solution?
Welcome to Potter’s Army

Welcome to Potter's Army

We have been a Harry Potter Roleplaying site since 2007. If you're an old member we hope you come check out the discord link provided below. And if you're looking for a new roleplaying site, well, we're a little inactive. But every once and a while nostalgia sets in and a few of our alumni members will revisit the old stomping grounds and post together. Remember to stay safe out there. And please feel free to drop a line whenever!

solution? Li9olo10

What’s Happening?
Since every few months or so a few of our old members get the inspiration to revisit their old stomping grounds we have decided to keep PA open as a place to revisit old threads and start new ones devoid of any serious overarching plot or setting. Take this time to start any of those really weird threads you never got to make with old friends and make them now! Just remember to come say hello in the chatbox below or in the discord. Links have been provided in the "Comings and Goings" forum as well as the welcome widget above.

solution?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

solution? Empty solution?

Post by Lucy Weasley Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:22 am

so I have two problems on PA. Remembering who plays who, and when people post with the wrong character, or post for two characters with one account.

The second one has been less of a problem lately, but it slowly crept back in during the battle.

However, if PA was an account per player board instead of account per character, both those problems would be solved.

Yes, no, maybe? Thoughts?
Lucy Weasley
Lucy Weasley
Seventh Year Hufflepuff
Seventh Year Hufflepuff

Number of posts : 159

Back to top Go down

solution? Empty Re: solution?

Post by Ne'Os Emof Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:02 am

So like multiple accounts for one email vs one account for one email? or what? i don't think i'm quite understanding because what i read to your question is the exact same thing :/ but for the remembering who is who there is a post for that somewhere. Posting on the wrong account i didn't see but idk and then the two characters its usually one is a NPC or starts out with the name of the character they are posting as. So idk.

P.S. that three problems Razz

P.S.S why don't you ever post these questions as Selwyn? Very Happy
Ne'Os Emof
Ne'Os Emof
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Number of posts : 5547
Special Abilities : Wandless magic, Invisibility

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Weasley Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:01 am

As usual, you dazzle me with your insight, Ne'os.

Account per player means you have one log in, using a screen name, and all of your characters are played from that account. IE, every player has one account.

Account per character is what we're using now. For every character you want to play, you create a new account.

Currently, we have several members who, rather than logging out of each account and logging into a new one, simply RP two or more of their characters in the same post. Since this is how account per player boards work, I think we should consider changing to that system.

Lucy Weasley
Lucy Weasley
Seventh Year Hufflepuff
Seventh Year Hufflepuff

Number of posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Post by Ne'Os Emof Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:17 am

I know i usually aim my blonde moments at you Smile

but despite your usual rudeness thank you for making that clearer.

And to actually answer i would rather keep what we have since it works everywhere i don't see anyone use multiple people on one account except for like two people.
Ne'Os Emof
Ne'Os Emof
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Number of posts : 5547
Special Abilities : Wandless magic, Invisibility

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:34 am

Actually Ne'os, I've seen many people do so, and it does get quite annoying. But still, the current system works well. Account per player does have its advantages, but I don't think it will work on PA. For one, there will be a lot of confusion. for example: you won't directly know which characters are involved in a thread just by immediately looking through it. I think it will also affect character development with people treating their other characters as NPC's rather than real characters with POV's (although, some of us already do that.). Also, We have character profiles for each character, which gives handy quick information for other members.

We could create a rule against using two or more characters in the same post though. In my opinion, a person with multiple accounts shouldn't have relationships between their own characters, and therefore we shouldn't really be seeing these posts with two or three characters in it.
Darren
Darren

Number of posts : 22273
Special Abilities : Wandless Magic, Leglimens,

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:42 am

The only thing I really have to add to that is sometimes people use their own charries as a NPC. For example, two of my charries are sisters, so a lot of times I will quickly use the other like a NPC. I do that with a few, but I try not to have two thought processes.

I have seen that though, where there are multiple subconsciouses and it gets painful to read.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10287
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

https://jackles-feels-feelings.polyvore.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingsley Shacklebolt Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:00 am

I don't know. When there were few characters per person, APC made more sense. Currently most PA members have 10-20 characters each, most which are made for other people, or for their own characters. Since people aren't taking their characters seriously, it doesn't make sense to have an account for each character. So APP would be more convenient.
Kingsley Shacklebolt

Number of posts : 1463

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaquellene Jack Dyllan Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:14 pm

I honestly would find it very confusing. I have thought about it a few times, though. One site I am on, you can have one account put several profiles and every time you post, you pick between a scroll down bar on the profile you'd like to use.

While it might be more convenient, I think it'd be a big, shocking change, and it would be really confusing. I think it might be better to just crack down on the few who are abusing the current system.
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Jaquellene Jack Dyllan
Gryffindor Graduate
Gryffindor Graduate

Number of posts : 10287
Special Abilities : Occlumency
Occupation : Unspeakable | Beater for the Falmouth Falcons | Deed-Holder of Satan's

https://jackles-feels-feelings.polyvore.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingsley Shacklebolt Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:33 pm

Yeah, most PA members won't be happy much. You'd have to delete all their other accounts most likely. And APP doesn't really focus on personal sigs, play by's or avatars, which this site is obsessed with.

It doesn't really matter to me though, I only have one character. ^^ But, it does annoy me to see people treating their other characters like NPC', so a rule against that would be great.
Kingsley Shacklebolt

Number of posts : 1463

Back to top Go down

Post by Scorpius Malfoy Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:00 pm

Jaquellene "Jack" Dyllan wrote:I honestly would find it very confusing. I have thought about it a few times, though. One site I am on, you can have one account put several profiles and every time you post, you pick between a scroll down bar on the profile you'd like to use.

sorry, posting with non-accepted charrie!

That sounds like the SMF linked accounts mod, Jack. It kind of allows you to blend APP & ACP in the perfect combination. I know there are a couple of different boards out that moved to SMF specifically to use it.

HOWEVER you've just reminded me of someone's doc I read about the most useful additions to firefox for RP, and I think there was one that did something similar. If I can find it, I'll post the link.

Scorpius Malfoy
Scorpius Malfoy
Slytherin Graduate
Slytherin Graduate

Number of posts : 37

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top