lyons
Amelia Lyons
Ravenclaw Graduate
Ravenclaw Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:59 am

I like that idea too.

Eventually, she could be publically sacked, as though to make an example out of her.

I'd like her to stay though, and help with the muggle appreciation club. She can be that sneaky old woman who never leaves. XD
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10287
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

https://jackles-feels-feelings.polyvore.com/

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top